161 PT -> 165+ Real Thing by September Possible? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Desiigner

New

161 PT -> 165+ Real Thing by September Possible?

Post by Desiigner » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:38 pm

Hi all,

I have been studying for about 3 months (also studied about 3 months last year when I originally planned to take the LSAT), and on my last my last PT I scored 161. I am scheduled to take the LSAT in September but really want to score 165+ at the very least, although my ultimate goal is 170. Have people gotten their PT score from 161 to over 165 in 2 months or less after already having studied for over 3 months?

FYI my cold diagnostic a year ago was 155 I believe, and my last PT was PT41 (-10 LR, -5 RC, -9 Games for a 161).

Thanks!

wolfonlawstreet

Bronze

Re: 161 PT -> 165+ Real Thing by September Possible?

Post by wolfonlawstreet » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:43 pm

Desiigner wrote:Hi all,

I have been studying for about 3 months (also studied about 3 months last year when I originally planned to take the LSAT), and on my last my last PT I scored 161. I am scheduled to take the LSAT in September but really want to score 165+ at the very least, although my ultimate goal is 170. Have people gotten their PT score from 161 to over 165 in 2 months or less after already having studied for over 3 months?

FYI my cold diagnostic a year ago was 155 I believe, and my last PT was PT41 (-10 LR, -5 RC, -9 Games for a 161).

Thanks!
It's absolutely possible! What resources have you used so far? It seems logic games could be the easiest way to make up quick ground. Are you struggling more with timing or accuracy?
Last edited by wolfonlawstreet on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desiigner

New

Post by Desiigner » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:22 pm

wolfonlawstreet wrote: It's absolutely possible! What resources have you used so far? It seems logic games could be the easiest way to make up quick ground. Are you struggling more with timing or accuracy?
I have been drilling by type, using Cambridge packets and fool proofing the games. I am using Manhattan LR to drill by type as well. RC I am not really doing anything other than doing passages.

I am struggling more with timing than with accuracy. I also struggle a lot with miscellaneous kind of games, i.e. the last game on PT41 which is what screwed me. This is problematic, because from what I hear the newer tests have more of the miscellaneous kind of games that don't conform to the standard grouping/ordering setups. I have put a lot of time in fool-proofing games and on some sections I do better like -3 to -5, but when a games section is harder and includes a miscellaneous kind of game I go -8 to -10.

wolfonlawstreet

Bronze

Post by wolfonlawstreet » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:46 pm

Desiigner wrote:
wolfonlawstreet wrote: It's absolutely possible! What resources have you used so far? It seems logic games could be the easiest way to make up quick ground. Are you struggling more with timing or accuracy?
I have been drilling by type, using Cambridge packets and fool proofing the games. I am using Manhattan LR to drill by type as well. RC I am not really doing anything other than doing passages.

I am struggling more with timing than with accuracy. I also struggle a lot with miscellaneous kind of games, i.e. the last game on PT41 which is what screwed me. This is problematic, because from what I hear the newer tests have more of the miscellaneous kind of games that don't conform to the standard grouping/ordering setups. I have put a lot of time in fool-proofing games and on some sections I do better like -3 to -5, but when a games section is harder and includes a miscellaneous kind of game I go -8 to -10.
I would recommend solely focusing your efforts on games until you have them completely down. Maybe try different methods of diagramming? Powerscore vs trainer etc. If you can get a really strong basis, I think the miscellaneous will be less likely to throw you. Additionally, getting fast will help a lot because then you can spend more time on the tough problems. I would try to nail down lg section (0-2) before moving to perfect lr section. Drill and make sure you understand the set up. Do them untimed until you are not missing any, and then pick up speed from there.
Last edited by wolfonlawstreet on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:52 am

Drilling game sections like crazy and watching 7sage videos right afterwards helped me shore up games. It took a couple months but I went from -10 to -0/-1 every time (went -2 on the real thing due to test day nerves). Getting games to -0 should be your priority now and just doing that will increase your score immensely.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”