The Official December 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

We all want a 180. What's the lowest score you'll take?

Sub 160
4%
160-163
10%
164-167
22%
167-169
16%
12%
171-172
10%
172-174
8%
8%
176-179
4%
6%

Total votes: 118

MercW07

Bronze

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Post by MercW07 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:14 am

Experiment626 wrote:
MercW07 wrote:
King of the North wrote:
detwings123 wrote:
King of the North wrote:Checking in. Fresh back from a vacation in Europe and realizing I have four months left to study :| Cold diagnostic back in May was a 153. I probably got in the equivalent of a month, maybe a month in a half worth of studying in before my 10 day trip where I did not even think about the LSAT. Would like to attend Vandy, will obviously go to a better school if the scholarships/whatever make it worthwhile. GPA is a 3.5. By this time next summer I'll have had 2 years of experience at a big law firm working as a lobbyist.

Anyone else in here planning on taking it in Dec. then applying right after to attend in the Fall of 2018? How reasonable does my plan/timetable sound to everyone, realistically? I think a 168+ will put me in an okay position (and yes, I know, aim for the highest score possible. I am.).

Anyway, let's do this peeps.
I have a very similar GPA and definitely want to attend in fall of 2018, but like some have said on here for people with our GPA we may have a better outcome applying to the next cycle from the very start. I'm still leaning towards attending in 2018 and trying to get that 168+ to get some acceptances in the t-14 and money from the schools below that but it does feel like a disadvantage applying later in the cycle. I'm just not sure how big of a disadvantage it will be considering a 3.5 doesn't really classify us as a splitter.
I really, really do not want to wait another year. It's just not acceptable for me. 3.5 is in the bottom 25 percentile for Vandy-that I know for sure-but I really do think a 170 would give me a good chance of getting in. With some money.
Unless you have absolutely nonexistent softs (which is clearly not the case if you have 2 years of big law experience), you'll get into Vandy with a 170/3.5 even if you apply in January
I was the one that mentioned timing. Please remember it was a general comment that depends on what your whole package looks like. I would really encourage you to talk to the admissions office to get a better idea. I know that Georgetown told me that if you have something below the median, the sooner the better. They also encouraged me to put in my application itself as early as possible with a note to hold for the December LSAT. That way my "spot" in line for review is as close to the front as possible when December scores are released, i.e. If I apply Oct 1 and someone applies Jan 4th after they get their score, I'll be looked at before anyone else who applies between us. Each school is different on this so check with each one to figure out best strategy.
What would you recommend for someone who is reapplying with (hopefully) a much higher LSAT? I applied last cycle with a mid 150s LSAT, then in around March I decided not to go this fall and to retake (hence the reason Im in this group). Should I still send out my application in October with my low LSAT score and tell them Im taking it again in December, or because Im hoping for such a large gain should I just wait for my new score and apply in early January? Basically my thinking here is if they aren't going to look at my application until I get my score back anyway, is there really an advantage to submitting it and just having it sit around for 2 months not even being touched?
I guess I understand applying early for someone who already scored high and is just hoping for a few point jump, but Im wondering if because Im hoping for such a large gain if that makes my situation a bit different with regards to when I submit my app.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:34 am

MercW07 wrote: What would you recommend for someone who is reapplying with (hopefully) a much higher LSAT? I applied last cycle with a mid 150s LSAT, then in around March I decided not to go this fall and to retake (hence the reason Im in this group). Should I still send out my application in October with my low LSAT score and tell them Im taking it again in December, or because Im hoping for such a large gain should I just wait for my new score and apply in early January? Basically my thinking here is if they aren't going to look at my application until I get my score back anyway, is there really an advantage to submitting it and just having it sit around for 2 months not even being touched?
I guess I understand applying early for someone who already scored high and is just hoping for a few point jump, but Im wondering if because Im hoping for such a large gain if that makes my situation a bit different with regards to when I submit my app.
Honestly, I know I'm repeating myself, it depends on the school. I talked to multiple schools at the LSAC forum and my feeling was that I should submit and tell them to hold until your test score is released. Gtown specifically talked about "place held". Others that said it was up to you but mentioned having all your other application material in ahead of the score allowed them to do all the prep work needed to create the packet so when scores were released they just added that and it went off for review. I would imagine that it's much faster to update a packet versus creating a new one which would allow your application to be reviewed earlier than someone who submits everything the day after scores are released. Is your GPA below the median for your target schools or right around? If you're below the 25th, like me, then probably as early as possible but you run the risk of if you decide you want another retake them denying you and having to do new essays for next cycle because I'm sure they look down on recycled material since they'll have this year's application and next year's. I'm actually on the fence for just delaying my cycle and focusing on the December test and applying day 1 for the 19 cycle.

