Tips from people who scored the same or higher on first real LSAT as practice tests Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
RSolano

Bronze

Tips from people who scored the same or higher on first real LSAT as practice tests

Post by RSolano » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:06 pm

Does anyone have tips on how to ensure your real LSAT goes as well as your practice tests? I'm sure nothing calms nerves as much as going through a real test day of but for those of us who want to try our best to only take the test once- any suggestions to minimise the chance of nerves getting in the way?

Has anyone had the reverse happen- test day nerves leading to a higher score than PT average?

Thanks!

Platopus

Gold

Re: Tips from people who scored the same or higher on first real LSAT as practice tests

Post by Platopus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:26 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrcfa1995

New

Re: Tips from people who scored the same or higher on first real LSAT as practice tests

Post by mrcfa1995 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:45 pm

I was above my PT average by like 2 points, but my average was also trending upwards significantly; I was somewhat nervous on test day, but like Platopus said you gotta realize you can always retake. I would definitely take at least one 5 section PT a week in the month leading up to the test. I took all my PT's under strict game day scenarios in my school's law library. Also don't take any PT's or study the days before. Put in your time as early as possible.

nm2323

New

Post by nm2323 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:03 pm

I scored almost 5 points higher on the actual LSAT compared to practice tests. There are a few things I did that week and the day of that helped me.

Week before:
- I woke up at the same time I would have to for the LSAT to accustom my body to function at that time (I don't know about you, but I am not normally a morning person!)
- I made sure I had everything I needed for test day a couple days before so I wouldn't freak out the morning of and forget something.

Day of:
I ate the same thing I normally do (don't alter your routine, it will throw you off)
I got to the test center an hour early, didn't talk to anyone (to avoid freaking myself out with others anxiety)
I also meditated a little to clear my mind (not talking like full on yoga on the floor meditation, but some deep breathing and a mantra can really focus you and make sure your head is in "game mode")
Also I brought snacks, the test is long and you do get a break that feels like forever so you might want to eat something between.

RSolano

Bronze

Post by RSolano » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:00 am

These are helpful tips, thanks y'all!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:06 am

Scored 2 pts above my average, top of my range.

Others have covered some theories on pre-test stuff. Bottom line is relax.

During the test? It's all about mental toughness. You may have a point during the test where you have a bad section, a tough question, the proctor doesn't call 5 minutes, whatever. Grit your teeth, beat your chest, and tough it out. Stick with it. Just keep doing exactly what you know how to do, don't panic, and don't, whatever you do, don't, DO NOT give up.

In June, I had a bear of a time with RC. The proctor called 5 minutes and I hadn't even finished reading the last passage. I focused on reading for understanding, then focused on getting one question right. Then the next. Then the next. I bet plenty of people didn't get a single question right after 5 minute warning, and I got all of 'em. After that stressful section, I took a breath before starting the next one - just to relax and stay focused.

You can do it. The difference between you and the people sitting next to you is how you handle that moment.

RSolano

Bronze

Post by RSolano » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:21 am

rowdy wrote:Scored 2 pts above my average, top of my range.

Others have covered some theories on pre-test stuff. Bottom line is relax.

During the test? It's all about mental toughness. You may have a point during the test where you have a bad section, a tough question, the proctor doesn't call 5 minutes, whatever. Grit your teeth, beat your chest, and tough it out. Stick with it. Just keep doing exactly what you know how to do, don't panic, and don't, whatever you do, don't, DO NOT give up.

In June, I had a bear of a time with RC. The proctor called 5 minutes and I hadn't even finished reading the last passage. I focused on reading for understanding, then focused on getting one question right. Then the next. Then the next. I bet plenty of people didn't get a single question right after 5 minute warning, and I got all of 'em. After that stressful section, I took a breath before starting the next one - just to relax and stay focused.

You can do it. The difference between you and the people sitting next to you is how you handle that moment.
Thank you! That's amazing, congrats on your exam and I'll definitely reread what you wrote before I take mine. Great advice

BronBron

New

Post by BronBron » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:13 pm

Was averaging about 171 on my pts and ended up scoring a 177. I second what everyone above has said. I've always been better on test days and I think the biggest reason for that is channeling nervous energy towards focus and intensity rather than letting it slip into panic. I also meditated about 15 mins prior to the test and found it calmed my anxieties and helped me focus. The last thing I would say is to remember that early sections could always be experimental. I bombed my first LG and had to guess on the last three questions, but I kept my focus and that section ended up being experimental anyway. Good luck and I hope the advice helps

RSolano

Bronze

Post by RSolano » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:09 pm

Wow that's a great score congrats! I will keep that in mind about the experimental sections, thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:14 pm

I scored under my PT average but I think there's something to learn from that as well. Like Platopus said, it's nothing you haven't seen before. There's no need to psych yourself about because it's "the real thing." I overthought a few questions and it ended up biting me in the ass, my experimental LG section had me pretty shook as well.

Just do what you've been doing, be confident, get plenty of sleep, and don't worry. For my soccer fans, approach it the way Ronaldinho approached soccer. You're good at this, go have fun and put a smile on your face.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:30 pm

Get your shit in order 4 or 5 days before the exam -- ticket printed, photo attached, bag packed, pencils sharpened. For a Monday test, don't don anything LSAT-related on Saturday or Sunday (but probably don't go out partying either). The point is that you want your brain to be "bored" when you show up to the test. On the day of, do an easy game and maybe a 1-10 set of LR.

ETA - if at all possible, visit the testing center/room prior to test day. I even took a PT at my test center a few weeks before test day (it was a large public university on a weekend, so the rooms were unlocked but nothing was going on)..

RSolano

Bronze

Post by RSolano » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:35 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:I scored under my PT average but I think there's something to learn from that as well. Like Platopus said, it's nothing you haven't seen before. There's no need to psych yourself about because it's "the real thing." I overthought a few questions and it ended up biting me in the ass, my experimental LG section had me pretty shook as well.

Just do what you've been doing, be confident, get plenty of sleep, and don't worry. For my soccer fans, approach it the way Ronaldinho approached soccer. You're good at this, go have fun and put a smile on your face.
Thanks!

RSolano

Bronze

Post by RSolano » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:36 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Get your shit in order 4 or 5 days before the exam -- ticket printed, photo attached, bag packed, pencils sharpened. For a Monday test, don't don anything LSAT-related on Saturday or Sunday (but probably don't go out partying either). The point is that you want your brain to be "bored" when you show up to the test. On the day of, do an easy game and maybe a 1-10 set of LR.

ETA - if at all possible, visit the testing center/room prior to test day. I even took a PT at my test center a few weeks before test day (it was a large public university on a weekend, so the rooms were unlocked but nothing was going on)..
Will plan on taking those days off except for a short warm up day of, thanks for the advice!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”