The Official December 2017 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

We all want a 180. What's the lowest score you'll take?

Sub 160
4%
160-163
10%
164-167
22%
167-169
16%
12%
171-172
10%
172-174
8%
8%
176-179
4%
6%

Total votes: 118

lsattaker123

New

Re: The Official December 2017 Study Group

Post by lsattaker123 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:17 am

[spam]
[banned]

doglawin

New

Post by doglawin » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:06 pm

twiix wrote:
doglawin wrote:
digitality wrote:
doglawin wrote:Hi team, checking in!

So I've yet to take the LSAT. I started studying in June and despite having a full time job, I've been able to study well and improve my score 165-167 (though I haven't finished my PS LG studies).

I'm a bit confused and maybe one of you can help me. My uGPA is unfortunately mediocre, I went to a few schools and failed out of the first one. However, my GPA saw a major improvement at the school I graduated from, even though I had an internship and an assistant research position my senior year. I've spoken to two professors who have assured me strong LOR's. The confusion lies in my application timeline, I want to take the December test to ensure a 170+, hopefully that will make up for my 2.7 uGPA. But I've heard that even with a brilliant score I shouldn't apply until the 2019 cycle, rather than the 18 cycle. The reasoning is that I won't be able to submit my application until late December and that'll hurt my chances as a splitter. What do you think?

Thanks,
DogLawvin'
i don't know a whole lot, but i do know that admissions at most places are rolling, so submitting that late in the game really puts you behind the eight ball. even with a killer LSAT, i'm sure that GPA will turn some heads, so your safest bet probably is waiting for 19.

thanks! As much as I don't want to wait another year, I'm probably going to have to hold off. I do have a good job though. Do you know if my LORs from this year will hold for next year's application cycle? I recently graduated in May so if I apply for the 19 cycle I'll have only been out of school 1.5 years
The LOR's will still be good.

If you will have the rest of your app ready after the December test, and you have some funds available, it wouldn't be an awful idea to throw some apps in this cycle and see what happens. It's going to be incredibly unpredictable since this is the first full cycle after the 3-LSAT/2 year limit removal. Likely going to see an upswing in high LSAT scores being reported due to retakers. With that being said, if you don't get accepted or you don't get the scholarship money necessary you could always wait until 19. But you'll never know if you don't try!

I'm also shit tier GPA (sub 3.0), so I'm in the same struggle bus as you are. I still have hope for a T14 hail mary this cycle despite the uphill battle we face. Just gotta kill the LSAT!
Preciate the encouragement!

All these changes-- the removal of LSAT caps, schools taking GRE's-- really worry me as a (potential) super splitter.

But if we're talking about killing, then let's talk about murdering the exam! If you're taking the December good luck! I'm sure we'll keep up with everyone's progress

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:08 am

You realize how illegal this is, right?

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:10 am

doglawin wrote:
twiix wrote:
doglawin wrote:
digitality wrote:
doglawin wrote:Hi team, checking in!

So I've yet to take the LSAT. I started studying in June and despite having a full time job, I've been able to study well and improve my score 165-167 (though I haven't finished my PS LG studies).

I'm a bit confused and maybe one of you can help me. My uGPA is unfortunately mediocre, I went to a few schools and failed out of the first one. However, my GPA saw a major improvement at the school I graduated from, even though I had an internship and an assistant research position my senior year. I've spoken to two professors who have assured me strong LOR's. The confusion lies in my application timeline, I want to take the December test to ensure a 170+, hopefully that will make up for my 2.7 uGPA. But I've heard that even with a brilliant score I shouldn't apply until the 2019 cycle, rather than the 18 cycle. The reasoning is that I won't be able to submit my application until late December and that'll hurt my chances as a splitter. What do you think?

Thanks,
DogLawvin'
i don't know a whole lot, but i do know that admissions at most places are rolling, so submitting that late in the game really puts you behind the eight ball. even with a killer LSAT, i'm sure that GPA will turn some heads, so your safest bet probably is waiting for 19.

thanks! As much as I don't want to wait another year, I'm probably going to have to hold off. I do have a good job though. Do you know if my LORs from this year will hold for next year's application cycle? I recently graduated in May so if I apply for the 19 cycle I'll have only been out of school 1.5 years
The LOR's will still be good.

If you will have the rest of your app ready after the December test, and you have some funds available, it wouldn't be an awful idea to throw some apps in this cycle and see what happens. It's going to be incredibly unpredictable since this is the first full cycle after the 3-LSAT/2 year limit removal. Likely going to see an upswing in high LSAT scores being reported due to retakers. With that being said, if you don't get accepted or you don't get the scholarship money necessary you could always wait until 19. But you'll never know if you don't try!

