Pumping Strategies During LSAT/Nursing Mom Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
SMA2017

New

Pumping Strategies During LSAT/Nursing Mom

Post by SMA2017 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:36 am

Any new moms out there who have sat for the LSAT (or will be sitting) during a time when your baby is still breastfed?

I'll be sitting for the September exam and have chosen not to request accommodation (longer break and/or additional break) only because I'm afraid that it will throw me off during the exam to be on a different break schedule than everyone else.

I'm planning to pump as close to 8:30 AM as possible, but that still leaves up to 3 hours or more before the break. So my question for others who have been there:

Where did you pump?
Were you able to fit your pump and supplies in the gallon-sized plastic bag, and if not, did the proctors give you any trouble when trying to bring it in?
On a similar note, if you have a pump like the Medela that comes in its own bag, were you allowed to bring it with you since it's of medical necessity?
Did you bring a manual pump or electric pump?
How difficult/stressful was it to pump during the 15 minute break?
Any other tips to get through that initial 2.5-3 hours before the break with the least amount of discomfort (ice packs? other weird tricks to prevent engorgement/let down?)?

Thanks in advance. I'll be taking a ton of PTs under test day conditions, so I want to figure out my pumping plan as soon as possible and incorporate it into my PTs. I'm also considering asking my partner to hang around on test day near the break time so that he can hand me the pump/take the milk with him, in case the proctors give me a hard time for bringing the supplies with me.

grades??

Silver

Re: Pumping Strategies During LSAT/Nursing Mom

Post by grades?? » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:39 am

You should contact the LSAC directly.

SMA2017

New

Post by SMA2017 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:31 pm

grades?? wrote:You should contact the LSAC directly.
I have, and that was helpful to get a sense of how much time will pass between entering the room at 8:30 and the end of the third section/break. But that's about all they were helpful on.

I know that I can bring a pump with me on test day, and I know that the pump I currently have will fit in a gallon-sized zip lock. However, because my pump is smaller, it has a less powerful motor and takes longer to pump. I could rent a more powerful (and faster) pump, but they 1) will not fit in the bag and 2) typically come attached to their own carrying case - to that point, LSAC didn't really have an answer as to if it will be a problem, and basically said that I'll be at the mercy of the proctor. I'm wondering if others have brought a large pump with them, and did they have a problem taking it into the test center.

Mostly I'm just curious to hear from women who have been there and what their experience was like.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:33 pm

SMA2017 wrote:
I have, and that was helpful to get a sense of how much time will pass between entering the room at 8:30 and the end of the third section/break. But that's about all they were helpful on.

I know that I can bring a pump with me on test day, and I know that the pump I currently have will fit in a gallon-sized zip lock. However, because my pump is smaller, it has a less powerful motor and takes longer to pump. I could rent a more powerful (and faster) pump, but they 1) will not fit in the bag and 2) typically come attached to their own carrying case - to that point, LSAC didn't really have an answer as to if it will be a problem, and basically said that I'll be at the mercy of the proctor. I'm wondering if others have brought a large pump with them, and did they have a problem taking it into the test center.

Mostly I'm just curious to hear from women who have been there and what their experience was like.
I dont have any experience, but glad you spoke to the LSAC. Best of luck!

SMA2017

New

Post by SMA2017 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:56 pm

grades?? wrote:
SMA2017 wrote:

I dont have any experience, but glad you spoke to the LSAC. Best of luck!
Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”