The Official December 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

We all want a 180. What's the lowest score you'll take?

Sub 160
4%
160-163
10%
164-167
22%
167-169
16%
12%
171-172
10%
172-174
8%
8%
176-179
4%
6%

Total votes: 118

King of the North

Bronze

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Post by King of the North » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:44 pm

Just went -4 on the colored balls game from PT63. GG I quit

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:05 pm

Aiii ok update on my necessary assumption drill: I was able to get through 40 questions untimed today. Of that, I got 6 wrong (ugh), 2 of which were stupid mistakes again, and the other four were ones where I was down to two but ended up choosing the incorrect one. However, these questions were all Level 2s in the Cambridge Packets with some Level 3s. I've got another set of 40 that's all Level 3s to work on Saturday after the forum to see if I'm actually gucci.

Also, just mildly stressed that I'm making slow progress through logical reasoning but I have to remind myself that I took a huge hit with LR in every single test so I should be spending a lot of time on fixing that. At some point I need to start up LG to fool proof it and RC so I don't get bogged down by difficult passages like Judges' Candor again!

Hope everyone's having a fantastic week!!! I'm taking tomorrow off to hang with lilwing <33333 and then maybe I'll see some of you guys at the LSAC Forum Saturday!

PhiladelphiaCollins

Bronze

Post by PhiladelphiaCollins » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:35 pm

How long are personal statements for American schools? I'm a Canadian applying only in Canada and each statement is 5000-8000 characters max. Reducing the character count suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

kgm1990

New

Post by kgm1990 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:53 pm

PhiladelphiaCollins wrote:How long are personal statements for American schools? I'm a Canadian applying only in Canada and each statement is 5000-8000 characters max. Reducing the character count suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.
I was told to keep mine under 3 pages by an admissions counselor. Somehow it's worse than writing a 10 page paper!! :lol: I think it's so every word and sentence progresses the narrative in an intentional manner.

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:24 pm

PhiladelphiaCollins wrote:How long are personal statements for American schools? I'm a Canadian applying only in Canada and each statement is 5000-8000 characters max. Reducing the character count suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.
I believe the standard is 2 pages max. By max I mean that’s how much they’d prefer you write and not more.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:12 am

littlewing67 wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:What LR questions do you all typically diagram for?

Idk why, but as of recently I have gotten in a bad habit of not doing it if at all unless it is a super clear Nec Assumption or Inference question, but I feel like if I consciously work on it and do it a little more it can mitigate mistakes with logically deduced questions.
If it’s a more wordy stimulus I do, but if it’s a parallel or most strongly supported/MBT I usually don’t because I can see it in my head better. Again unless the stem has more wordy and less straight forward if/then statements. But I also mark up my stimuli like crazy, underlining, circling, etc. cause it helps me absorb the material better.
Okay cool. Thanks. This is pretty much exactly my approach. I also mark up the stim like crazy.
chewinggum wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:What LR questions do you all typically diagram for?

Idk why, but as of recently I have gotten in a bad habit of not doing it if at all unless it is a super clear Nec Assumption or Inference question, but I feel like if I consciously work on it and do it a little more it can mitigate mistakes with logically deduced questions.
I barely diagram - only if it's formal logic and usually only parallel.

I tend to overthink a lot on this test and it's so frustrating. For example, 66 S2 Q13 is so intuitive but I'd never expect that AC to be correct bc it isn't really lsat-y
Thanks! So it seems im not the only one who doesnt do it a whole lot. I thought you are "supposed" to do it more than I do. I maybe do it once per section. No more than 3 questions. And Ill have to check out that question. I did that PT but dont remember off the top of my head rn

Eleven

New

Post by Eleven » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:14 am

Mikey wrote:
Tavorak wrote:
Mikey wrote:PT 61

LR: -3/-3
LG: -3
RC: -9 ok, you win RC

it just seems like I am always going to do fucking shitty on RC unless I get lucky, so might as well accept my shitty fate
How are you approaching reading comp? 7Sage's memory method helped me, and I just got the Manhattan RC and so far I like it.
I just read. I've tried probably every single RC approach that is out there and none have ever clicked for me. So now, I just read.. do circles for names, maybe underline some stuff I think may be important.. I do what people always say to do about after reading a paragraph summarize it in your head know its purpose, blah blah blah. Idk, it's whatever at this point, sometimes I go like -3 and sometimes I go -9. I honestly think it's a mentality thing with RC, because I'm always going to have it in the back of my mind as being the section I struggled most with always and that I'm just terrible at it..

I've also done a crap ton of RC drilling which helped and I always -0 or -1'd each passage but on PTs I just get all screwed up with RC
The only thing that worked for me was to read faster than normal. When I get to the question's, if possible, I cover up the AC's with my and make a solid guess before going on. That extra 10 seconds often keeps me from spending 30 seconds debating between 2 choices, one of which I would have never considered if I had formulated my own answer beforehand.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:41 pm

Thanks for the RC advice y'all.