detwings123

New

Post by detwings123 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:49 am

Experiment626 wrote:
MercW07 wrote: What would you recommend for someone who is reapplying with (hopefully) a much higher LSAT? I applied last cycle with a mid 150s LSAT, then in around March I decided not to go this fall and to retake (hence the reason Im in this group). Should I still send out my application in October with my low LSAT score and tell them Im taking it again in December, or because Im hoping for such a large gain should I just wait for my new score and apply in early January? Basically my thinking here is if they aren't going to look at my application until I get my score back anyway, is there really an advantage to submitting it and just having it sit around for 2 months not even being touched?
Honestly, I know I'm repeating myself, it depends on the school. I talked to multiple schools at the LSAC forum and my feeling was that I should submit and tell them to hold until your test score is released. Gtown specifically talked about "place held". Others that said it was up to you but mentioned having all your other application material in ahead of the score allowed them to do all the prep work needed to create the packet so when scores were released they just added that and it went off for review. I would imagine that it's much faster to update a packet versus creating a new one which would allow your application to be reviewed earlier than someone who submits everything the day after scores are released. Is your GPA below the median for your target schools or right around? If you're below the 25th, like me, then probably as early as possible but you run the risk of if you decide you want another retake them denying you and having to do new essays for next cycle because I'm sure they look down on recycled material since they'll have this year's application and next year's. I'm actually on the fence for just delaying my cycle and focusing on the December test and applying day 1 for the 19 cycle.
It's also important to note that even if you get denied early some schools will reconsider with new information made available, which is what I read specifically with UMich. I believe you have to do your own research though on the subject because each school is different. The schools can see that you are retaking so some will place you in a hold to review pile automatically, which would place you at an advantage over a student just applying as soon as they get their score in the beginning of Jan because it takes a few weeks for the app to process.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:13 pm

If I don't see RC improvements (fast) I'll be joining. It's the only section keeping me from a 170+ and I'm frustrated and don't know how to fix it. SOS. RIP. FRC (you can figure out what that one means, lol)

Tape Dog

New

Post by Tape Dog » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:09 am

Taking December for what will be my fifth LSAT... Long-time studier looking for gold~~~

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CMac86

Bronze

Post by CMac86 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:44 pm

I'm telling myself December, but I need to get approval from my job. Since they took out the limit on number of attempts, if my work approves, I could take Decemeber 2017, February 2018, and potentially June 2018. My goal is to apply for acceptance to start in 2019 (so, applying in fall 2018). There's a chance December will be approved, but I'm guessing I'll have a better shot at February or June...so if I study like I'm taking it in December, I'll resume vs. procrastinate.

I sat for Feb 2017. Wrote a 156. My PT average going into the test was 160, so slightly underperformed. I took the time between the February test and now off to focus on school and work. I work full time (military musician) and go to school online (typically 6 credit hours at a time in 8 week courses). I'm right at the end of my vacation, and figure now is the time to get an LSAT study routine established before school resumes later in the month.

My goal is to get 160+ to be safely above the 75ths for my target schools.

YaleLawSchoolorBust

New

Post by YaleLawSchoolorBust » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:38 pm

First-time taker checking in here! I'm tentatively planning on February 2018, actually, but my diagnostic was much higher than I expected. If I find myself PTing in the 178-180 range consistently before December, I might as well take the LSAT then and be done with it.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:36 pm

CMac86 wrote:I'm telling myself December, but I need to get approval from my job. Since they took out the limit on number of attempts, if my work approves, I could take Decemeber 2017, February 2018, and potentially June 2018. My goal is to apply for acceptance to start in 2019 (so, applying in fall 2018). There's a chance December will be approved, but I'm guessing I'll have a better shot at February or June...so if I study like I'm taking it in December, I'll resume vs. procrastinate.

I sat for Feb 2017. Wrote a 156. My PT average going into the test was 160, so slightly underperformed. I took the time between the February test and now off to focus on school and work. I work full time (military musician) and go to school online (typically 6 credit hours at a time in 8 week courses). I'm right at the end of my vacation, and figure now is the time to get an LSAT study routine established before school resumes later in the month.

My goal is to get 160+ to be safely above the 75ths for my target schools.
I'm confused as to why work needs to approve you taking a test but good luck with that!

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:40 pm

YaleLawSchoolorBust wrote:First-time taker checking in here! I'm tentatively planning on February 2018, actually, but my diagnostic was much higher than I expected. If I find myself PTing in the 178-180 range consistently before December, I might as well take the LSAT then and be done with it.

So it sounds like you're applying for the 2019 cycle at the earliest. I have a couple of items for consideration.

First, the February test is undisclosed, that means you just get your score. The other tests you get your score, answers, and a copy of the questions to be able to look at your performance. I know I'm the type that couldn't deal with just getting my score, especially if I have a bad test, and would want access to the information to see where I made my mistakes.

