Feeling down about score Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Tazewell

Bronze

Re: Feeling down about score

Post by Tazewell » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:04 am

As you can see from the replies, you're not the first or the last to be disappointed in your LSAT score, so keep grinding!
I think my biggest improvement between my first and second take was how I took my practice tests. I studied my ass off, but took all of my practice tests at home, in my dark, quiet room. It was just a small shortcut that I thought was convenient and harmless. Come test day, every sniffle, furious erasing, proctor's cell phone, etc. threw me off, but I didn't feel like it did at the time. After the first take, I took all my practice tests in the lobby of my UG library and the second time around, I didn't even notice when my proctor was talking on her cell phone. Taking PTs with distractions around made me so much more mentally tough and focused. I highly suggest doing that if you don't already! Good luck on the retake!

it's allgood

Bronze

Post by it's allgood » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:33 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
lynn.wibi wrote:
DowsingForAJD wrote:Thoughts on Manhattan vs Trainer vs 7Sage for LR? I haven't used any before and I'm wondering which is better for nailing down those curve breaker questions.
TRAINER TRAINER TRAINER.

Seriously, using that got me from taking 33 minutes to finish the section with like 20/25 accuracy to 27 minutes with 24/25 accuracy.
HOW??
Not 100% sure, but I'll detail what I did.

I went from stimulus first to stem first (that was huge) and that change singlehandedly saved me multiple seconds on every single question. I used to read the stim, then read stem, then have to go back and figure out what part of the stim mattered. With stem first, I drilled a TON and got to where I had a bit of LSAT-intuition and 'feel' for what mattered.

This I have found to be really helpful!!! It really made me realize what I was doing wrong with LR and that is that I was focusing on the part of the stim that did not matter and was getting horribly confused when trying to identify an AC. I did not even realize this until I did a review after reading your post. Massive props for helping me figure out my massive LR issue!!!!!!!!!!!!

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:14 am

it's allgood wrote:
lynn.wibi wrote:
DowsingForAJD wrote:Thoughts on Manhattan vs Trainer vs 7Sage for LR? I haven't used any before and I'm wondering which is better for nailing down those curve breaker questions.
TRAINER TRAINER TRAINER.

Seriously, using that got me from taking 33 minutes to finish the section with like 20/25 accuracy to 27 minutes with 24/25 accuracy.
HOW??

I went from stimulus first to stem first (that was huge) and that change singlehandedly saved me multiple seconds on every single question. I used to read the stim, then read stem, then have to go back and figure out what part of the stim mattered. With stem first, I drilled a TON and got to where I had a bit of LSAT-intuition and 'feel' for what mattered.

This I have found to be really helpful!!! It really made me realize what I was doing wrong with LR and that is that I was focusing on the part of the stim that did not matter and was getting horribly confused when trying to identify an AC. I did not even realize this until I did a review after reading your post. Massive props for helping me figure out my massive LR issue!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad it helped. Once I made that connection with the help of the LSAT Trainer, I felt it blew LR wide open for me. Pretty pleased with -3 combined there for the June test

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:19 am

Studying for a third take is mentally draining; take care of yourself

solidarity4ever

New

Post by solidarity4ever » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:20 pm

it's allgood wrote:
lynn.wibi wrote:
TRAINER TRAINER TRAINER.

HOW??

I am definitely going to try this. I had read some stuff early on about how the stem first approach is confusing or whatever so I never bothered with it; always just did stim first instead. But it makes sense that it would save lots of time. Thanks for sharing!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:49 pm

Yea, I started stim first cuz PS Bible said so but switched to stem after my prep class told me to try it. I like it a lot better.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:07 pm

Experiment626 wrote:Yea, I started stim first cuz PS Bible said so but switched to stem after my prep class told me to try it. I like it a lot better.
LR Bible I thought was pretty awful to be honest. I performed much better after doing Trainer

it's allgood

Bronze

Post by it's allgood » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:58 pm

solidarity4ever wrote:
it's allgood wrote:
lynn.wibi wrote:
TRAINER TRAINER TRAINER.

HOW??

I am definitely going to try this. I had read some stuff early on about how the stem first approach is confusing or whatever so I never bothered with it; always just did stim first instead. But it makes sense that it would save lots of time. Thanks for sharing!
I have found that it is important to also parse out what is important to focus on in the stim (based on what the stem is asking/question type). Just looking at stem first was not quite enough for me; it was when I paired the looking at the stem first with parsing out what is important to focus on based what the stem is asking that the magic happened!!!!!!

