having trouble picking a prep book for RC, thoughts? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
InCarnageWeTrusT

New

having trouble picking a prep book for RC, thoughts?

Post by InCarnageWeTrusT » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:09 pm

Hello all,

I decided to pick up Manhattan for LR and Powerscore for LG. I have read numerous posts and still can't decide which RC prep book to buy. I am thinking about either Manhattan or Blueprint.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these two for reading comprehension? Manhattan's book is roughly 300 pages and I believe blueprint's is around 450ish. I read the powerscore RC book isn't worth it.

HesusChrist

New

Re: having trouble picking a prep book for RC, thoughts?

Post by HesusChrist » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:39 pm

LSAT trainer.

InCarnageWeTrusT

New

Post by InCarnageWeTrusT » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:53 pm

I've already read around 75% of the LSAT trainer, I feel like I need more.

#gobroncos

Bronze

Post by #gobroncos » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:48 pm

RC is the one section where I think a book is probably a waste of money for most folks. The Trainer is fine, Powerscore gives you a bunch of gimmicky underlining strategies in a book like three times as long as it needs to be. I can't vouch for others.

The thing about RC, I believe, is that to do well, you need the same strong logic skills developed in LR combined with the ability to read rapidly and with precision. You're better off working really hard getting down the fundamentals of LR and taking a bunch of practice sections. It's just about practice, which is why I think teaching companies really struggle with how to "teach" RC.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:33 pm

RC isn't like the other sections, it's more "personal". You have to figure out what works for you. It's good that you have done the trainer, as reading for structure is very important no matter what approach you take with RC, but do drills and figure out if doing something like no notations or notating is something that works for you.

You have to kind of just figure it out tbh. I don't really know anyone who used a book for RC except the trainer for learning how to read for structure. If you want to try a heavy notation strategy, I recommend "Nicole's RC notation strategy" which you can find out youtube. It's very heavy notation strategy, but it was works great for specific detail questions, imo. Many may argue against notating, but like I said, RC is a personal section and you have to just figure out what works for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:57 pm

I think Manhattan Prep's RC book is very good. I recommend it over PowerScore's RC book. I teach a modified version of their strategy.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:26 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”