Improving Purely Through Prep-Tests Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
FineGentleman

New

Improving Purely Through Prep-Tests

Post by FineGentleman » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:07 pm

I scored on my official diagnostic 155, and I looked through some of the introductory courses in the LSAT Trainer and 7Sage. It's dull to read through these courses; I find that I'd be more focused taking 2-3 timed practice tests per week starting with the oldest one and thoroughly reviewing them (including blind review and using 7sage explanation videos) throughout the week. Has anyone tried this practice-test-focused approach to improving? I want to make it to 170+

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Improving Purely Through Prep-Tests

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:50 pm

Yes. Just keep taking them.

Bach-City

Bronze

Post by Bach-City » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:43 pm

Last edited by Bach-City on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:32 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:Yes. Just keep taking them.
this ^

but I would like to add that you should be reviewing them really well, not just doing them

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:29 pm

Mikey wrote:
this ^

but I would like to add that you should be reviewing them really well, not just doing them
I agree with all of this and want to add that you should stagger the tests. Do an early test, like 1, then 40, then 70, and repeat. That way you'll learn the logic instead of relying on trends and you'll be more prepared for curve balls on the actual test day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:48 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:
Mikey wrote:
this ^

I agree with all of this and want to add that you should stagger the tests. Do an early test, like 1, then 40, then 70, and repeat. That way you'll learn the logic instead of relying on trends and you'll be more prepared for curve balls on the actual test day.
This is debatable. I did 1-70 straight, twice. Worked for me, especially because I was forced to see the trends over time in order. For others, maybe not as helpful.

FineGentleman

New

Post by FineGentleman » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:10 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:
Mikey wrote:
this ^

This is debatable. I did 1-70 straight, twice. Worked for me, especially because I was forced to see the trends over time in order. For others, maybe not as helpful.
What score did you start and end at?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:14 pm

FineGentleman wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:
Mikey wrote:
this ^

started low 140s. Ended officially 175-177.

Lxwind

New

Post by Lxwind » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:22 pm

I guess it also depends on when you want to take the test?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sodomojo

Bronze

Post by sodomojo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:42 am

Bach-City wrote:That's what I did, and I improved from 160 diagnostic to 178/179 for my last few tests, though I ended up with a 175 on test day.

You may have to do more than 2-3 a week though. I did 5-6 every week (heavy on the weekends).
Dang - how did you have enough time to drill/review PTs? How long did you study per day?

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:11 am

sparkytrainer wrote:
FineGentleman wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:
Mikey wrote:
this ^

OP, try both and do what makes you happy

FineGentleman

New

Post by FineGentleman » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:06 am

Barry grandpapy wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
FineGentleman wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:
Mikey wrote:
this ^

OP, try both and do what makes you happy
I asked the LSAT subreddit, and they all said I shouldn't just keep PTing, and that I should work on fundamentals first. I take it I can trust you guys more?

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:27 am

FineGentleman wrote:
I asked the LSAT subreddit, and they all said I shouldn't just keep PTing, and that I should work on fundamentals first. I take it I can trust you guys more?
Yes :lol:

But they are right, you should work on fundamentals first. But improving through PTing is def the way to go once you learn fundamentals. You PT then review the shit out of it, and that's where you see improvement, from the reviewing. I know people who literally just did PTs and did well, but like I said, you NEED to review them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bach-City

Bronze

Post by Bach-City » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:35 am

Last edited by Bach-City on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LesPaul1995

Bronze

Post by LesPaul1995 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:07 pm

FineGentleman wrote:I scored on my official diagnostic 155, and I looked through some of the introductory courses in the LSAT Trainer and 7Sage. It's dull to read through these courses; I find that I'd be more focused taking 2-3 timed practice tests per week starting with the oldest one and thoroughly reviewing them (including blind review and using 7sage explanation videos) throughout the week. Has anyone tried this practice-test-focused approach to improving? I want to make it to 170+
For me, a PT is like stepping on the scale. It simply tells you how well you have been doing, and so stepping on the scale isn't the most efficient way at getting better. Review, like others said, is the key really. Do blind review and identify what you got wrong reasoning wise, and not just what you missed in that particular stimulus. This, along with mastering the skills needed through drills/review, is likely more efficient than having taken 20+ prep tests, that is unless you have the time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”