Second, if you see an improvement faster than your timeline and decide to take December make sure you're registered ahead of the deadline and at a good location. The good ones fill up fast, and will definitely start filling up fast right after the September test.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:52 pm

How have you guys been drilling LR?

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:24 pm

King of the North wrote:How have you guys been drilling LR?
I've been working with the Juneretakers group, I'm an admin for it as well, and we've been doing weekly reviews of sections both in large and small group formats.

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:51 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
I've been working with the Juneretakers group, I'm an admin for it as well, and we've been doing weekly reviews of sections both in large and small group formats.
So you guys drill old LR sections? Or what. I've got the cambridge set of LR questions and all the PTs. Just don't know how to go about drilling LR as I learn LG.

YaleLawSchoolorBust

New

Post by YaleLawSchoolorBust » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:25 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
YaleLawSchoolorBust wrote:First-time taker checking in here! I'm tentatively planning on February 2018, actually, but my diagnostic was much higher than I expected. If I find myself PTing in the 178-180 range consistently before December, I might as well take the LSAT then and be done with it.

So it sounds like you're applying for the 2019 cycle at the earliest. I have a couple of items for consideration.

First, the February test is undisclosed, that means you just get your score. The other tests you get your score, answers, and a copy of the questions to be able to look at your performance. I know I'm the type that couldn't deal with just getting my score, especially if I have a bad test, and would want access to the information to see where I made my mistakes.

Second, if you see an improvement faster than your timeline and decide to take December make sure you're registered ahead of the deadline and at a good location. The good ones fill up fast, and will definitely start filling up fast right after the September test.
Yep, 2019 is the plan! I'm going into my junior year of undergrad, so I'll be KJD. I've done some reading on the February LSAT. I had originally heard it was harder, but that seems to be a myth. I'd certainly be bothered by getting a low score on an undisclosed test, but the timing of the test does seem to make sense for me. I have 3-4 weeks of unstructured time on my hands right now, and I've just begun my LSAT studying with two cold PT's, both 170's. I had planned on February/June 2018, but it looks like I may not need as much studying to hit my goal as I originally thought. I wanted to study longer than most, but the four months until December may be just about right for me. I'll see where I'm at once classes start, and then I'll make the decision about December. Thanks for the reminder about registering for December. That's something I'll need to stay on top of.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CMac86

Bronze

Post by CMac86 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:54 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
I'm confused as to why work needs to approve you taking a test but good luck with that!
I'm in the military music program. Since most of the tests are on Saturdays, I get permission from the command so they won't stick me on a gig that day.

PhiladelphiaCollins

Bronze

Post by PhiladelphiaCollins » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:45 pm

Tape Dog wrote:Taking December for what will be my fifth LSAT... Long-time studier looking for gold~~~
Same here...won't go into too much detail but my last two attempts I've been PTing between 161-167 and ending up with a 156 both times, most recently on the June LSAT. I think my issue is not testing enough in distracting environments (I did most PTs in my room). My plan this go around is to do and review 30+ PTs before Dec.2 in coffee shops/public libraries.

Did the June 07 PT last week and got a 161 after a month off. Breakdown was:

LG: -3
LR1: -5
LR2: -5
RC: -7

Shooting for a 173+ in December.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:17 pm

King of the North wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:
So you guys drill old LR sections? Or what. I've got the cambridge set of LR questions and all the PTs. Just don't know how to go about drilling LR as I learn LG.
Yea, the large group is drilling 2 sections (not just LR), per week from an old test and then reviewing them together. Each of the smaller groups have their own work they're doing as well.

Tape Dog

New

Post by Tape Dog » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:37 am

PhiladelphiaCollins wrote:
Tape Dog wrote:Taking December for what will be my fifth LSAT... Long-time studier looking for gold~~~
Same here...won't go into too much detail but my last two attempts I've been PTing between 161-167 and ending up with a 156 both times, most recently on the June LSAT. I think my issue is not testing enough in distracting environments (I did most PTs in my room). My plan this go around is to do and review 30+ PTs before Dec.2 in coffee shops/public libraries.

Did the June 07 PT last week and got a 161 after a month off. Breakdown was:

LG: -3
LR1: -5
LR2: -5
RC: -7

Shooting for a 173+ in December.
Glad to see people in the same boat. Just hired a tutor for the September test (4th time).

