June Retakers Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What is the best Slack emoji?

Party parrot
6%
Party parrot with wine
28%
Party Testy
33%
:180:
17%
:179:
No votes
Unicorn poo
6%
Cripple 626
11%

Total votes: 18

Walliums

Silver

Re: Interest in a June retakers study group?

Post by Walliums » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:12 pm

Heyooo figured out the poll thing!

DaydreamNation

Bronze

Post by DaydreamNation » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:13 pm

Ntp73821 wrote: You should watch 7sage videos because they're amazing.
I used the Bible and I didn't like it so much, I found its methods much more confusing than the methods used by 7sage. I just ordered the Trainer and it's coming Saturday.
I've watched 7sage videos some but his method seems a bit incompatible with Mike's in the trainer because Mike is so anti-memorization, and 7sage LG from what I gather hammers in memorizing common key inferences

Mouth

New

Post by Mouth » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:17 pm

Looking for a 173+... please baby Jesus, lying there in your...your little ghost manger, lookin' at your Baby Einstein developmental...videos, learnin' 'bout shapes and colors...

kace3030

New

Post by kace3030 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:23 pm

I think the most frustrating thing is friends/family not understanding why I'm frustrated. They hear 166/over 90th percentile and don't get why I need to retake. Well, that and my uncharacteristic performance (-5) on such an easy LG (leading up to the test I did all the most recent and consistently went -0/-1). I think right now I'm going to chalk that up to nerves or being distracted by some stuff that happened in my life the week before the test. I was pretty consistent at 171/172 leading up, and I hit 170 after about a month of studying and getting LG (started with diagnostic 164).

LR was by far my weakest (-8) and it always has been, but recently I'd been getting max -3, so the whole test really seems like a giant fluke for me, and my mistakes seem really stupid and all over the place (no specific type or anything)

I've studied mainly Trainer/Manhattan with I think every PT 40 and up, with 7sage videos for LG. I'm wondering if maybe I should look into powerscore for LR, since that's really the area I've plateaued in. Or maybe just go through the trainer again. Anyone have any thoughts on good stuff for LR I'm not mentioning?

DowsingForAJD

New

Post by DowsingForAJD » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:32 pm

Last edited by DowsingForAJD on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:35 pm

kace3030 wrote: LR was by far my weakest and it always has been, but recently I'd been getting max -3, so the whole test really seems like a giant fluke for me, and my mistakes seem really stupid and all over the place (no specific type or anything)

I've studied mainly Trainer/Manhattan with I think every PT 40 and up, with 7sage videos for LG. I'm wondering if maybe I should look into powerscore for LR, since that's really the area I've plateaued in. Or maybe just go through the trainer again. Anyone have any thoughts on good stuff for LR I'm not mentioning?
I'm in the same place as you. I did really well on LG and RC and just bombed LR. I had used 7Sage and the Trainer previously -- I've gone ahead and bought Manhattan. I think my issues mostly come with stress under timing. I'm going to spend the next few weeks going over LR - doing untimed drills, then timed sections, then shortening the sections to 30 min or less. I am also going to start filming myself during LR so I can see how long certain questions are taking me/where I get stuck. My biggest problem I think in studying previously was review. It's really hard to remember where you got stuck because sometimes you don't even register it. I'm hoping that recording it and tracking how long it takes me in LR sections will really help.

solidarity4ever

New

Re: June Retakers Study Group

Post by solidarity4ever » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:52 pm

I've been lurking for a while and decided to join when I saw this thread. My PT average was a 169 and I got a 166 on this LSAT. A little disappointed and definitely want to bring it up at least 3 points so I can potentially get some $$$ at target schools. LR is my nemesis!

edit: also--yes, I signed up to retake in September. Woo.
Last edited by solidarity4ever on Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:53 pm

So, after weighing everything and getting advice from my mentor I'm going to sit for December. I don't think I'll be able to make the improvements needed by September and don't want to rush it. But I'll be studying starting next week so I would love to be in on this and glean whatever I can from you guys, and share anything I may have, if that's possible...

Ntp73821

Silver

Post by Ntp73821 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:59 pm

vtdelt wrote:So, after weighing everything and getting advice from my mentor I'm going to sit for December. I don't think I'll be able to make the improvements needed by September and don't want to rush it. But I'll be studying starting next week so I would love to be in on this and glean whatever I can from you guys, and share anything I may have, if that's possible...
Yes! You better stay and study with us! :)
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:00 pm

vtdelt wrote:So, after weighing everything and getting advice from my mentor I'm going to sit for December. I don't think I'll be able to make the improvements needed by September and don't want to rush it. But I'll be studying starting next week so I would love to be in on this and glean whatever I can from you guys, and share anything I may have, if that's possible...
You do you! And you are more than welcome to join whatever we end up putting together.

das_Gesetz

New

Post by das_Gesetz » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:04 pm

Sounds like a good idea. I averaged 173 on my prep tests but somehow received a 169 on the June exam - hoping for a drastic improvement come September.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:05 pm

Ntp73821 wrote:
Yes! You better stay and study with us! :)
Walliums wrote:You do you! And you are more than welcome to join whatever we end up putting together.
Awww you guys. I feel so loved right now. :oops: :oops: :oops: God knows I need ya'll to help motivate me because my prep class group was not doing it.

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:06 pm

So definitely want to hear everyone's input on how we can all study together. I've just been recording what PTs I've done and how long ago and what is still "clean." For myself my rough study plan is to focus on LR - mainly doing untimed drills/a few untimed sections the first week, then moving on to timed LR sections. I think I'm going to give myself a few weeks before heading into full PTs again but we'll see.