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:28 pm

Experiment626 wrote:Yea, I started stim first cuz PS Bible said so but switched to stem after my prep class told me to try it. I like it a lot better.
LR Bible I thought was pretty awful to be honest. I performed much better after doing Trainer
Good to know. Maybe I won't finish it after completing the Trainer. Maybe skip to 7sage LR and RC for any additional insight.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:38 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
Good to know. Maybe I won't finish it after completing the Trainer. Maybe skip to 7sage LR and RC for any additional insight.
I just found it to be wayyyyyy too formulaic in it's methodology. That mentality works well for LG, simply because LG is pretty mechanistic, and there isn't real 'creativity' in solving them. I think you miss a lot of the core of LR by reducing it to a bunch of algorithmic thoughts, and you miss out on actually having a deep understanding of how to solve it that way. Missing those core pieces I think kept me from really being very successful at LR for a long time.

QueenBAYder

Bronze

Post by QueenBAYder » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:59 am

it's allgood wrote:
solidarity4ever wrote:
it's allgood wrote:
lynn.wibi wrote:
TRAINER TRAINER TRAINER.

HOW??

I have found that it is important to also parse out what is important to focus on in the stim (based on what the stem is asking/question type). Just looking at stem first was not quite enough for me; it was when I paired the looking at the stem first with parsing out what is important to focus on based what the stem is asking that the magic happened!!!!!!
By "whats important to focus on" do you mean isolating the premises and the conclusion or are there other things you look for?

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:03 am

QueenBAYder wrote: By "whats important to focus on" do you mean isolating the premises and the conclusion or are there other things you look for?
For me, the tons of practice/drilling gave me an almost instinctual sense of what sentences/phrases in the stimulus were actually useful for ACs, and what was there as fluff/distraction.

Definitely developing an automatic premise/conclusion identification skill was a part of that. For me I became very careful to identify 'special' words (modifiers/rebuttals/etc) as those often are critical to understanding the argument presented as a whole.

Sorry if that's not super clear. It's still a funny concept to me a little bit - kind of like feeling like I 'flowed' with the test

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:06 am

QueenBAYder wrote: By "whats important to focus on" do you mean isolating the premises and the conclusion or are there other things you look for?
I think it's a bit more than that. Based on the question you will know if you need to identify premise and conclusion or not but also what you're doing with the information in the stim. Looking for the sufficient is different than looking for the necessary even though there will be a premise and conclusion. Another example would be resolve the conflict. There might not be a premise and conclusion but you know to approach it by looking for what's missing as you read it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

YinFireHare

New

Post by YinFireHare » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:34 pm

mwells56 wrote:Going along with the plethora of June related posts, just looking for a place to vent.

Last September I took it before I was ready and got a 161. To be fair, I knew I wasn't ready and shouldn't have taken it, but I still was beneath what I had been averaging (~165ish). I took the semester off from studying and picked it back up again in January. I had a pretty steady incline in performance, to the point where my last 6 PTs were something like 169-170-173-174-170-168

Come test day? 166. Devastated. Had my absolute worst single section LR performance pretty much ever (-8), with a bad curve to boot. I would've been fine with a 168-169ish. With my GPA (3.75), I still would've retaken for 170+ but the pressure would've been off because I could've gone places that I wanted (MVPD range). Now I feel like I'm in do-or-die mode. Who knows, maybe I get unlucky again on test day?

I was gunna submit my apps on day 1 and then just sit around and wait. I thought the hard part was over, now I feel like it's just beginning. I'm going to have to put my life on hold for the next few months. Not that that's the worst thing in the world, it's just not what I was planning for. This sucks.
Dear mwells56,

One thing I want to mention is that a 166 (according to 7sage) is ~93.14 percentile, meaning your score is better than 93.14% of LSAT test takers.

That being said, I understand that a 170+ score is your personal intention. What I believe you must do is focus on learning and growth and improvement. Take on the LSAT as a learning opportunity. It is OK to take it another time if you wish. But also shift your happiness/focus on doing your best and what it will take to be proud of yourself.

I refuse to believe that it is simply a question of what number you score on the LSAT retake. Think about the journey and what are the steps / the effort that you need to perform to get to test day and know that you have done all that you can.

On test day, think about what approach you need to take on the exam itself to walk away knowing that you have done all that you can.

Once you do these two things in terms of (1) preparation and (2) test taking - your end of the journey is complete and you can be proud of yourself no matter what the end score is.

I hope this helps.

darthlawyer

Bronze

Post by darthlawyer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:52 pm

pretty good score. congrats. but in 10 years you probably wont even remember your score. dont sweat it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”