Strategy for December:
- Prepare for and take September
- Go over 15-20 more PT's
- Take December

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RoastedSlug

New

Post by RoastedSlug » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:38 pm

Checking in! Long time lurker, took my first take in September 2016, but decided to wait out applying to law-school till after graduating UG and working a bit. So, i'll be trying again this December, and trying to apply next cycle.

digitality

New

Post by digitality » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:02 pm

checking in because my confidence re september is really rattled.

everyone in the other thread has already heard my sob story. to make a long story short, taking in december means i'll have to study concurrent with my grad program, but i think ~5-8 hours a week i can scrounge throughout september, october, and november could really do me some good. but then my first semester of grad school would really suck. *sighhhhh*

doglawin

New

Post by doglawin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:10 pm

Hi team, checking in!

So I've yet to take the LSAT. I started studying in June and despite having a full time job, I've been able to study well and improve my score 165-167 (though I haven't finished my PS LG studies).

I'm a bit confused and maybe one of you can help me. My uGPA is unfortunately mediocre, I went to a few schools and failed out of the first one. However, my GPA saw a major improvement at the school I graduated from, even though I had an internship and an assistant research position my senior year. I've spoken to two professors who have assured me strong LOR's. The confusion lies in my application timeline, I want to take the December test to ensure a 170+, hopefully that will make up for my 2.7 uGPA. But I've heard that even with a brilliant score I shouldn't apply until the 2019 cycle, rather than the 18 cycle. The reasoning is that I won't be able to submit my application until late December and that'll hurt my chances as a splitter. What do you think?

Thanks,
DogLawvin'

digitality

New

Post by digitality » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:51 pm

doglawin wrote:Hi team, checking in!

So I've yet to take the LSAT. I started studying in June and despite having a full time job, I've been able to study well and improve my score 165-167 (though I haven't finished my PS LG studies).

I'm a bit confused and maybe one of you can help me. My uGPA is unfortunately mediocre, I went to a few schools and failed out of the first one. However, my GPA saw a major improvement at the school I graduated from, even though I had an internship and an assistant research position my senior year. I've spoken to two professors who have assured me strong LOR's. The confusion lies in my application timeline, I want to take the December test to ensure a 170+, hopefully that will make up for my 2.7 uGPA. But I've heard that even with a brilliant score I shouldn't apply until the 2019 cycle, rather than the 18 cycle. The reasoning is that I won't be able to submit my application until late December and that'll hurt my chances as a splitter. What do you think?

Thanks,
DogLawvin'
i don't know a whole lot, but i do know that admissions at most places are rolling, so submitting that late in the game really puts you behind the eight ball. even with a killer LSAT, i'm sure that GPA will turn some heads, so your safest bet probably is waiting for 19.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:08 pm

Fuck logic games.

As you were.

doglawin

New

Post by doglawin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:24 pm

digitality wrote:

Thanks,
DogLawvin'
i don't know a whole lot, but i do know that admissions at most places are rolling, so submitting that late in the game really puts you behind the eight ball. even with a killer LSAT, i'm sure that GPA will turn some heads, so your safest bet probably is waiting for 19.

thanks! As much as I don't want to wait another year, I'm probably going to have to hold off. I do have a good job though. Do you know if my LORs from this year will hold for next year's application cycle? I recently graduated in May so if I apply for the 19 cycle I'll have only been out of school 1.5 years

digitality

New

Post by digitality » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:53 pm

doglawin wrote: thanks! As much as I don't want to wait another year, I'm probably going to have to hold off. I do have a good job though. Do you know if my LORs from this year will hold for next year's application cycle? I recently graduated in May so if I apply for the 19 cycle I'll have only been out of school 1.5 years
couldn't tell ya. i honestly have no idea what i'm doing for LORs myself. i graduated in May, plan on taking the LSAT in December, then don't plan on applying till after i finish my masters in June 2019, so i guess that puts me in the 2020 cycle. so i'll have been out of UG for 2.5 years, which is kind of while. hopefully my grad profs will like me and hopefully schools don't mind letters from them.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:36 am

doglawin wrote:
digitality wrote:

Thanks,
DogLawvin'

thanks! As much as I don't want to wait another year, I'm probably going to have to hold off. I do have a good job though. Do you know if my LORs from this year will hold for next year's application cycle? I recently graduated in May so if I apply for the 19 cycle I'll have only been out of school 1.5 years
The LOR's will still be good.

If you will have the rest of your app ready after the December test, and you have some funds available, it wouldn't be an awful idea to throw some apps in this cycle and see what happens. It's going to be incredibly unpredictable since this is the first full cycle after the 3-LSAT/2 year limit removal. Likely going to see an upswing in high LSAT scores being reported due to retakers. With that being said, if you don't get accepted or you don't get the scholarship money necessary you could always wait until 19. But you'll never know if you don't try!

I'm also shit tier GPA (sub 3.0), so I'm in the same struggle bus as you are. I still have hope for a T14 hail mary this cycle despite the uphill battle we face. Just gotta kill the LSAT!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”