Ugh, reviewed the LR from PT 61 that I went -3/-3 on.. All of my wrong wrong answers seem to be showing a pattern of me getting questions wrong starting in the late teens/early 20's, and are all harder ones. I need to tighten this up.. can't be going -3 on each LR, that's too many points wasted.. May drill high level difficulty LR Q's the next few days

NoodlePros

New

Post by NoodlePros » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:54 pm

deleted
Last edited by NoodlePros on Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:09 pm

clueless801 wrote:Aiii ok update on my necessary assumption drill: I was able to get through 40 questions untimed today. Of that, I got 6 wrong (ugh), 2 of which were stupid mistakes again, and the other four were ones where I was down to two but ended up choosing the incorrect one. However, these questions were all Level 2s in the Cambridge Packets with some Level 3s. I've got another set of 40 that's all Level 3s to work on Saturday after the forum to see if I'm actually gucci.

Also, just mildly stressed that I'm making slow progress through logical reasoning but I have to remind myself that I took a huge hit with LR in every single test so I should be spending a lot of time on fixing that. At some point I need to start up LG to fool proof it and RC so I don't get bogged down by difficult passages like Judges' Candor again!

Hope everyone's having a fantastic week!!! I'm taking tomorrow off to hang with lilwing <33333 and then maybe I'll see some of you guys at the LSAC Forum Saturday!
When you're down to two, do you try the negation method or ask yourself does this HAVE to be true for the argument? I found that once I started doing that for NA my accuracy went up.

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:40 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
clueless801 wrote:Aiii ok update on my necessary assumption drill: I was able to get through 40 questions untimed today. Of that, I got 6 wrong (ugh), 2 of which were stupid mistakes again, and the other four were ones where I was down to two but ended up choosing the incorrect one. However, these questions were all Level 2s in the Cambridge Packets with some Level 3s. I've got another set of 40 that's all Level 3s to work on Saturday after the forum to see if I'm actually gucci.

When you're down to two, do you try the negation method or ask yourself does this HAVE to be true for the argument? I found that once I started doing that for NA my accuracy went up.
I usually do the negation method, though I'll definitely try to be more aware of if it absolutely has to be true if I get stuck again.

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:55 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greatspirit

Bronze

Post by greatspirit » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Tips on how to get into a conducive mindset after a day at work for studying? And none of that “lol just force it” dictum - I’m a “matter influences the mind” sort of person.

Weekday evenings after work are THE LAST time I want to study, but I know that this hesitation is holding back my ability to study significantly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

greatspirit

Bronze

Post by greatspirit » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Experiment626 wrote:

Once you started doing WHAT exactly? Trying the negation method? Or asking yourself if it HAS to be true for the argument?

greatspirit

Bronze

Post by greatspirit » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:43 pm

Friday night...this thread should be bumping!

I’m taking a look at Parallel: Flaw and Weaken questions. Any TLS tips for those two Q types?

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:48 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saffles

Bronze

Post by saffles » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:03 pm

littlewing67 wrote:Any other sad souls going to the LSAC forum in NYC tomorrow? See y'all there :mrgreen:
Yeah, but do I have to arrive at 11 or can I show up in the middle?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:55 am

Last edited by littlewing67 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:55 am

greatspirit wrote:Friday night...this thread should be bumping!

I’m taking a look at Parallel: Flaw and Weaken questions. Any TLS tips for those two Q types?
Do we need to bring anything?

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:47 am

Coffee, Music, Harder weaken questions drilling

what a great way to spend my Saturday morning :roll:

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:26 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:42 pm

Has anyone noticed themselves doing much better on one particular section but doing worse on the others? I’ve improved significantly on LG but haven’t improved hardly at all on RC and feel like I’m possibly doing worse on LR. The only explanation I can think of is I’m spending too much time on LG and neglecting the others. And my studying lately has consisted almost entirely of just timed sections and one full PT on saturdays.

What do you guys think.. should I start doing specific question type drills for LR? And I’m lost on improving on RC.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:22 pm

greatspirit wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:

Once you started doing WHAT exactly? Trying the negation method? Or asking yourself if it HAS to be true for the argument?
Both. I do whichever one is easier for me based on how the AC's written. Short answers usually do the negation method. Long ones, does this have to be true. I suppose just doing the latter would work by itself.

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:24 pm

Went to the forum today which was interesting. Now I’m at the library and I’m sooo out of energy and it’s taking so much for me to not get up and head back home. What to dooooooo

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:27 pm

Mikey wrote:Coffee, Music, Harder weaken questions drilling

what a great way to spend my Saturday morning :roll:
6 section LSAT because I didn't realize the PDF I had already had an experimental section built in until after finishing the experimental LR section I picked and then getting to a second LG section...

PT 71- 173

LR-7
LG-0
RC-4

*DEAD*

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”