The Official December 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

We all want a 180. What's the lowest score you'll take?

Sub 160
4%
160-163
10%
164-167
22%
167-169
16%
12%
171-172
10%
172-174
8%
8%
176-179
4%
6%

Total votes: 118

abujabal

Bronze

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Post by abujabal » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:07 am

Pre-emptive check-in. Hoping to back out on October 12, but figure I'd put myself down depending on what happens on the 16th.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:20 pm

presidentspivey wrote:Checking in because I already know I'll be bombing the September test.
+1 for me.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:23 pm

hushpuppy wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:
hushpuppy wrote:Hi there.

Dumb, naive question alert:

If scores are released January 4 2018, won't that make our apps late?

That is, if we wait until we get our scores to apply?

Honestly it depends on the person, their application/goal schools/etc. For someone who's above median or 75th's it's probably less of an issue. If you're a splitter, like me, than it could make things more difficult if you're not aiming to get past the 75th% of the schools you're applying to. At that point, especially if it's the 1st time you're taking the test, you might be better off delaying a cycle.
Hey, thanks. Sigh. I feel like if I miss this cycle I suck at life. I already delayed last year. If I apply next year I'll be enrolling at age 27! Is that too old. :cry: I'm going to really shoot for Dec and if I blow it I blow it. I'd then take June 2018 I guess ...
I will be 27 by the time classes start in '18. Thank's for the subtle jab of calling me old. And for saying I suck at life. :mrgreen:

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:25 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:Not taking in December but I'm here for the shitposting. June thread got to 168 pages and I scored a 168. Coincidence? Absolutely not.
September group is at 303.. does that mean I have a chance at breaking 172?!

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:50 pm

twiix wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:Not taking in December but I'm here for the shitposting. June thread got to 168 pages and I scored a 168. Coincidence? Absolutely not.
September group is at 303.. does that mean I have a chance at breaking 172?!
Well at this point you guys have to get double your score's worth in pages. If you want 172, you're gonna have to get to 344.

Edit: Don't say it isn't fair. If a pilot overshoots the runway you have to fly a longer distance before you can land.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NeverOrNow

New

Post by NeverOrNow » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:53 pm

As one of the June Lurkers "Hi"

I'm planning on taking it in Sept. If I have to take Dec. I might for real cry.

I am also comparatively old. I turn 37 in Sept.

LR was my nemesis in June. It's usually not but it's why I'm retaking.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:54 pm

id probs hurt myself if i was having to prep 5 months in advance again. good luck folks

Asst2theRegManager

New

Post by Asst2theRegManager » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:48 pm

Lurker here checking in. Is this ample enough time to study and be ready by the December LSAT? Either way, I'm shooting for the Fall 2019 cycle. Just anxious I guess.

presidentspivey

Bronze

Post by presidentspivey » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:29 pm

Asst2theRegManager wrote:Lurker here checking in. Is this ample enough time to study and be ready by the December LSAT? Either way, I'm shooting for the Fall 2019 cycle. Just anxious I guess.
Oh yeah, you've got plenty of time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:45 pm

Agreed, plenty of time. A lot of people start with only 2ish months before a test via the prep course they sign up for. You've got double the time which is good.

detwings123

New

Post by detwings123 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:38 am

What kind of timeline would there be if we are taking for the first time in December and trying to attend in fall 2018. I know many say that it is an advantage for splitters to apply early. I'm at a 3.5, which is on the border of what I consider a splitter to be but not very sure if that is an accurate definition of a splitter. Would having my app finished besides the score and sent to schools without the score be the best plan of action?

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:55 am

Last edited by littlewing67 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:17 pm

detwings123 wrote:What kind of timeline would there be if we are taking for the first time in December and trying to attend in fall 2018. I know many say that it is an advantage for splitters to apply early. I'm at a 3.5, which is on the border of what I consider a splitter to be but not very sure if that is an accurate definition of a splitter. Would having my app finished besides the score and sent to schools without the score be the best plan of action?
I can't advise on when to send the app.

My personal thought is that you're taking a big risk with applying for Fall 18 with Dec being your first test. Not to be negative or scare you, but if you don't preform to where you want what are you going to do? Retake in Feb or delay a year? If you apply before scores are out, the schools will have your apps and I'm not sure how favorable they look at things if you decide to withdraw or are forced to the next cycle and use the same stuff so you might have to redo all the essays again.

What's your motivation for fall 18? Right now, if I were in your shoes I would consider delaying my cycle and focus on getting the score then the apps.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:05 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

detwings123

New

Post by detwings123 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:33 am

Experiment626 wrote:
detwings123 wrote:What kind of timeline would there be if we are taking for the first time in December and trying to attend in fall 2018. I know many say that it is an advantage for splitters to apply early. I'm at a 3.5, which is on the border of what I consider a splitter to be but not very sure if that is an accurate definition of a splitter. Would having my app finished besides the score and sent to schools without the score be the best plan of action?
I can't advise on when to send the app.

