The Official December 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

We all want a 180. What's the lowest score you'll take?

Sub 160
4%
160-163
10%
164-167
22%
167-169
16%
12%
171-172
10%
172-174
8%
8%
176-179
4%
6%

Total votes: 118

kgm1990

New

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Post by kgm1990 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:59 pm

chewinggum wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
kgm1990 wrote:The absolute hardest part of studying for me are the schedules that I create for myself. It literally takes me a day to organize these things and write it out in my planners and Excel sheets. I hate the idea of the wasting time on not knowing, or idly trying to study it ALL. Is anyone else like this?
Same. I have to make a schedule or else I will definitely be unproductive. I think it’s easier to stay on track when you plan for the week instead of each day so that you don’t slack off and end up falling behind
I stopped doing this but instead would record the actual time stamp i spent working... for example: I would mark that I sat down at 12:21 and worked until 1:15 and then start again when i actually sit down and start working again. I would tally up my hours at the end of the day. This helped me stay accountable. I also just briefly noted what i did so i had an idea moving forward. I got this idea from Economist GMAT and it recorded the actual amt of time you spent working as your progression through their program. THis def helped me stay accountable and grind
I might try that.

I have the issue of convincing myself to take a "power nap" after work which turns into a coma. So I kind of have to plan ahead bc I don't trust myself
Have you heard about the Pomodoro method of studying? Basically, it's like taking bursts of studying and then giving yourself a breather. The only issue is that there is no time between sections to take a quick break during the LSAT. It helps when trying to actual studying, like of concepts and stuff.

kgm1990

New

Post by kgm1990 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:01 pm

Also, has anyone else gotten inundated with fee waivers for law schools sent to their email boxes? Literally every couple of minutes my phone is dinging. It's like a cruel sort of irony while studying for the LSAT. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:06 pm

kgm1990 wrote:Also, has anyone else gotten inundated with fee waivers for law schools sent to their email boxes? Literally every couple of minutes my phone is dinging. It's like a cruel sort of irony while studying for the LSAT. :lol: :lol: :lol:
That and messages about visiting their table at the LSAC Forum Saturday. I delete the majority of them...

kgm1990

New

Post by kgm1990 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:08 pm

clueless801 wrote:
kgm1990 wrote:Also, has anyone else gotten inundated with fee waivers for law schools sent to their email boxes? Literally every couple of minutes my phone is dinging. It's like a cruel sort of irony while studying for the LSAT. :lol: :lol: :lol:
That and messages about visiting their table at the LSAC Forum Saturday. I delete the majority of them...
I'm keeping them because I want to count after this is all done. I'm a numbers nerd.

saffles

Bronze

Post by saffles » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:22 pm

clueless801 wrote:Hello friends, just wanted to pop in and say I did a drill of 58 sufficient assumption questions and only got 6 wrong, 2 of which were stupid mistakes with the other 4 being in the hardest category. I know this isn’t a big deal for many of you guys but I used to consistently get SA questions wrong so this is huggeeee for me!! Also for anyone else who’s having a similar issue with SA: I did the chapter in Manhattan LSAT and then followed it up with the questions from Fox book. The 58 I did right now is a Cambridge set.
Congratulations! I'll be checking out the Manhattan lesson on Assumptions types next week, haha. But your progress gives me hope!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GnarMarBinx

Bronze

Post by GnarMarBinx » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:10 pm

clueless801 wrote:Hello friends, just wanted to pop in and say I did a drill of 58 sufficient assumption questions and only got 6 wrong, 2 of which were stupid mistakes with the other 4 being in the hardest category. I know this isn’t a big deal for many of you guys but I used to consistently get SA questions wrong so this is huggeeee for me!! Also for anyone else who’s having a similar issue with SA: I did the chapter in Manhattan LSAT and then followed it up with the questions from Fox book. The 58 I did right now is a Cambridge set.
That's a super solid performance considering they were your hardest category!! When you drill by type like that do you still try to go fast like you would in a test? Usually, when I drill by type I just stay on a question for like 5 mins if I need to. Not sure if others do the same or if they try to go fast like in a real test.

magic

New

Post by magic » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:58 pm

Checking in! Literally just decided to retake my June LSAT.

Taking PT 36 today to establish a new baseline. I'm a little late to the game and I've barely looked at any of my materials since June, but I have a lot of free time before December so hopefully things work out.