I'm also shit tier GPA (sub 3.0), so I'm in the same struggle bus as you are. I still have hope for a T14 hail mary this cycle despite the uphill battle we face. Just gotta kill the LSAT!
Preciate the encouragement!

All these changes-- the removal of LSAT caps, schools taking GRE's-- really worry me as a (potential) super splitter.

But if we're talking about killing, then let's talk about murdering the exam! If you're taking the December good luck! I'm sure we'll keep up with everyone's progress
I'm scheduled for September atm but I don't think I'll be able to get to the 172+ range like I was planning on originally by then. Still have a long way to go in RC to get my score down.. I've brought it down from -8 to about -5, but still need to pick up some more points that I always fuck up (the first RC passage MP q always wrecks me for some reason).

Also some more consistency with LR is needed. I can go -1/-2 on some passages and then I'll have a -8 randomly in the mix. dafuq

Plenty of time until December, however!

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:33 am

Yeahhhhh, this is illegal. And even if you are somehow doing this legally, please don't post your advertisements in this thread. It is 100% not what it is for.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ymmv

Diamond

ymmv has moved on to greener pastures.

Post by ymmv » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:48 am

ymmv has moved on to greener pastures.

Csupo

New

Post by Csupo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:22 pm

So I'm looking at the LSAC page for the December 2017 LSAT: https://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/test-dates ... canada-dec

It says the score release date (approximate) would be Jan 4, 2018. Is this normal? That's more than a month after the exam, lol?

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:46 pm

Csupo wrote:So I'm looking at the LSAC page for the December 2017 LSAT: https://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/test-dates ... canada-dec

It says the score release date (approximate) would be Jan 4, 2018. Is this normal? That's more than a month after the exam, lol?
Yes that's normal. Scores typically come out a few days before the specified date though. But yes, that amount of time waiting is normal.

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:18 am

Csupo wrote:So I'm looking at the LSAC page for the December 2017 LSAT: https://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/test-dates ... canada-dec

Yep, totally normal. They would probably come out a few days earlier if the holiday season did't fall when it does, but around a month is typical with regards to LSAT score waiting time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Deputy Downer

New

Post by Deputy Downer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:53 pm

Checking in.

Finally going to retake the LSAT and apply to law school after a couple of years of threatening to; decided to skip September because I've been not studying all summer. Here's hoping for a good enough score to make applying towards the end of this cycle a possibility.

Best of luck everyone.

LawEngr

New

Post by LawEngr » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:06 pm

Getting ready for a career change from Engineering to Law. Didnt do so well on my Diagnostic with a 144 but aiming for a 168 by the time December rolls around. Enrolled in Powerscore full length course and got the Bibles as study aid.

Any advice on how to improve on Logical reasoning? Powerscore bibles seem too pedantic.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:14 pm

LawEngr wrote:Getting ready for a career change from Engineering to Law. Didnt do so well on my Diagnostic with a 144 but aiming for a 168 by the time December rolls around. Enrolled in Powerscore full length course and got the Bibles as study aid.

Any advice on how to improve on Logical reasoning? Powerscore bibles seem too pedantic.
Learn the foundation. If you don't like PS then look for another resource. A lot of people use the LSAT trainer. As you drill put it in a tracker like the 7sage analytics so that you can see which questions you're messing up, the type, and accuracy rate for each type of question. You can analyze across all data or just the most recent X PTs to see the change. It's great because they give you a priority based on the question type and the likelihood it'll be on the test. i.e. if you're at 50% accuracy at a question type that will probably consist of 7 question on the test, it'll tell you that one is a higher priority question type to fix versus another question type that you have 50% accuracy but will probably only appear 2x in the test.

LawEngr

New

Post by LawEngr » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:21 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
LawEngr wrote:Getting ready for a career change from Engineering to Law. Didnt do so well on my Diagnostic with a 144 but aiming for a 168 by the time December rolls around. Enrolled in Powerscore full length course and got the Bibles as study aid.

Learn the foundation. If you don't like PS then look for another resource. A lot of people use the LSAT trainer. As you drill put it in a tracker like the 7sage analytics so that you can see which questions you're messing up, the type, and accuracy rate for each type of question. You can analyze across all data or just the most recent X PTs to see the change. It's great because they give you a priority based on the question type and the likelihood it'll be on the test. i.e. if you're at 50% accuracy at a question type that will probably consist of 7 question on the test, it'll tell you that one is a higher priority question type to fix versus another question type that you have 50% accuracy but will probably only appear 2x in the test.