But I'm assuming that people would be okay with actually getting together and meeting (probably virtually, though if anyone is in my area I don't have any problems meeting up). We could do a phone/conference call, or find a group chat. But I figure a good format is to pick a section (like PT 35 RC), everyone take it, and then flag questions ahead of time so we're being efficient. Or you could do the same if you just want to discuss LR/RC/LG overall - could do a chat/call where folks ask questions about strategy and others can share how they improved or what materials they used.

Thoughts? Other suggestions?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

181plz

Bronze

Post by 181plz » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:10 pm

solidarity4ever

New

Post by solidarity4ever » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:14 pm

Walliums wrote:So definitely want to hear everyone's input on how we can all study together. I've just been recording what PTs I've done and how long ago and what is still "clean." For myself my rough study plan is to focus on LR - mainly doing untimed drills/a few untimed sections the first week, then moving on to timed LR sections. I think I'm going to give myself a few weeks before heading into full PTs again but we'll see.

But I'm assuming that people would be okay with actually getting together and meeting (probably virtually, though if anyone is in my area I don't have any problems meeting up). We could do a phone/conference call, or find a group chat. But I figure a good format is to pick a section (like PT 35 RC), everyone take it, and then flag questions ahead of time so we're being efficient. Or you could do the same if you just want to discuss LR/RC/LG overall - could do a chat/call where folks ask questions about strategy and others can share how they improved or what materials they used.

This seems like a good idea. It'd probably give people the best chance to zero in on really specific questions/issues. Before the June LSAT, I did some virtual reviews of entire PTs, which was useful, but it always felt like too much to cover in the hour or so that everyone was available. The general chat on strategy sounds good, too, as a supplemental thing.

Ntp73821

Silver

Post by Ntp73821 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:18 pm

Walliums wrote:So definitely want to hear everyone's input on how we can all study together. I've just been recording what PTs I've done and how long ago and what is still "clean." For myself my rough study plan is to focus on LR - mainly doing untimed drills/a few untimed sections the first week, then moving on to timed LR sections. I think I'm going to give myself a few weeks before heading into full PTs again but we'll see.

If you want a group chat, we could make a GroupMe to discuss?
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:25 pm

Probably could organize a google hangout to do this.

I'm going to be working through the trainer. I'm not sure if I should do the 8/12 option, will try to figure that out. It's really hard since I haven't done it yet but have enough of the basics from my previous prep so I'm not sure if I should focus on getting through the material as fast as possible and seeing what I want to add into my arsenal then spend the rest of the time fine tuning it or taking more time and maybe even do only the trainer approach over drilling and see what I like better then use the last month and change to perfect my own way between all the methods from prep class, Trainer, and Bibles. I got through about 1/2 of each of them. Think I might use the Bibles to look up their strategy on the question types I'm weakest on for ways to improve.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

UCLAcal

New

Post by UCLAcal » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:26 pm

I'm ready!

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:38 pm

solidarity4ever wrote:

This seems like a good idea. It'd probably give people the best chance to zero in on really specific questions/issues. Before the June LSAT, I did some virtual reviews of entire PTs, which was useful, but it always felt like too much to cover in the hour or so that everyone was available. The general chat on strategy sounds good, too, as a supplemental thing.
Agree!

UCLAcal

New

Post by UCLAcal » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:39 pm

Just signed up for September. I'll be mostly doing LR sections everyday. First I'll do untimed, then timed, then as test day gets nearer, I'll be taking PTs

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:47 pm

I just ordered the Trainer and the Superprep to get started. Planning on taking my planned vacation next week, then coming back and putting in 3/4 hours a day on this until September, really focusing on LG and RC.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Post by tuna_wasabi » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:07 pm

dm1683 wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Not retaking but I offer you my shitposts/shitadvice
This. Since I have no life during the summer I can "contribute" some "knowledge."
Thanks madam and sir :D Checking in for September retake!

daredevil8

New

Post by daredevil8 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:10 am

After averaging 174 on the last 15 PTs I took leading up to the test, I ended up getting a 166. Definitely disappointed and looking to improve for the September test. I need to get my LR and RC to be a bit more consistent. I have already done the Powerscore LG Bible, Manhattan LR + RC books and the LSAT Trainer. I saw the biggest jump in my scores after doing the Trainer. How helpful would the basic 7sage package be for RC and LR? I am debating whether to get that or continue drilling + PT but with this time adding blind review.

bleedingcard

New

Post by bleedingcard » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:15 am

I think this is the right move. I'm going to be doing the same thing with this. I have about 10 fresh PT's, so I am going to save those for actual practices and BR, but I am going to use all of the other tests to do your progression for LR. I think it will actually be helpful drilling by section, rather than question type like I did the first time because then I won't get into a mindless routine of already knowing what to look for in the stimulus. I think doing it by question type is beneficial the first time around to get the patterns down, but the next step is to be able to switch back and forth between types seamlessly. By seeing the question types all mixed up, I will be forced to adapt my focus in the stimulus to whatever the pertinent question stem is. I also didn't do a great job prepping for RC. I just crammed that in the last week or two before the test, but I understand that many of the types of questions follow a fairly discernable pattern. So, I'll also use the same approach I am using for LR for RC, and I think that will help a lot. I am always flawless on LG, even during the tough ones like dinosaurs, stained glass windows, and viruses, so I should be fine there by just doing general brushing up to just stay sharp.

jgs

New

Post by jgs » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:20 am

Long time lurker on the waiters thread. Im a reverse splitter (got a 164 for this June's test) so I'll be retaking in September to hopefully secure some $$$ for MVP. I'm definitely in for a study group. My weakness is generally LG (sometimes as bad as -7 lol) so definitely going to double down on it even though I went 20/23 on the June test.

I hadn't heard of the trainer until last week, what is it best for would those of you who've used it say? I struggled on the June RC (which I normally go -3/4 in max) but think that was pretty common considering the difficulty of it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”