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:56 am

GnarMarBinx wrote: That's a super solid performance considering they were your hardest category!! When you drill by type like that do you still try to go fast like you would in a test? Usually, when I drill by type I just stay on a question for like 5 mins if I need to. Not sure if others do the same or if they try to go fast like in a real test.
I went untimed for everything. I figured I had to still get the idea down before going for speed. Manhattan Prep shows this super simple way of writing out the argument core so I actually wrote out argument cores for all the questions in that book and Nathan’s book. Did it for these two because explanations followed so I could always make sure that I got the argument right. I didn’t write out the argument cores for the Cambridge drill sets - I just went through them. I actually ended up going through it a lot faster than I thought I would!! I’m telling you man, I would struggle with these questions and get soo upset but this time around I got the argument really quickly and managed to eliminate most of the answers. I have a plan to do a drill set of necessary assumption questions tomorrow so wish me luck!

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:08 am

kgm1990 wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
kgm1990 wrote:The absolute hardest part of studying for me are the schedules that I create for myself. It literally takes me a day to organize these things and write it out in my planners and Excel sheets. I hate the idea of the wasting time on not knowing, or idly trying to study it ALL. Is anyone else like this?
Same. I have to make a schedule or else I will definitely be unproductive. I think it’s easier to stay on track when you plan for the week instead of each day so that you don’t slack off and end up falling behind
I stopped doing this but instead would record the actual time stamp i spent working... for example: I would mark that I sat down at 12:21 and worked until 1:15 and then start again when i actually sit down and start working again. I would tally up my hours at the end of the day. This helped me stay accountable. I also just briefly noted what i did so i had an idea moving forward. I got this idea from Economist GMAT and it recorded the actual amt of time you spent working as your progression through their program. THis def helped me stay accountable and grind
I might try that.

I have the issue of convincing myself to take a "power nap" after work which turns into a coma. So I kind of have to plan ahead bc I don't trust myself
Have you heard about the Pomodoro method of studying? Basically, it's like taking bursts of studying and then giving yourself a breather. The only issue is that there is no time between sections to take a quick break during the LSAT. It helps when trying to actual studying, like of concepts and stuff.
I have heard of it but never tried it... I focus fine during timed sections or full length LSAT, but reviewing concepts and drilling Q-type I am either focused af or Im like a cat and its so hard to focus.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GnarMarBinx

Bronze

Post by GnarMarBinx » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:50 am

clueless801 wrote:
GnarMarBinx wrote: That's a super solid performance considering they were your hardest category!! When you drill by type like that do you still try to go fast like you would in a test? Usually, when I drill by type I just stay on a question for like 5 mins if I need to. Not sure if others do the same or if they try to go fast like in a real test.
I went untimed for everything. I figured I had to still get the idea down before going for speed. Manhattan Prep shows this super simple way of writing out the argument core so I actually wrote out argument cores for all the questions in that book and Nathan’s book. Did it for these two because explanations followed so I could always make sure that I got the argument right. I didn’t write out the argument cores for the Cambridge drill sets - I just went through them. I actually ended up going through it a lot faster than I thought I would!! I’m telling you man, I would struggle with these questions and get soo upset but this time around I got the argument really quickly and managed to eliminate most of the answers. I have a plan to do a drill set of necessary assumption questions tomorrow so wish me luck!
Ahh, I see! That's sort of how I do it as well, and I also have the Fox book. I haven't gone through Manhattan, so I haven't seen the argument core symbolization technique. I usually just try to not notate anything because that's what I'll usually be doing on the real test. I've actually found, however, that no notation was a lot easier on the tests before the 70's because there is a lot less information thrown at you in the stimuli in those ones. Maybe I should start practicing some notation techniques for the harder, newer questions. Good luck on the nec assump questions!! You will kill it.

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:44 am

Last edited by littlewing67 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:26 pm

littlewing67 wrote:I really hate how long some book companies take to send out books. Ordered the fox book and they sent it by media mail AKA snail mail. :cry:

I'm hoping it's possible to go up at least 4 points in the next 6 weeks.....if not does anyone know the deadline to change LSAT dates?

I spoke to a trusted source who told me 4 takes looks really sloppy on an application, so I'm afraid to take Dec. + June (if need be), and would rather take one or the other. Thoughts?
Information is in my OP to start this thread

Tavorak

New

Post by Tavorak » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:32 pm

littlewing67 wrote:I really hate how long some book companies take to send out books. Ordered the fox book and they sent it by media mail AKA snail mail. :cry:

I'm hoping it's possible to go up at least 4 points in the next 6 weeks.....if not does anyone know the deadline to change LSAT dates?

