Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MovingUnits

New

Black Law Students at HYS -- Can I ask you some questions?

Post by MovingUnits » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:58 am

I am an AA URM and looking to network and find mentors of the same background who can help me. Grew up in a not so great neighborhood, went to college and did well. Looking at schools like HYS. High GPA, average softs, and decent work experience.

If you are specifically an AA URM could you please describe or PM me what exactly you did to prep for the LSAT?

What course/books did you use?
How long did you prep?
How many tests did you take?
Diagnostic?
Final score?
BLSA?
Advice for apps??

Things of that nature.... It isn't that someone who isn't of AA heritage doesn't have helpful info, but I'm looking to connect and talk with others like myself. I grew up in a place where I never really had the chance to talk about things like this with others around me. So I'm looking to utilize this forum to do that.

Thanks in advanced!
Last edited by MovingUnits on Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Re: Black Law Students who have been accepted to HYS? How did you Prep?

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:42 am

Last edited by Veil of Ignorance on Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MovingUnits

New

Post by MovingUnits » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:58 am

Veil of Ignorance wrote:I don't think LSAT prep would vary based upon race. Just do the standard stuff, like powerscore or testmasters textbooks, and TONS of timed practice tests. You will enjoy a slight benefit from being AA in terms of admissions, but you're still going to need an excellent LSAT to get in to HYS.

Yeah, I get that. And sort of agree.

I was just curious and more interested in what material AA URMs used to prep. I don't have any tangible reason besides my own curiosity. I'd like to chat with some of these people and just see if maybe it does vary by race. Perhaps coming from a certain background may lead to other prep materials. Who knows?

I'm just interested in speaking with AA URMS who have been accepted to top schools to be able to talk to them about their prep, process, and details of that nature.
Last edited by MovingUnits on Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:23 am

OK, I might be wrong! Good luck!!

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:59 am

MovingUnits wrote:
What course/books did you use? Princeton Review (didn't really help, waste of money) and Powerscore bible (for LR), 7sage (LG), just drilled RC
How long did you prep? 10 months (on and off)
How many tests did you take? 30 somethingish
Diagnostic? 142
Final score? 170
Advice? Ignore the fact that there is a boost (I'm black, but Canadian, and didn't think I would get a boost. Almost retook the 170 before I found this forum and found out I still got a boost). Had I known there was a boost, prolly woulda stopped studying 4 months in, when I plateaued mid 160s.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MovingUnits

New

Post by MovingUnits » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:01 am

TAD wrote:
MovingUnits wrote:
What course/books did you use? Princeton Review (didn't really help, waste of money) and Powerscore bible (for LR), 7sage (LG), just drilled RC
Diagnostic? 142
Final score? 170
Advice? Ignore the fact that there is a boost (I'm black, but Canadian, and didn't think I would get a boost. Almost retook the 170 before I found this forum and found out I still got a boost). Had I known there was a boost, prolly woulda stopped studying 4 months in, when I plateaued mid 160s.

Thank you. May I ask what test you took full timed and what you used for drilling?

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:57 am

MovingUnits wrote:
TAD wrote:
MovingUnits wrote:
Diagnostic? 142
Final score? 170

Thank you. May I ask what test you took full timed and what you used for drilling?
PT 40 till 70 something (whichever one was the last one before june 2016). Used the cambridge packets (questions were based from 1-39). I also used 30-39 pts for the experimental sections when taking full time tests.

OnlyHumean

New

Post by OnlyHumean » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:59 pm

*sigh*

This thread has seriously devolved.

OP (or any other URM), I'm a black Canadain who will be starting at Yale this year. If you want to talk about admissions, I'd be happy to share my experience and offer what advice I can, just PM me.
Last edited by OnlyHumean on Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:24 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:I don't think LSAT prep would vary based upon race. Just do the standard stuff, like powerscore or testmasters textbooks, and TONS of timed practice tests. You will enjoy a slight benefit from being AA in terms of admissions, but you're still going to need an excellent LSAT to get in to HYS.
It isn't that someone who isn't of AA heritage doesn't have helpful info, but I'm looking to connect and talk with others like myself.
the OP was not hard to understand

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ilovemydogxo

New

Post by Ilovemydogxo » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:48 pm

I used 7sage and the Powerscore books, then drilled the early PTs. Only thing I really did different than most of the other people is that I would eat fried chicken and watermelon before a PT or a long study session.

User has been banned.

