Match the Reasoning trouble Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MrLions

New

Match the Reasoning trouble

Post by MrLions » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:38 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm pretty solid on LR (-1 to -4 typically) but I struggle with match the reasoning questions most. I just went through the lesson for this type of question in The LSAT Trainer, but I'm still lost. When I get the answer right, which is ~50% of the time, it's because I go with the one that "feels" right. Does anyone have some concrete techniques for getting these questions right everytime? Also checking on the 7sage, manhattan, and powerscore sites.

Thanks!

Platopus

Gold

Re: Match the Reasoning trouble

Post by Platopus » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:33 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sev

Bronze

Re: Match the Reasoning trouble

Post by sev » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:36 pm

Also struggled with it for a while, and I think the problem was that I tried to rely on intuition. Practice breaking down the arguments into their contingent parts, read for structure, and figure out common argument types used by the LSAT. Noticing the types of arguments the LSAT likes to use will help you identify the phrases in the AC which describe the different premises/conclusion of the argument and match those phrases together.

For example:
X is likely to do Y. versus: H is likely to be an action done by Z. (Probabilistic argument.)
Group B has L property, and H is a subset of B. versus: Y is part of Group E which implies C, so Y has property C. (Same method of deduction.)

As far as flawed mechanisms of parallel reasoning Qs--I try never to memorize for the LSAT, but it does help to know where LSAC usually puts flaws. http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2012/09/ls ... acies.html

Other things I do: go down the ACs and draw a line through phrases in the AC that don't have a clear partner/are distortions of the original. There's usually one AC left.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”