I spoke to a trusted source who told me 4 takes looks really sloppy on an application, so I'm afraid to take Dec. + June (if need be), and would rather take one or the other. Thoughts?
I got the Fox book through Amazon and it arrived in two days, but I didn't check if I was overpaying.
I've heard six is where it's bad but now that there isn't a limit, schools are going to see an uptick in takes on applications so three or four isn't
a big deal. December will be my fourth time but it's mostly for scholarship money and not really necessary for admission to schools I'm applying to.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

greatspirit

Bronze

Post by greatspirit » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:42 pm

kgm1990 wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
I might try that.

I would also recommend the Pomodoro.

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:11 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:28 pm

PT 61

LR: -3/-3
LG: -3
RC: -9 ok, you win RC

it just seems like I am always going to do fucking shitty on RC unless I get lucky, so might as well accept my shitty fate

Tavorak

New

Post by Tavorak » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:32 pm

Mikey wrote:PT 61

it just seems like I am always going to do fucking shitty on RC unless I get lucky, so might as well accept my shitty fate
How are you approaching reading comp? 7Sage's memory method helped me, and I just got the Manhattan RC and so far I like it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:39 pm

Tavorak wrote:

How are you approaching reading comp? 7Sage's memory method helped me, and I just got the Manhattan RC and so far I like it.
I just read. I've tried probably every single RC approach that is out there and none have ever clicked for me. So now, I just read.. do circles for names, maybe underline some stuff I think may be important.. I do what people always say to do about after reading a paragraph summarize it in your head know its purpose, blah blah blah. Idk, it's whatever at this point, sometimes I go like -3 and sometimes I go -9. I honestly think it's a mentality thing with RC, because I'm always going to have it in the back of my mind as being the section I struggled most with always and that I'm just terrible at it..

I've also done a crap ton of RC drilling which helped and I always -0 or -1'd each passage but on PTs I just get all screwed up with RC

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:59 pm

Mikey wrote:
Tavorak wrote:

I just read. I've tried probably every single RC approach that is out there and none have ever clicked for me. So now, I just read.. do circles for names, maybe underline some stuff I think may be important.. I do what people always say to do about after reading a paragraph summarize it in your head know its purpose, blah blah blah. Idk, it's whatever at this point, sometimes I go like -3 and sometimes I go -9. I honestly think it's a mentality thing with RC, because I'm always going to have it in the back of my mind as being the section I struggled most with always and that I'm just terrible at it..

I've also done a crap ton of RC drilling which helped and I always -0 or -1'd each passage but on PTs I just get all screwed up with RC
Mikey! exactly. You just need to change your mentality and be confident and somehow or another you will pull it off

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:03 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Mikey! exactly. You just need to change your mentality and be confident and somehow or another you will pull it off
wish I could change my mentality asap lol. September really took a hit on my confidence lmao

Saylor1720

New

Post by Saylor1720 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:20 pm

Hey guys. Just to chime in on the RC thing. It's cliché, but don't give up. I was battling with RC for the longest time. Same boat as you guys. Could be -3/5 one day and -8/10 the other.

What helped me in the end was just working at it repeatedly. I'd copy the RC section I'd be working on PT or otherwise and I would re-do any passages I got -2 or more on (-1 and I'd be doing almost every passage). I'd do them over the next few days.

Anyways, September lsat. Everyone thought the RC was brutal.. but to me it didn't make a difference because every RC was brutal for me! I ended up with a -6 which I was totally happy with. I was at the point I would sell my soul for -6 on test day. So just keep at it! Every point helps!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:18 pm

What LR questions do you all typically diagram for?

Idk why, but as of recently I have gotten in a bad habit of not doing it if at all unless it is a super clear Nec Assumption or Inference question, but I feel like if I consciously work on it and do it a little more it can mitigate mistakes with logically deduced questions.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:19 pm

Mikey wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
wish I could change my mentality asap lol. September really took a hit on my confidence lmao
Cant sweat it Mikey. Me too brotha. Sept is done and history. We gotta just keep grinding and focus on DEC being the ONE. Crushed it.

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:57 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:What LR questions do you all typically diagram for?

Idk why, but as of recently I have gotten in a bad habit of not doing it if at all unless it is a super clear Nec Assumption or Inference question, but I feel like if I consciously work on it and do it a little more it can mitigate mistakes with logically deduced questions.
I barely diagram - only if it's formal logic and usually only parallel.

I tend to overthink a lot on this test and it's so frustrating. For example, 66 S2 Q13 is so intuitive but I'd never expect that AC to be correct bc it isn't really lsat-y

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:24 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”