June Retakers Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What is the best Slack emoji?

Party parrot
6%
Party parrot with wine
28%
Party Testy
33%
:180:
17%
:179:
No votes
Unicorn poo
6%
Cripple 626
11%

Total votes: 18

Walliums

Silver

Re: June Retakers Study Group

Post by Walliums » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:18 am

Hi friends! We are having our first review session today on Slack (9 p.m. ET) going over the first LR section from PT 35. Full details are available on our Google calendar.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:37 am

tuna_wasabi wrote: ...How do you guys find the motivation to get back to studying mode? I tried yesterday and it was so hard. The great weather certainly isn't helping either.
I haven't found it. I haven't really done anything plus I've been busy with other stuff. Really need to kick myself in the ass before it's too late

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:43 am

tuna_wasabi wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
You see, this is what pissed me off about my June performance. I've pretty much locked in on RC/LG. I go about -3-4 in RC, and about -1-2 in LG. It's my LR consistency that kills me. I can go as low as -1-2 in one section and then get like 4+ wrong in the other (-2 on LR1 and -8 on LR2 in June). The only solution I can thinking of is just to continue drilling and PTing.
I'm the exact same. I'll go -0-3 on RC, and -0-2 on LG, then blow it on LR. It's actually what I did on the June test, I missed 3 combined on RC and LG, then went -3 and -5 on LR. I ordered the Trainer, Future Ex-Engineer says it's legit and I trust his opinion, if I can get LR down to -4 max, I'll crush September.
Yeah for me I don't think it's that I need to "learn" more out of like a theory book or whatever, I think I just need to hammer in the consistency. I used the trainer a little bit when I studied for last September, it didn't do much for me.
...How do you guys find the motivation to get back to studying mode? I tried yesterday and it was so hard. The great weather certainly isn't helping either.
I haven't yet tbh, a lot harder to motivate for T13 v T18 as opposed to my previous TT score. But it looks like I'm going to have no internet for a week so that will likely help motivate me by boredom. Lightning appears to have struck our phone line, no repair for a week, and no cell service :roll: Will prob have to reschedule WUSTL interview also.

DaydreamNation

Bronze

Post by DaydreamNation » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:12 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote: I haven't yet tbh, a lot harder to motivate for T13 v T18 as opposed to my previous TT score. But it looks like I'm going to have no internet for a week so that will likely help motivate me by boredom. Lightning appears to have struck our phone line, no repair for a week, and no cell service :roll: Will prob have to reschedule WUSTL interview also.
Sounds to me like the Great God Zeus has given you a gift in your pursuit of LSAT perfection! :lightningboltemoji:

it's allgood

Bronze

Post by it's allgood » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:19 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
tuna_wasabi wrote: ...How do you guys find the motivation to get back to studying mode? I tried yesterday and it was so hard. The great weather certainly isn't helping either.
I haven't found it. I haven't really done anything plus I've been busy with other stuff. Really need to kick myself in the ass before it's too late
I find the slack study group to be very motivating and helpful!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:45 pm

it's allgood wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
I find the slack study group to be very motivating and helpful!
Yea, I've been failing at motivation with taking in December. This group is definitely starting to help with keeping me on my toes for stuff.

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:06 pm

tuna_wasabi wrote:...How do you guys find the motivation to get back to studying mode? I tried yesterday and it was so hard. The great weather certainly isn't helping either.
I've been mostly just doing stuff on the train while listening to music. I got a 40 minute ride home every day so that's enough to get a few things done. Figure that+weekend PTing is enough to keep my juices flowing until I go into full-on study mode in August.

DaydreamNation

Bronze

Post by DaydreamNation » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:29 pm

Took all of PT 35 since we're doing a section anyway as part of that section review tonight, and it confirmed my suspicions. I'm strongest at LR, went -1 on LR1 and -0 on LR2!! RC was good, -2 and those were the last two q's so if I can squeeze an extra 60 seconds out I can probably start hitting -0 or -1.

Logic games, however, went very poorly. -8, largely because I completely ran out of time for Game #4 and had to randomly bubble things in for all the questions besides the first one.

edit: even with the awful LG section I still hit 171, first PT at 170+

pupper

New

Post by pupper » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:24 pm

The group review of PT35, LR1 was a great success, by the way! Feel free to join in next time. :)

Especially if you would like to get your :party-parrot: on.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DaydreamNation

Bronze

Post by DaydreamNation » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:52 am

Was great last night! I'd love it if we figured out a way to do an LG section review at some point

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:15 pm

Are you guys excluding non-retakers from your group? I'd love to meet regularly and discuss things (aka if you're looking for more warm bodies to sacrifice to the LSAT gods)

solidarity4ever

New

Post by solidarity4ever » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:01 pm

Hi all! I'm setting up the next LR section review. I'm proposing PT 33, S1. Sticking to prep tests in the 30s to conserve later ones for full tests/later drills. Tuesday at 9pm seems to work for most people so I'm sticking to that time for next week. Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

pupper

New

Post by pupper » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:59 pm

The latest review session was yet another great success! Thanks to everyone who participated.