Thanks! I already started using the 7Sage LG video review and now Im going to use the Analytics too. My plan is to try and do every single logic game since 1991 in the next few weeks while building the foundations of LR through powerscore and 7Sage analytics.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LawEngr

New

Post by LawEngr » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:13 am

I am having some trouble with Weaken questions. I can trim down the answer choices down to 2 or 3 contenders, but I often select the wrong answer. The issue I am having is tying back the new information presented in the answer choices to the stimulus. I am using Powerscore bible and have gone through it once but still making repeated mistakes. Whats the most effective way to tackle Weaken questions?

InnocentKittenz

New

Post by InnocentKittenz » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:11 am

Hey folks,

Plan on making the December test my first go at the LSAT. I'm a Canadian aiming to apply to schools this upcoming cycle.

I originally planned on taking the September 2016 test (and apply during my final year of university) however I dicked around and barely studied. Realized I really needed a year off from school just to take a breather and just focus on the LSAT and work to save up some money. Couldn't make September 2017 work because of a pretty chaotic summer and a big move.

I'm living in a city away from my close friends and some family so I won't be as distracted and have started regaining motivation to actually study for this thing, as going to law school has been a goal of mine for around 3 years or so. I've slowly started compiling a schedule and routine so that I can spend considerable time feeling prepared. Goal would be to get a 165 as that would likely get me into some of my desired schools, however I'll be aiming to get as high as possible of course.

I have all the PS bibles and quite a few prep tests as of now but I'm waiting for the LSAT trainer to come in and plan on getting the beginner level 7sage program to help give me a schedule to follow and have some in depth explanations for some questions (I'd really appreciate some reviews on this and how people have found the 7sage program of all levels, just for curiosity sake). I plan on officially studying starting next week and will be in slight overdrive mode as I know of 2 weeks between now and the test where I'll be able to squeeze in little studying.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated as I've been reading up on a load of advice for the LSAT and it can be a little overwhelming at times for what methods to follow when studying, reviewing, prepping etc.

Really hope to get a solid core of regulars in this thread so we can all follow each others progress and talk about what is and isn't working, how we're doing and all that fun stuff. Should be a fun next few months!

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:40 am

LawEngr wrote:I am having some trouble with Weaken questions. I can trim down the answer choices down to 2 or 3 contenders, but I often select the wrong answer. The issue I am having is tying back the new information presented in the answer choices to the stimulus. I am using Powerscore bible and have gone through it once but still making repeated mistakes. Whats the most effective way to tackle Weaken questions?
A lot of incorrect answer choices will incorrectly attack solely the premise(s) or the conclusion(s). You want to accept the fact that the premises given are true and factual. You want to find a way to conclude that, if these premises are true, there is no way the conclusion can follow from the given information. Really focus on answer choices that ruin the argument; the bridge that connects the premises to the conclusion.

The same (opposite) goes for strengthening questions too, so you should see some correlation between your success with the two types. Some others might have more detailed recommendations, but when I really started focusing on the relationship between the P/C, is when I started seeing more gains in weaken/strengthen Q types. I also haven’t used the powerscore LR bible, so maybe they teach it a different way all together.

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:28 am

Anyone know when the next 10 Actual Book will be available? I know were due for another one this year, but Im just hoping it will be out soon so I can make my way through it before December.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

InnocentKittenz

New

Post by InnocentKittenz » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:35 pm

MercW07 wrote:Anyone know when the next 10 Actual Book will be available? I know were due for another one this year, but Im just hoping it will be out soon so I can make my way through it before December.
I think it's coming out in October, I preordered it.

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:22 pm

InnocentKittenz wrote:
MercW07 wrote:Anyone know when the next 10 Actual Book will be available? I know were due for another one this year, but Im just hoping it will be out soon so I can make my way through it before December.
Where were you able to preorder?

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:13 pm

Lol I'm more focused on this test than the Sept one

InnocentKittenz

New

Post by InnocentKittenz » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:53 pm

MercW07 wrote:
InnocentKittenz wrote:
Where were you able to preorder?
Amazon

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:23 am

*bumping*

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:57 pm

Im sure this thread is going to blow up after the September LSAT, but for now...crickets

blerggggg

New

Post by blerggggg » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:09 pm

Checking in! Lol I delayed the June and September test so it's do or die at this point. Paid for the December test yesterday so we're officially on course.

Also taking the unofficial/digital version in October. Hoping it'll give me a lot of insight into what I'll need to fix for December. If you guys haven't signed up for this, I encourage you too! LSAC will fully fund an official test if you take the digital in October.

I'm also lowkey worried because in the back of my mind I'm thinking I could always reapply next year, I'm only one year out of college and my firm offered a third year as a paralegal. But it's such a mental crutch, causing me to slack quite a bit. I just need that final push to make me jump into high gear. Hoping that once the calendar hits September that'll happen. UGH.

greatspirit

Bronze

Post by greatspirit » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:19 am

Checking in!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”