First LSAT Score Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
TheNextElleWoods

New

First LSAT Score

Post by TheNextElleWoods » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:54 am

What was your first score on a practice LSAT (full test)? If you did a course, how many points did you improve and which course did you do?

QueenBAYder

Bronze

Re: First LSAT Score

Post by QueenBAYder » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:17 am

My first ever diagnostic LSAT score was a 158 (6 years ago). I took a Kaplan course that summer but didn't study properly outside of the course and ended up getting a 158 (again) on the December 2011 LSAT (Kaplan also just kind of sucks for LSAT). This time around, my "diagnostic" LSAT was 162, I self-studied with the Powerscore Bibles, the LSAT Trainer, and the 10 actual books and before the June LSAT my PT score range was varying between the high 160s and low 170s. I also spent like $100 on Lawschooli's "Mastermind" membership when it was on special over Thanksgiving. Honestly, I found it helpful and don't regret spending the money but I've heard better things about the similarly priced 7 sage package.

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:19 am

But it was an actual test because I am an idiot

saf18hornet

Bronze

Post by saf18hornet » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:32 am

Diagnostic was 148. I did get a -4 on LG, but ran out of time with 10+ questions left on every other section. The only money I spent on prep materials was for the Trainer and PT books for tests 19-79.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:25 am

QueenBAYder wrote:My first ever diagnostic LSAT score was a 158 (6 years ago). I took a Kaplan course that summer but didn't study properly outside of the course and ended up getting a 158 (again) on the December 2011 LSAT (Kaplan also just kind of sucks for LSAT). This time around, my "diagnostic" LSAT was 162, I self-studied with the Powerscore Bibles, the LSAT Trainer, and the 10 actual books and before the June LSAT my PT score range was varying between the high 160s and low 170s. I also spent like $100 on Lawschooli's "Mastermind" membership when it was on special over Thanksgiving. Honestly, I found it helpful and don't regret spending the money but I've heard better things about the similarly priced 7 sage package.

Yea, I did this 12 years ago via Kaplan course, didn't help much. Do not recommend their courses because they promise an improvement and 1 point is technically an improvement.

This time around I did a local course that a friend who broke 170 recommended. I saw an 18 point improvement, via PTs, in 3 months. We'll see where the actual test ends up in a couple weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:57 pm

Went from 146 to 169 (hopefully higher after this June test) through self study. I think classes can be good for the right person, but there's so many resources out there that self study is probably the better call.

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:28 am

carsondalywashere wrote:Went from 146 to 169 (hopefully higher after this June test) through self study. I think classes can be good for the right person, but there's so many resources out there that self study is probably the better call.
How long did you study for?

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:55 am

Diag 153. Used a commercial online program and took about 50 practice tests, most of them twice, did all LG sections at least 3 times. Prepped 1-2 hours nearly every day for a period of four months. Took the actual LSAT once and scored 174. Took an undisclosed test but I'm reasonably confident I missed more than half my questions missed on one RC passage. Thems the breaks.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:36 pm

King of the North wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:Went from 146 to 169 (hopefully higher after this June test) through self study. I think classes can be good for the right person, but there's so many resources out there that self study is probably the better call.
To get to the 167-171 range, it took me 6 months with studying 10-20 hours a week. I plateaued for a VERY long time after that though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:42 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
King of the North wrote:
To get to the 167-171 range, it took me 6 months with studying 10-20 hours a week. I plateaued for a VERY long time after that though.
Interesting. I ask because I started out at 153. Been studying for a month and I study about the same hours per week you did, 20ish. Wanting to take in December. I'll really only end up with about 5 months of study time since I'm taking 2 weeks worth of vacations soon and since I struggled to study a couple weeks in June.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:44 pm

King of the North wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
King of the North wrote:
Interesting. I ask because I started out at 153. Been studying for a month and I study about the same hours per week you did, 20ish. Wanting to take in December. I'll really only end up with about 5 months of study time since I'm taking 2 weeks worth of vacations soon and since I struggled to study a couple weeks in June.
That's definitely doable.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:46 pm

Scored a 151, studied for 5 months (although I don't count the first month because I had Barron's study materials). Towards the end I was PTing between 170-176, hoping for a 172+ on the June test.

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:50 pm

159--->171 with an in-person Testmasters course, which I kinda slacked off in but still showed up for. I thought it was fun. Met some great people.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:57 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
King of the North wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
King of the North wrote:
Thanks. I think even a 168 would get me into the school I want with maybe some scholarship money (Vanderbilt-UGPA is a 3.5). But certainly aiming for higher than that.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:02 pm

King of the North wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
King of the North wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
King of the North wrote:
Thanks. I think even a 168 would get me into the school I want with maybe some scholarship money (Vanderbilt-UGPA is a 3.5). But certainly aiming for higher than that.
When are you applying? Applying in December/January is pretty late. With the unlimited retakes, I'd just keep sitting until you break 170 and apply first day apps open in 2018. People with more knowledge can speak more about this though

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:13 pm

Took it too early and had a lot of anxiety on test day, got a 163.

Retook, studied much more effectively, and got a 171 this past February.

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:16 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
King of the North wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
King of the North wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
King of the North wrote:
When are you applying? Applying in December/January is pretty late. With the unlimited retakes, I'd just keep sitting until you break 170 and apply first day apps open in 2018. People with more knowledge can speak more about this though
The problem is I don't think I'll be ready to test in September and get the score I need. I also don't want to wait another year to apply if I can get the score I need in December and get accepted. My plan was to take the test and complete my application and submit it in the time it takes to receive my score.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:36 pm

I'd already done some prep-work (as in reading the Powerscore bibles and just fooling around with questions), so it wasn't exactly a cold diagnostic, but it was 162 I think. A few months of off-and-on studying plus 3 months of solid 5 to 6 hours a day 5 days a week got me to a 178 on test day (last June). I didn't take a course though.

Greenteachurro

Silver

Post by Greenteachurro » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:20 pm

151 --> 166 was pt-ing around 172 before the test

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”