LG Development Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ScamMan101

New

LG Development

Post by ScamMan101 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:55 pm

Currently slated for Sept 16 LSAT 2017...

I feel like I have a decent grasp on logic games.

The question / biggest issue that I want input regarding is how to make inferences quicker.

Is that just repetition? I've been focusing on Logic games for about 2 months now and eventually they all come but it just seems to take to long. To complete a game with 100% accuracy I'm sitting at like 10 minutes.

Any tips on how you developed yourself in LG would be appreciated.

tanes25

New

Re: LG Development

Post by tanes25 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:24 am

ScamMan101 wrote:Currently slated for Sept 16 LSAT 2017...

I feel like I have a decent grasp on logic games.

The question / biggest issue that I want input regarding is how to make inferences quicker.

Is that just repetition? I've been focusing on Logic games for about 2 months now and eventually they all come but it just seems to take to long. To complete a game with 100% accuracy I'm sitting at like 10 minutes.

Any tips on how you developed yourself in LG would be appreciated.
Hey, have you checked out the 7 Sage videos? If not, they're free and you can view them on the 7 Sage site or YouTube. JY does a video explanation for every LG game released. It is repetition that'll get you to make inferences quicker. 7 Sage recommends foolproofing games 1-35 until you can complete them all -0 within the suggested timeframe. You start with 10 copies and go from there. You can tweak it however you see fit. If you don't need 10 tries then move on to the next game. Some ppl don't think it's helpful to practice on those games but I think it's worth it to make sure you have a solid foundation, those weird games seem to be making a comeback and I think it's important not to waste the more recent PT on drilling.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:45 am

So, first of all, 3 completed LG at 100% accuracy means you are like 90% of the way there. What I tell those I help is that, with the appropriate preparation and repetition, you will recognize the "easy" games and those are the ones you can focus on to get your time down that last 5 minutes. Almost all LSATs have one, most have 2, some have 3+.

"Easy" in this context usually means formulaic. Those are the games where you're likely not seeing anything new at all and if you are it kind of smacks you. These games are usually one of two variety, linear/simple ordering and simple grouping. You absolutely should be doing these games faster than ten minutes and I think that's where your focus should be. There are difficult LSAT games. Colored Dinosaurs took me almost 15 minutes the first time I hit it. You can't beat yourself up for having to spend time on the difficult games. They're difficult. Where you need to focus your improvement, and obviously I've not watched you work so this is a guess, is getting those formulaic games in under the seven minute mark.

I'm also a believer in spending ten seconds on rule substitution questions and, if I don't immediately see how I'm going to get there, skipping them until the end of the section. That's a pretty personal decision, though. I think most high scorers would agree that you've got to be faster on the easier games. This isn't like RC where passage difficulty can be misleading on first glance. Almost every easy LG is easily recognizable. You've got to be able to spot that and knock it out. Do whatever you have to do to make that happen.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

coskigirl

Bronze

Post by coskigirl » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:56 pm

For me this just took time and repetition. Up until 2-3 weeks before the June LSAT I was getting 13-15 correct in any given LG section. I part of my issue was that I'd get stressed out when I got to the 3rd one thinking about the fact that I didn't have enough time to get through all of them. I had a light bulb moment when I realized that if I focused on the 1st 3 games and moved quickly but not so quick that I made stupid mistakes I could get to 100% on those and still have around 5-7 minutes remaining to read, setup, and attempt at least a couple of questions on the 4th game. If I did that and then guessed on any remaining questions I had a good chance of being at 16-18 correct. But what happened when I did that was that inferences and then answers started jumping out at me because I wasn't so stressed about time and I started scoring 20-21 correct on timed PTs. In the end I got 20 correct on the June LSAT.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:38 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

conker

Bronze

Post by conker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:17 pm

Maintain a bird's-eye awareness of the most restrictive variables. This is LG "instinct." Saves my ass.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:57 pm

conker wrote:Maintain a bird's-eye awareness of the most restrictive variables. This is LG "instinct." Saves my ass.
I use this strategy often. I call it the "key to the game." After I diagram the rules, I decide which rule or piece of information would be most helpful to know. Then, if I get stuck on a question, I go back to that rule of piece of information. I look for very restrictive rules to make this work so that there are only 2 or 3 possibilities.

ScamMan101

New

Post by ScamMan101 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:45 am

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I have been using 7sage, powerscore bibles and lsat trainer.

I just hired a private tutor as well. I took a proctored diagnostic and got a 165. Whereas 5 weeks ago I got a 148. So definitely seeing improvement, I'll keep working I have 63 days and try and get in more repetition.

Cheers

conker

Bronze

Post by conker » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:29 am

ScamMan101 wrote:Thanks for all the feedback guys, I have been using 7sage, powerscore bibles and lsat trainer.

I just hired a private tutor as well. I took a proctored diagnostic and got a 165. Whereas 5 weeks ago I got a 148. So definitely seeing improvement, I'll keep working I have 63 days and try and get in more repetition.

Cheers
Great job!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”