MovingUnits

New

Post by MovingUnits » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:51 pm

Thanks for all the helpful replies guys! I'm glad most people understood what I meant. I should have worded it better. Either way, thanks again and keep the posts coming.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:43 pm

landshoes wrote: the OP was not hard to understand
:oops:

zkyggi

Bronze

Post by zkyggi » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:59 pm

I'm AA (also poor neighborhood) as well, and my advice is to approach the LSAT differently than you have done here. Read the guides on this site, and poke around for the info you need. The LSAT is standard, and you should do your networking aside from the LSAT prep portion of your application process.

We don't do anything different because we aren't different when it comes to the LSAT. Treating it any other way is getting off on the wrong start imo. Get that 180
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MovingUnits

New

Post by MovingUnits » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:10 pm

zkyggi wrote:I'm AA (also poor neighborhood) as well, and my advice is to approach the LSAT odd differently than you have done here. Read the guides on this site, and poke around for the info you need. The LSAT is standard, and you should do your networking aside from the LSAT prep portion of your application process.

We don't do anything different because we aren't different when it comes to the LSAT. Treating it any other way is getting off on the wrong start imo. Get that 180

I understand that there isn't necessarily going to be a "URM guide to the LSAT" but I am interested in connecting and talking with current HYS or even CCN AA URM students to just pick their brains and talk about how they prepped and how their cycles went. Essentially, just looking to be social and talk to more people like me.

Thanks for your comment

zkyggi

Bronze

Post by zkyggi » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:17 pm

MovingUnits wrote:
zkyggi wrote:I'm AA (also poor neighborhood) as well, and my advice is to approach the LSAT odd differently than you have done here. Read the guides on this site, and poke around for the info you need. The LSAT is standard, and you should do your networking aside from the LSAT prep portion of your application process.

I understand that there isn't necessarily going to be a "URM guide to the LSAT" but I am interested in connecting and talking with current HYS or even CCN AA URM students to just pick their brains and talk about how they prepped and how their cycles went. Essentially, just looking to be social and talk to more people like me.

Thanks for your comment
I understand why you posted. I just think you are getting the least of both worlds when your thread is about the LSAT and in the LSAT forum when in reality you are looking for URM (specifically AA) networking. Why not post over in the URM sub, where there are threads for exactly what you are looking for?
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

stjeff00

New

Post by stjeff00 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:06 am

I'm actually extremely thankful for this thread. I posted this similar question a few months ago in the URM forum and didn't really receive a lot of responses. So I believe posting it here is useful simply because it appeals to a broader audience. Also , the LSAT experience is ALOT different for URM's. Just in terms of resources readily made available, stereotype threat and numerous other outside factors. So again, I believe it is useful to attempt to solicit help from others who have gone/are going through a similar experience.

MovingUnits

New

Post by MovingUnits » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:38 am

stjeff00 wrote:I'm actually extremely thankful for this thread. I posted this similar question a few months ago in the URM forum and didn't really receive a lot of responses. So I believe posting it here is useful simply because it appeals to a broader audience. Also , the LSAT experience is ALOT different for URM's. Just in terms of resources readily made available, stereotype threat and numerous other outside factors. So again, I believe it is useful to attempt to solicit help from others who have gone/are going through a similar experience.
Exactly! I have been trying hard to connect with URM students who have successfully gotten into top programs. I think there would be a lot to talk about besides just what books or courses to use, but life experiences, and how to navigate the legal world that is so vastly different from ours.

I'm glad you could find use in this thread if we can get it going :!:

Thank you

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MovingUnits

New

Post by MovingUnits » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:41 am

zkyggi wrote:
MovingUnits wrote:

Thanks for your comment
I understand why you posted. I just think you are getting the least of both worlds when your thread is about the LSAT and in the LSAT forum when in reality you are looking for URM (specifically AA) networking. Why not post over in the URM sub, where there are threads for exactly what you are looking for?

Well, again, for the 5th time. I worded it poorly and tried to then correct myself numerous times. I would like to discuss LSAT prep, applications, life experiences and other things with people who look like me and have a similar background. I'm not looking for just specifically networking, but much more. The URM sub seems to be quite a graveyard for things like these and I've seen others who have posted similar questions to no avail.

zkyggi

Bronze

Post by zkyggi » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:56 am

stjeff00 wrote: Also , the LSAT experience is ALOT different for URM's. Just in terms of resources readily made available, stereotype threat and numerous other outside factors. So again, I believe it is useful to attempt to solicit help from others who have gone/are going through a similar experience.
Can you elaborate? I don't think it is different at all. What I do think is different is the access to resources, but resources and information are abundant on here.

