September or December? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
velyvely

New

September or December?

Post by velyvely » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:45 pm

Hello,

I am trying to decide whether to register for the September LSAT, or wait and take the December one. I graduated last December, did nothing but study for a month, and came out with a 172 (February exam). I wanted to retake for a higher score, but I started working soon after and didn't feel prepared enough for the June LSAT. I then pushed it back to September, but I haven't really had time to study (a lot of unexpected OT at my job, plus the more I pushed my exam date back, the less inclined I was to study.) I'm not sure if it would be better at this point to push it back again to December - I feel like having such a long period of time makes me more complacent, but I'm also not sure if 2 months is enough to raise my score by 2~4 points while working so many hours. I'm not applying until Fall 2018, but I just really want to get the LSAT over with at this point, so it's definitely one of the two exams. I'd have to register for the September one soon, though, since a lot of the test centers near me are already full.

If anyone can give me tips on how they managed studying while working, or how they were to improve from a ~170ish score in a few months, I'd be thankful!! My GPA is below median for a lot of the T14 (a little above a 3.7), so I'd really like a higher LSAT to improve my chances of getting scholarships.

Platopus

Gold

Re: September or December?

Post by Platopus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

velyvely

New

Post by velyvely » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:55 pm

Platopus wrote:
velyvely wrote:I'm not applying until Fall 2018.
December. No reason to rush the LSAT. If you got a 172 with minimal study, wait until the OT at work blows over and start studying in earnest for December.
It wasn't really minimal study - I was basically studying for ~10 hours a day back then, whereas I study for less than 10 hours a week now (mainly due to complacency, I think. It was hard for me to focus knowing September was so far away, and here I am now :oops: .)

The only other thing is, I think OT will get worse come fall. Summers are generally slower in the office, I heard, and October and November are busiest.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:08 pm

velyvely

New

Post by velyvely » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:14 pm

Platopus wrote: I also think that LSAT studying is cumulative to a degree; the time you've already put in hasn't been wasted. You aren't starting from scratch. You're starting from a 172, so it's really just 2-3 questions more.
Oooh, thanks for the advice! I was curious about this part of the exam - whether I'd "forget" things if I waited too long or dragged out my studying time for five months.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:19 pm

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:09 am

Platopus wrote:
velyvely wrote:
Platopus wrote: I also think that LSAT studying is cumulative to a degree; the time you've already put in hasn't been wasted. You aren't starting from scratch. You're starting from a 172, so it's really just 2-3 questions more.
Oooh, thanks for the advice! I was curious about this part of the exam - whether I'd "forget" things if I waited too long or dragged out my studying time for five months.
If you wait, you'll probably "forget" some stuff, but I imagine the uptake will be pretty quick. LG should still be pretty familiar and RC is RC, LR would probably need the most work.
I can relate... I took Sept 2016, then had a busy few months of no study.Then Studied a good amount Jan through Feb and nothing until I picked up full-time all day at the end of May... In May I def wasn't as sharp as I was back in Sept or even Jan, but when I went through the books and started drilling I still had my foundation and actually built upon it & filled in a few holes/mitigated some weaknesses. You Def wont be starting from scratch, but you will just be a little rusty.

Two things ive learned in life and with this test specifically is: there will never be a perfect opportunity to wait for and youll never have enough time (or at least wish you had more). so my advice would to sign up Sept and Grind as hard as you can now and when sept approaches if you dont feel ready postpone till Dec. However, you will start now for an honest effort to make the Sept test date. Who knows 2 months might be all you need. Everyone is different. If you put it off now until Dec, October will be here before you know it and you will be like damn I havent done anything, should I postpone till next Feb or even June?? and it'll be an endless cycle.

In sum, Go for it and adjust if need be. But, if you are not ready dont rush the test to just get it over with. Also, congrats on an awesome first score. Best of luck!

velyvely

New

Post by velyvely » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:40 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
I can relate... I took Sept 2016, then had a busy few months of no study.Then Studied a good amount Jan through Feb and nothing until I picked up full-time all day at the end of May... In May I def wasn't as sharp as I was back in Sept or even Jan, but when I went through the books and started drilling I still had my foundation and actually built upon it & filled in a few holes/mitigated some weaknesses. You Def wont be starting from scratch, but you will just be a little rusty.

Two things ive learned in life and with this test specifically is: there will never be a perfect opportunity to wait for and youll never have enough time (or at least wish you had more). so my advice would to sign up Sept and Grind as hard as you can now and when sept approaches if you dont feel ready postpone till Dec. However, you will start now for an honest effort to make the Sept test date. Who knows 2 months might be all you need. Everyone is different. If you put it off now until Dec, October will be here before you know it and you will be like damn I havent done anything, should I postpone till next Feb or even June?? and it'll be an endless cycle.

In sum, Go for it and adjust if need be. But, if you are not ready dont rush the test to just get it over with. Also, congrats on an awesome first score. Best of luck!
Thanks for the advice!! I decided to take a timed PT today, see my score, and register based on how I felt - just paid for the September administration of the exam.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”