I'm scared of taking this test Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
polisciguy123

New

I'm scared of taking this test

Post by polisciguy123 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:16 pm

I've been studying since mid-June, but I've been studying nearly everyday for the past two weeks, basically going at least 2-3 a day as of two weeks ago. I'm set to take the test in September...but I'm scared. I hate saying it, but I am. My diagnostic score was 142. I immediately jumped up to 150 the next test, but I've gone to 149 and 148. I feel like on test day I'm going to fail, or worse, not even be where I need to be by September 16th.
I don't think I'm stupid, but I'm just stressing myself out way to much. I've finished the PS Bibles and I'm taking untimed sections to get the mechanics down, but I feel as if I am not doing enough.
I just need a 163. That's all I need. A 165 would secure where I want to go, but if I get a 163 I'll apply in the fall. BC is my #1 and always has been, and I'm trying to use that as motivation, but it's not working since Ima cared to even take a PT.

Is there anything I can do to make me get over these nerves? I have 7.5 weeks and I'd really rather not take it in December. How should I study? I just jump right in to reviewing done sections or doing sections without a plan. Any help?

Thank you

de minimis

New

Re: I'm scared of taking this test

Post by de minimis » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:22 pm

You have a LOT of time. Keep at it and take breaks. If you do too many tests in a row, your scores will dip. Take days off, recharge. Also, don't overstress. You're taking it in September, which leaves you time to retake if you need to. Relax, work hard, rest, be diligent, and you'll do fine. The test is learnable and a 163 is attainable.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:58 am

First, take a deep breath. You've got time. You should see another jump in score about mid august as you continue to work on things to get better and faster. I saw an 18 point jump studying 2.5 months before the test from my diagnostic to my last PT. Having the skills down is part of the challenge, the next part is dealing with test day stress/pressure which is what got me in June. It sounds like you may need to do something about that with the way you're freaking out right now. This is a high pressure test, it determines what schools we can go to which makes it do or die/sink or swim basically. I'm currently reading through this book which someone recommended on the forums.
https://www.amazon.com/Performing-Under ... 0804136726

I haven't made it through the whole thing but a lot of what I have covered makes sense with stress versus pressure and I'm going to look to incorporate their techniques and a few other things to keep my nerves down on test day. I suggest you look into it too because test day nerves is a thing and there usually is a 2-3 point dip for most people.

Best of luck with your prep and test in Sept!
Last edited by Experiment626 on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:16 am

You don't have to take it in September. Do it when you feel ready

hamshotfirst

New

Post by hamshotfirst » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:41 pm

polisciguy123 wrote:I've been studying since mid-June, but I've been studying nearly everyday for the past two weeks, basically going at least 2-3 a day as of two weeks ago. I'm set to take the test in September...but I'm scared. I hate saying it, but I am. My diagnostic score was 142. I immediately jumped up to 150 the next test, but I've gone to 149 and 148. I feel like on test day I'm going to fail, or worse, not even be where I need to be by September 16th.
I don't think I'm stupid, but I'm just stressing myself out way to much. I've finished the PS Bibles and I'm taking untimed sections to get the mechanics down, but I feel as if I am not doing enough.
I just need a 163. That's all I need. A 165 would secure where I want to go, but if I get a 163 I'll apply in the fall. BC is my #1 and always has been, and I'm trying to use that as motivation, but it's not working since Ima cared to even take a PT.

Is there anything I can do to make me get over these nerves? I have 7.5 weeks and I'd really rather not take it in December. How should I study? I just jump right in to reviewing done sections or doing sections without a plan. Any help?

Thank you

First, before anything else: YOU GOT THIS! YOU'RE GONNA WRECK THIS TEST!!

Nerves are totally natural. I can't really give any tips for how to handle nerves during test day (as I'm sitting for the first time in Sept as well), but I can offer some advice that's helped me so far. You have a lot of time to hit the 160s. Pick the section that's giving you the most trouble and go to town on it, drilling and reviewing every single day. When you do a PT, for every question you get wrong, write down why every wrong answer is wrong and why the right answer is right. If you just put your nose to the grindstone and review what you're getting wrong and WHY you're getting it wrong, you're score will go up dramatically.

In terms of just not wanting to blow it (something I think we all can relate to), the best advice I can think of is this: You can always retake. It's not like this one score is your one shot. You have September, December and even February. And worst comes to absolute worst, you can do it again in June and reapply. If you really want it, it will be worth waiting for.

There's an episode of King of the Hill where the character Luanne is terrified of failing her beauty school hairdressing exam. Bill, who's a barber, gives her the advice "It WILL grow back." That's the best mentality I can recommend having to avoid nerves. Study your butt off, but on test day remember that if you mess up, the hair will grow back.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

polisciguy123

New

Post by polisciguy123 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:59 pm

Thank you to all of you for replying. Like you guys said, I have time.
Time to go ham on this test.

studystudystudy

New

Post by studystudystudy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:50 am

I am literally a mirror image of your situation, except I haven't taken yet. I am right there with you on getting/needing a 163, 165 ideally. My diagnostic was 150 and then when I started PTing, I was like 143-145ish and finally hit 150, but I'm BRing like 167/168/170. I'm not sure about each section break down for you, but for me I'm attacking LG since it's the easiest to learn in the shortest amount of time. We can do this!!!!! PM me if you want to talk more because I have yet to find someone in the exact same situation as me haha. When I get overwhelmed on the pressure, I just keep reminding myself that it is only a stupid test. It is a final exam that we are studying for. Just can't let it get into your head to the best of your ability :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”