Improvement in 2 months? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Lxwind

New

Improvement in 2 months?

Post by Lxwind » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:09 am

Hi all! I recently started considering the possibility of applying to law school, and decided to take the September LSAT to test the thought further. My cold diagnostic was a 169, and so far I scored 169, 168 and 166 at 3 other preptests. I started adding the extra section to the third one, which might explain the drop in points. I am pretty confident with LG, and so far scored the worst on LRs. I will be working full time until the end of August, and study during nights and weekends. I know its is a bit unrealistic and very ambitious, but I wonder if I have a solid chance at a 175 in 2 months time. Any experience? Thank you very much!

JazzOne

Gold

Re: Improvement in 2 months?

Post by JazzOne » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:29 am

It's a realistic goal, but in my experience, scores tend to fluctuate quite a bit at the top end of the scale, so it wouldn't complete surprise me if you whiff your goal a bit either. Nothing you can do but study and see what happens.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:01 pm

Lxwind wrote:Hi all! I recently started considering the possibility of applying to law school, and decided to take the September LSAT to test the thought further. My cold diagnostic was a 169, and so far I scored 169, 168 and 166 at 3 other preptests. I started adding the extra section to the third one, which might explain the drop in points. I am pretty confident with LG, and so far scored the worst on LRs. I will be working full time until the end of August, and study during nights and weekends. I know its is a bit unrealistic and very ambitious, but I wonder if I have a solid chance at a 175 in 2 months time. Any experience? Thank you very much!
I'm trying to go from a 169 to a 175 in two months, so I hope it is lol.

Use the Fox or Powerscore LR guides. They'll help you cut through the words of the questions and see each one as more of an equation, if that makes sense. That's what helped me with LR.

Lxwind

New

Post by Lxwind » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:28 pm

heyduchess wrote:
Lxwind wrote:Hi all! I recently started considering the possibility of applying to law school, and decided to take the September LSAT to test the thought further. My cold diagnostic was a 169, and so far I scored 169, 168 and 166 at 3 other preptests. I started adding the extra section to the third one, which might explain the drop in points. I am pretty confident with LG, and so far scored the worst on LRs. I will be working full time until the end of August, and study during nights and weekends. I know its is a bit unrealistic and very ambitious, but I wonder if I have a solid chance at a 175 in 2 months time. Any experience? Thank you very much!
I'm trying to go from a 169 to a 175 in two months, so I hope it is lol.

Use the Fox or Powerscore LR guides. They'll help you cut through the words of the questions and see each one as more of an equation, if that makes sense. That's what helped me with LR.
That's helpful, thank you!

Lxwind

New

Post by Lxwind » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:30 pm

JazzOne wrote:It's a realistic goal, but in my experience, scores tend to fluctuate quite a bit at the top end of the scale, so it wouldn't complete surprise me if you whiff your goal a bit either. Nothing you can do but study and see what happens.
Got it, thank you. Working on it now. It is pretty exhausting trying to do the preptests after working until 6 PM, but so far it's been fun and hopefully it will be rewarding.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:38 pm

Lxwind wrote:
Got it, thank you. Working on it now. It is pretty exhausting trying to do the preptests after working until 6 PM, but so far it's been fun and hopefully it will be rewarding.
You want to be testing yourself at the most uncomfortable and challenging times, anyway. Doing exams after work made the test day exam feel like it was flying by. Totally wasn't an endurance test at all.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:42 pm

Lxwind wrote:
JazzOne wrote:It's a realistic goal, but in my experience, scores tend to fluctuate quite a bit at the top end of the scale, so it wouldn't complete surprise me if you whiff your goal a bit either. Nothing you can do but study and see what happens.
I thought it was pretty easy to move into the lower 170s. But then my scores fluctuated like crazy, and I came in 6 points below my best PT. Six points would be a huge deal lower in the scale, but at the top end, the difference is less than 1 percentile.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:23 pm

Once you get your LG to a consistent -0/-1, then you can start hitting LR heavy. I wouldn't worry too much about RC; if you pulled a 169 on a cold, timed diagnostic, then your RC is probably as good as it's gonna get.

LR is pretty much the same as LG. The difference is that the "rules" you need to know are hidden in dense text rather than handed to you. Given your diagnostic think you should be able to get 99.9th with enough effort.

Lxwind

New

Post by Lxwind » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:23 am

Pneumonia wrote:
Once you get your LG to a consistent -0/-1, then you can start hitting LR heavy. I wouldn't worry too much about RC; if you pulled a 169 on a cold, timed diagnostic, then your RC is probably as good as it's gonna get.

LR is pretty much the same as LG. The difference is that the "rules" you need to know are hidden in dense text rather than handed to you. Given your diagnostic think you should be able to get 99.9th with enough effort.
My LG has been consistently -0/-1 since the beginning, so I guess it's time to hit LR right now. However, RC fluctuates a lot. Time is the main problem. Sometimes I run out of time, rush through and get a -3/-4 on the last passage alone. The other times when I can read through all the passage carefully, I get -2/-3 in total on RC. Any tips on speeding up a bit on RC? I feel like if I can get 1 minute faster, I would be much more confident about RC. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”