That said, I really recommend OP go to the URM thread and message folks who had good cycles the past few years.

MovingUnits

New

Post by MovingUnits » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:09 am

I'm sorry you seem to be having such a hard time understanding this. I am not just looking to network. I am interested in speaking with AA URMS who have been accepted to HYS. I'd like to converse with them about their prep methods, backgrounds, and several other things. I'm looking to speak to people who have similar experiences to mine and hopefully learn from them.

I've seen other threads similar to this posted in the other subs and they had little success. So I'm hoping to get this one off the ground and gather a group of HYS URMS who are willing to share their experiences whether it be prep methods, apps, or simply some solid advice.

That's all. If you can't understand that, then don;t bother contributing to this thread because you've contributed nothing useful.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:12 am

Yeah, I get it Moving Units. I've often tried to get some similar information and have trouble finding people who share our similar backgrounds. TLS is largely useless when you ask anything 9/10 because it's full of argumentative assholes who would rather argue than be helpful. Comes with the territory.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Andersblooms93

New

Post by Andersblooms93 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:25 am

The utility of this post is self-evident...i'll chalk the inability (*unwillingness) of some to understand OP's approach to undue quarrelling or better yet: "argumentative assholes".

I used a testmasters online prep course for three months. Followed by LR Bible and 7sage LG. RC was never an issue. PT'ing 174-180.
My main advice: have a disciplined approach. 4 months full-time > 8 months part-time (commitment of time being constant). Discipline. discipline. discipline.

- Don't count on your boost, just know it's there.

Good luck :)

zkyggi

Bronze

Post by zkyggi » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:37 am

MovingUnits wrote:I'm sorry you seem to be having such a hard time understanding this. I am not just looking to network. I am interested in speaking with AA URMS who have been accepted to HYS. I'd like to converse with them about their prep methods, backgrounds, and several other things. I'm looking to speak to people who have similar experiences to mine and hopefully learn from them.

I've seen other threads similar to this posted in the other subs and they had little success. So I'm hoping to get this one off the ground and gather a group of HYS URMS who are willing to share their experiences whether it be prep methods, apps, or simply some solid advice.

That's all. If you can't understand that, then don;t bother contributing to this thread because you've contributed nothing useful.
I am not having a hard time understanding at all. I completely understand, and also know that these posts often have little success. My question is: why are you doing something that you know has not worked in the past?

How have I contributed nothing useful when it looks like I am the only one on this thread who gave you advice on how to do what you are trying to do (which is not even evident from the title)?

AA URMs, just like past applicants more generally, are not sitting around the LSAT sub like current applicants might. I am not saying that the goal of this post is stupid, only that it is done poorly and, because of that, unlikely to be successful. Last year there were some URMs that had incredible cycles, but I have not seen them on this sub, and it makes sense why. If I got into HYS, I don't think I would spend my time thinking about the LSAT. Why not check out the C/O threads and the URM cycle threads so you can find the people you are looking for?

I am AA myself, and I know the value of AA-specific admissions info as well as the fact that it is hard to find. I have found the URM community here very helpful when I have had questions. it just takes doing your homework to see who to reach out to. Even people who didn't get HYS are incredibly helpful as many vastly outperform their numbers. Why they would be in the LSAT sub after that, I have no clue.

As to the LSAT portion:

I studied using mostly prep tests, intense review and online explanations. It paid off well. I had a bad day on test day and am retaking, but I would reccomend my method to anybody that starts with a diagnostic > 155 or so. Below that and I would reccomend using some of the books (either The Trainer or Powerscore) to nail down the concepts first.

Phil Brooks

Bronze

Post by Phil Brooks » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:56 am

MovingUnits wrote:

Thanks for your comment
Lol dude, chill with the prestige-whoring. For 99% of people attending HYS and CCN, the only difference between the two groups is that CCN offer merit scholarships.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:25 pm

Phil Brooks wrote:
MovingUnits wrote:

Thanks for your comment
Lol dude, chill with the prestige-whoring. For 99% of people attending HYS and CCN, the only difference between the two groups is that CCN offer merit scholarships.
Def did a little eye roll when I read that too lol.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”