My personal thought is that you're taking a big risk with applying for Fall 18 with Dec being your first test. Not to be negative or scare you, but if you don't preform to where you want what are you going to do? Retake in Feb or delay a year? If you apply before scores are out, the schools will have your apps and I'm not sure how favorable they look at things if you decide to withdraw or are forced to the next cycle and use the same stuff so you might have to redo all the essays again.

What's your motivation for fall 18? Right now, if I were in your shoes I would consider delaying my cycle and focus on getting the score then the apps.
Yeah I can see where where delaying would be an option and probably a good choice, but I think I'm most likely going to take in September and then December will most likely be my retake no matter what just because it will be free with signing up for October pilot test. I think the reasoning behind wanting to go for Fall 2018 is because I promised myself one gap year and any more I do not think would really improve my outcome. I believe I'm ready for September, but my standardized testing has always improved with multiple takes so I am fully committed to taking in December as well.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:31 am

detwings123 wrote: Yeah I can see where where delaying would be an option and probably a good choice, but I think I'm most likely going to take in September and then December will most likely be my retake no matter what just because it will be free with signing up for October pilot test. I think the reasoning behind wanting to go for Fall 2018 is because I promised myself one gap year and any more I do not think would really improve my outcome. I believe I'm ready for September, but my standardized testing has always improved with multiple takes so I am fully committed to taking in December as well.
So, without knowing more about your background, I will share that most of the schools at the LSAC Forum yesterday gave similar advice regarding application submission timing. They encourage everyone to apply early because the earlier you apply, the more spots there are, especially if you're below the median in one aspect. Applying in December might get you wait listed this year but applying on day one next year would result in an acceptance. Obviously we have no way of knowing for sure but it is something to consider. I would also reach out to the schools you're planning on applying to in order to find out what their preference is on application timing. Georgetown, for example, told me to put in my application as early as possible and write on it hold for December test results. This was is because once my score is done, they'll look at my application before applications received after mine. Kinda a hold your spot in line so you're looked at as soon as possible once your packet is fully complete.

Since you're taking in Sept, you might not need to take in December depending on your results, hope that's the case for you. But if you're retaking in December, it might be something to consider depending on your individual stats. I know that I am really thinking it over...

detwings123

New

Post by detwings123 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:53 am

Experiment626 wrote:
detwings123 wrote: Yeah I can see where where delaying would be an option and probably a good choice, but I think I'm most likely going to take in September and then December will most likely be my retake no matter what just because it will be free with signing up for October pilot test. I think the reasoning behind wanting to go for Fall 2018 is because I promised myself one gap year and any more I do not think would really improve my outcome. I believe I'm ready for September, but my standardized testing has always improved with multiple takes so I am fully committed to taking in December as well.
So, without knowing more about your background, I will share that most of the schools at the LSAC Forum yesterday gave similar advice regarding application submission timing. They encourage everyone to apply early because the earlier you apply, the more spots there are, especially if you're below the median in one aspect. Applying in December might get you wait listed this year but applying on day one next year would result in an acceptance. Obviously we have no way of knowing for sure but it is something to consider. I would also reach out to the schools you're planning on applying to in order to find out what their preference is on application timing. Georgetown, for example, told me to put in my application as early as possible and write on it hold for December test results. This was is because once my score is done, they'll look at my application before applications received after mine. Kinda a hold your spot in line so you're looked at as soon as possible once your packet is fully complete.

Since you're taking in Sept, you might not need to take in December depending on your results, hope that's the case for you. But if you're retaking in December, it might be something to consider depending on your individual stats. I know that I am really thinking it over...
Yeah I was reading a little more on the topic and it seems you have to do a bit of research on each school's policy regarding whether they will delay a decision. My situation is that with a 3.5 I feel like I need to get that 170 to give myself a good shot in the t14. Whether that score comes in September or December idk, but I feel with studying through the September test to December I have a very good chance. I would say that being from the metro Detroit area and wanting to come back here that michigan is number 1 on my list with Notre Dame being a close second. I've read that Michigan will not delay a decision no matter what, but will receive the retake score and can make another decision with new information coming in.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:18 pm

Checking in. Fresh back from a vacation in Europe and realizing I have four months left to study :| Cold diagnostic back in May was a 153. I probably got in the equivalent of a month, maybe a month in a half worth of studying in before my 10 day trip where I did not even think about the LSAT. Would like to attend Vandy, will obviously go to a better school if the scholarships/whatever make it worthwhile. GPA is a 3.5. By this time next summer I'll have had 2 years of experience at a big law firm working as a lobbyist.

Anyone else in here planning on taking it in Dec. then applying right after to attend in the Fall of 2018? How reasonable does my plan/timetable sound to everyone, realistically? I think a 168+ will put me in an okay position (and yes, I know, aim for the highest score possible. I am.).

Anyway, let's do this peeps.

detwings123

New

Post by detwings123 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:40 pm

King of the North wrote:Checking in. Fresh back from a vacation in Europe and realizing I have four months left to study :| Cold diagnostic back in May was a 153. I probably got in the equivalent of a month, maybe a month in a half worth of studying in before my 10 day trip where I did not even think about the LSAT. Would like to attend Vandy, will obviously go to a better school if the scholarships/whatever make it worthwhile. GPA is a 3.5. By this time next summer I'll have had 2 years of experience at a big law firm working as a lobbyist.