By the way, there are currently some polls on Slack about which section(s) we'll cover next and when.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:02 pm

twiix wrote:Are you guys excluding non-retakers from your group? I'd love to meet regularly and discuss things (aka if you're looking for more warm bodies to sacrifice to the LSAT gods)
While Twiix has joined us, I'm answering this so that it's in here in case any lurkers are curious. You do not have to be a retaker to be part of this group. We have some first time takers for both Sept and December in the group.

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:59 pm

Anyone know a good guide to getting the "if substituted for the condition" questions right? I miss them like 2/3 of the time. Just went -3 on a LG section, missed 2/2 of those.

Saylor1720

New

Post by Saylor1720 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:56 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:Anyone know a good guide to getting the "if substituted for the condition" questions right? I miss them like 2/3 of the time. Just went -3 on a LG section, missed 2/2 of those.
7sage does a good job explaining these. It's not cut and dry, more of a fluid/intuition thing. The basic premise of it is that the "new" rule doesn't add or take away any of the possible "worlds" created by the original rules. Check out the 7 sage explanations for the games you miss that question on.

QueenBAYder

Bronze

Post by QueenBAYder » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:56 am

Hey everyone! If you filled out the survey for study partners, check the email that you used to sign up! We just sent out the groups.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:28 am

Jack_Kelly wrote:Anyone know a good guide to getting the "if substituted for the condition" questions right? I miss them like 2/3 of the time. Just went -3 on a LG section, missed 2/2 of those.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/mprep_document ... 111106.pdf

This is a pretty solid guide. At the end of the day, the better you understand the game, the easier it is to make these inferences. I can usually just cross out 2 or 3 of the AC's based on high level wording because you get a feel for how the rule will change the other rules/inferences. If you're down to 2 or 3, hopefully you have time if you leave these for the very end of the section to brute force them.

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:57 am

twiix wrote:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/mprep_document ... 111106.pdf

This is a pretty solid guide. At the end of the day, the better you understand the game, the easier it is to make these inferences. I can usually just cross out 2 or 3 of the AC's based on high level wording because you get a feel for how the rule will change the other rules/inferences. If you're down to 2 or 3, hopefully you have time if you leave these for the very end of the section to brute force them.
Thank you! That looks very helpful. I still suck at inferences, my improvement in LG has mostly been that I can brute force really quickly, not actually solving games.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:52 am

The Logic Games Bible has a good guide to this.

For me, I always think "What's the implication? Does this rule make it so only F can be ahead of H?" Sometimes, I'll look back at my other diagrams for other questions in that game and I'll look for patterns.

Those ones and "Find the min/max number of..." are the hardest 100%

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:02 pm

heyduchess wrote:

For me, I always think "What's the implication? Does this rule make it so only F can be ahead of H?" Sometimes, I'll look back at my other diagrams for other questions in that game and I'll look for patterns.

This is probably useless advice, but for substitution questions I just visualize the rules and it works out for me nearly 100% of the time. They usually come at the end of the game so you've already done a few questions and have an idea of what's going on. I was never a big diagrammer or outliner in any subject so I kind of play to my strength here.

The hardest ones for me are MBT, they can be a real pain in the ass sometimes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:05 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
heyduchess wrote:

This is probably useless advice, but for substitution questions I just visualize the rules and it works out for me nearly 100% of the time. They usually come at the end of the game so you've already done a few questions and have an idea of what's going on. I was never a big diagrammer or outliner in any subject so I kind of play to my strength here.

The hardest ones for me are MBT, they can be a real pain in the ass sometimes.
I guess I'm lucky in that I write super fast, so for MBT, I pick the one I think is most likely and try to diagram it as false. Like "Bob must take an art class" and I'll have Bob in physics instead. (That rebel.) If I can still complete the diagram, obviously Bob doesn't HAVE to take an art class, so that answer's wrong.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:08 pm

heyduchess wrote:
I guess I'm lucky in that I write super fast, so for MBT, I pick the one I think is most likely and try to diagram it as false. Like "Bob must take an art class" and I'll have Bob in physics instead. (That rebel.) If I can still complete the diagram, obviously Bob doesn't HAVE to take an art class, so that answer's wrong.
That's actually a good approach and I've never considered that. Once I started going -0/-1 on games I kind of just stopped trying to get better at them haha, but I'm definitely going to try this out.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:23 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
heyduchess wrote:
That's actually a good approach and I've never considered that. Once I started going -0/-1 on games I kind of just stopped trying to get better at them haha, but I'm definitely going to try this out.
I did this, too, and then I got -3 on the June test after going -0 for months. Would've had a 172 :(

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:52 pm

3 PTs before test day: 174-170-168

Test day: 166

3 PTs after test day: 175-171-173

lol.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”