Raising high-170s LSAT average Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
april_ludgate

Bronze

Raising high-170s LSAT average

Post by april_ludgate » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:21 pm

I promise I'm not bragging or troll posting, I really just want some advice.

I have a 3.9x GPA but like NO softs and I desperately need scholarship money (already have $50k of loans from undergrad) so I want the highest LSAT score possible, hopefully on my first take in September. My PT average is currently like 177; my highest ever was a 179 (but that was on a PT with a question removed from scoring so I don't really count it). My diagnostic was in the high 160s, my mistakes almost solely in logic games. I worked my way through the bible and then drilled games over and over again. Now for the past few weeks all I've been doing is PTs, two days in a row, break, then repeat. But I can't seem to raise my average or hit 179/180 (which I know is extremely difficult to do at this stage). And what I'm getting wrong seems to be random, across sections and question types. Is there anything I can do to get one or two extra points, especially since everyone says your score on test day is usually a few points below your average (I'm pretty worried about that since getting up at 6 am to test is a nightmare for me right now honestly). Should I just keep taking PTs and hope for the best?

Pozzo

Gold

Re: Raising high-170s LSAT average

Post by Pozzo » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:45 pm

Have you plugged the questions you're getting wrong into some sort of analytics tracker (a la 7sage) to see if they truly are random? Even if they aren't of a particular type, are they the more difficult questions? At this point, going from 177 to 180 is some weird combination of luck and having the test become truly second nature. One thing that might help is to alleviate some of the pressure you're putting on yourself. At a 3.9x, anything above a 175 is going to give you some truly, truly fantastic options. Spend the next couple weeks staying in the groove, and then once the test is done, focus on putting together a solid application. You'll be golden.

(Also, count the freaking 179! The question was removed from scoring for a reason. If that was your actual test, LSAC would have reported a 179 and law schools wouldn't have cared that one question was removed from scoring.)

april_ludgate

Bronze

Post by april_ludgate » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:51 pm

Pozzo wrote:Have you plugged the questions you're getting wrong into some sort of analytics tracker (a la 7sage) to see if they truly are random? Even if they aren't of a particular type, are they the more difficult questions? At this point, going from 177 to 180 is some weird combination of luck and having the test become truly second nature. One thing that might help is to alleviate some of the pressure you're putting on yourself. At a 3.9x, anything above a 175 is going to give you some truly, truly fantastic options. Spend the next couple weeks staying in the groove, and then once the test is done, focus on putting together a solid application. You'll be golden.

(Also, count the freaking 179! The question was removed from scoring for a reason. If that was your actual test, LSAC would have reported a 179 and law schools wouldn't have cared that one question was removed from scoring.)
I'd actually never heard of an analytics tracker, so I guess I should get on that! Not sure if they're the most difficult questions, but I guess maybe the tracker would tell me? Not sure how they work but I'll find out. And I don't count the 179 because they removed the question so I had more time for the questions on that section overall haha. Thanks so much!

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:57 pm

april_ludgate wrote:
Pozzo wrote:Have you plugged the questions you're getting wrong into some sort of analytics tracker (a la 7sage) to see if they truly are random? Even if they aren't of a particular type, are they the more difficult questions? At this point, going from 177 to 180 is some weird combination of luck and having the test become truly second nature. One thing that might help is to alleviate some of the pressure you're putting on yourself. At a 3.9x, anything above a 175 is going to give you some truly, truly fantastic options. Spend the next couple weeks staying in the groove, and then once the test is done, focus on putting together a solid application. You'll be golden.

I'd actually never heard of an analytics tracker, so I guess I should get on that! Not sure if they're the most difficult questions, but I guess maybe the tracker would tell me? Not sure how they work but I'll find out. And I don't count the 179 because they removed the question so I had more time for the questions on that section overall haha. Thanks so much!
Check out 7sage. You input your answer sheets and then you can look at which questions you miss most by question type and/or difficulty. Would definitely be worth your while.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”