Anyone else in here planning on taking it in Dec. then applying right after to attend in the Fall of 2018? How reasonable does my plan/timetable sound to everyone, realistically? I think a 168+ will put me in an okay position (and yes, I know, aim for the highest score possible. I am.).

I have a very similar GPA and definitely want to attend in fall of 2018, but like some have said on here for people with our GPA we may have a better outcome applying to the next cycle from the very start. I'm still leaning towards attending in 2018 and trying to get that 168+ to get some acceptances in the t-14 and money from the schools below that but it does feel like a disadvantage applying later in the cycle. I'm just not sure how big of a disadvantage it will be considering a 3.5 doesn't really classify us as a splitter.

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:18 pm

detwings123 wrote:
King of the North wrote:Checking in. Fresh back from a vacation in Europe and realizing I have four months left to study :| Cold diagnostic back in May was a 153. I probably got in the equivalent of a month, maybe a month in a half worth of studying in before my 10 day trip where I did not even think about the LSAT. Would like to attend Vandy, will obviously go to a better school if the scholarships/whatever make it worthwhile. GPA is a 3.5. By this time next summer I'll have had 2 years of experience at a big law firm working as a lobbyist.

I have a very similar GPA and definitely want to attend in fall of 2018, but like some have said on here for people with our GPA we may have a better outcome applying to the next cycle from the very start. I'm still leaning towards attending in 2018 and trying to get that 168+ to get some acceptances in the t-14 and money from the schools below that but it does feel like a disadvantage applying later in the cycle. I'm just not sure how big of a disadvantage it will be considering a 3.5 doesn't really classify us as a splitter.
I really, really do not want to wait another year. It's just not acceptable for me. 3.5 is in the bottom 25 percentile for Vandy-that I know for sure-but I really do think a 170 would give me a good chance of getting in. With some money.

patterak

New

Post by patterak » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:31 pm

I've come to terms with the fact that the September test is going to be entirely disappointing on my end, so I know I'm retesting in December. While my RC doesn't need a lot of improvement, my LG need some shoring up, and my LR is strangely awful. Going to start taking practice tests like they're going out of style and actually paying attention to the things I read about in the PS.

****I signed up to take the run of the digital format (FREE), so I not only get a practice test (no real score, but they tell you how you did in each section), but also a REFUND for the December test in the form of a check. This isn't a bad deal in my book.****

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:36 pm

King of the North wrote:
detwings123 wrote:

I really, really do not want to wait another year. It's just not acceptable for me. 3.5 is in the bottom 25 percentile for Vandy-that I know for sure-but I really do think a 170 would give me a good chance of getting in. With some money.
Unless you have absolutely nonexistent softs (which is clearly not the case if you have 2 years of big law experience), you'll get into Vandy with a 170/3.5 even if you apply in January

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:42 pm

MercW07 wrote:
King of the North wrote:
detwings123 wrote:

Unless you have absolutely nonexistent softs (which is clearly not the case if you have 2 years of big law experience), you'll get into Vandy with a 170/3.5 even if you apply in January
That's how I feel about it too. I mean, I already have in mind an idea for a PS topic. I think I have a fairly colorful resume, which includes work experience, education/extracurriculars, and volunteering. And I consider myself a pretty good writer, so I'll make all these things look great when I apply them.

detwings123

New

Post by detwings123 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:53 pm

patterak wrote:I've come to terms with the fact that the September test is going to be entirely disappointing on my end, so I know I'm retesting in December. While my RC doesn't need a lot of improvement, my LG need some shoring up, and my LR is strangely awful. Going to start taking practice tests like they're going out of style and actually paying attention to the things I read about in the PS.

****I signed up to take the run of the digital format (FREE), so I not only get a practice test (no real score, but they tell you how you did in each section), but also a REFUND for the December test in the form of a check. This isn't a bad deal in my book.****
Yeah we are in the same boat lol. For some reason I'm the exact opposite with my strengths though! For LR I only seem to miss a few questions, but my LG skills are just not there yet. I eventually get the questions right, but nowhere near the target time for each game. I have yet to even touch RC as I've read that the trainer has a better strategy than 7Sage's memory method. What strategy do you use and what is the best way to get better in that section?

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:14 am

MercW07 wrote:
King of the North wrote:
detwings123 wrote:

I was the one that mentioned timing. Please remember it was a general comment that depends on what your whole package looks like. I would really encourage you to talk to the admissions office to get a better idea. I know that Georgetown told me that if you have something below the median, the sooner the better. They also encouraged me to put in my application itself as early as possible with a note to hold for the December LSAT. That way my "spot" in line for review is as close to the front as possible when December scores are released, i.e. If I apply Oct 1 and someone applies Jan 4th after they get their score, I'll be looked at before anyone else who applies between us. Each school is different on this so check with each one to figure out best strategy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”