Feeling Discouraged on LR Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Reverie Metherlence

New

Feeling Discouraged on LR

Post by Reverie Metherlence » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:13 pm

I started my preparation in mid-May by reading bible LR 2 times. Then I took timed PT 50-58 but there is no improvement at all. I miss 7 Q on LR on average. And my blind review can save me 2-3 question per section. I am reviewing those questions I missed in PT 50-58 and reading Lsat trainer, but I think that's not enough. I will take my first shot in Sept, any advice? :( :(
Last edited by Reverie Metherlence on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Re: Feeling Discouraged on LR

Post by Barack O'Drama » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:05 pm

Well, the first piece of advice would be to not take in September if you're still missing 7 on each LR section.

Next, you should use 7Sage analytics to see what question types you're missing the most often. Then you'll want to do some targetted drilling as opposed to just full sections/PTs. What really helped me was drilling the Q types both untimed and timed. It allowed me to really see the patterns of the different LR questions.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lemonlacroix

New

Post by lemonlacroix » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:20 pm

I highly recommend the Manhattan LR book if you have time!

What really helped me was doing about 5 untimed LR sections, taking as much time as I needed to figure out why each answer was right/wrong. Just doing this (after going through the Manhattan book) took me from -6 average to -2 average per section. What everyone says about seeing patterns is so true, it also helps you quickly recognize wrong answers.

My wrong answers increased to -4 when I started doing timed sections again, but after 3 of those I got it down to -1.

Good luck!

Reverie Metherlence

New

Post by Reverie Metherlence » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:57 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:Well, the first piece of advice would be to not take in September if you're still missing 7 on each LR section.

Next, you should use 7Sage analytics to see what question types you're missing the most often. Then you'll want to do some targetted drilling as opposed to just full sections/PTs. What really helped me was drilling the Q types both untimed and timed. It allowed me to really see the patterns of the different LR questions.
Thank you for your reply and I am already using 7 sage analyticls. Actually I found my Flaw and Necessary assumption are poor. I drilled timed PT and then untimed PT for blind review. Do you have any advice for targetted drilling? I planned to use Cambridge pt 1-38 by type but was wondering if those Q are too old.

Reverie Metherlence

New

Post by Reverie Metherlence » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:00 am

lemonlacroix wrote:I highly recommend the Manhattan LR book if you have time!

What really helped me was doing about 5 untimed LR sections, taking as much time as I needed to figure out why each answer was right/wrong. Just doing this (after going through the Manhattan book) took me from -6 average to -2 average per section. What everyone says about seeing patterns is so true, it also helps you quickly recognize wrong answers.

My wrong answers increased to -4 when I started doing timed sections again, but after 3 of those I got it down to -1.

Good luck!

Wow! that's amazing! I first take timed test and then for untimed test for blind review. Sometimes I can miss -2, -3 for my blind review. May be I'll need to read that after I finished the Lsat Trainer. Hope I can finish Manhattan LR in a week or so. :roll:

hamshotfirst

New

Post by hamshotfirst » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:37 pm

One technique that helps me with LR is to go back to every question I get wrong after a section and write out why each answer choice is correct/incorrect. not only does this force you to identify exactly what you missed in the right answer, but also why the answer you picked was wrong. It also helps to familiarize you with what kind of answer certain question types are looking for.

NA is one of my weak points as well, but I've learned to start looking for the specific hole in the argument that needs to be filled in order for the entire argument to make sense through this method.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”