12 month PowerScore Study Plan Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
plagdiw

New

12 month PowerScore Study Plan

Post by plagdiw » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:10 am

Has anyone studied for the LSAT solely using the PowerScore study materials? I saw on their site that they have a 12 month study plan and I am planning on taking the exam next June so I will have a solid year to prep.

What are your opinions and, if you don't mind me asking, your results?

Experiment626

Silver

Re: 12 month PowerScore Study Plan

Post by Experiment626 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:12 pm

kudos on the 12 month planning ahead. I wouldn't do just Powerscore, there's lots of discussion about what people think are the best. Some swear by PS and others a combo. In my study, I tried to do 3 month PS in combination with a local class a friend recommended and PS gave me the basics but I didn't like some of their methods so I did a combo. Better to get multiple ways that are different and find what works best for you because one method could just click with you and let you do a problem in 1/2 the time than PS's or vice versa.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:28 pm

plagdiw wrote:Has anyone studied for the LSAT solely using the PowerScore study materials? I saw on their site that they have a 12 month study plan and I am planning on taking the exam next June so I will have a solid year to prep.

I just did. Unsure of my results... But I did the Powerscore Bibles and then a bunch of PrepTests. I can't do classes. I get frustrated when people are below my level. I'm not trying to sound snooty, it's just the truth. I found that if you commit to at least 25 pages a day, it's easy to blow through the bibles. Then, I committed to at least 2 exams a week, but I also took two months to just do 35 minute drills.

I'll let you know how it went! Will say, I wish I'd done SOMETHING for RC. I just tried reading dense material, but I wish I knew some tricks.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:50 pm

heyduchess wrote:
plagdiw wrote:Has anyone studied for the LSAT solely using the PowerScore study materials? I saw on their site that they have a 12 month study plan and I am planning on taking the exam next June so I will have a solid year to prep.

I just did. Unsure of my results... But I did the Powerscore Bibles and then a bunch of PrepTests. I can't do classes. I get frustrated when people are below my level. I'm not trying to sound snooty, it's just the truth. I found that if you commit to at least 25 pages a day, it's easy to blow through the bibles. Then, I committed to at least 2 exams a week, but I also took two months to just do 35 minute drills.

I'll let you know how it went! Will say, I wish I'd done SOMETHING for RC. I just tried reading dense material, but I wish I knew some tricks.
Yea, the PS method didn't really help me. I swapped to my local prep course's method for RC.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:56 pm

vtdelt wrote:
heyduchess wrote: I wish I'd done SOMETHING for RC. I just tried reading dense material, but I wish I knew some tricks.
Yea, the PS method didn't really help me. I swapped to my local prep course's method for RC.
echoing that I think powerscore RC is worthless.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

plagdiw

New

Post by plagdiw » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:07 pm

heyduchess wrote:

Thanks so much! I am sure you did great! I just ordered Mike Kim's LSAT Trainer and torrented PT's 1-74 for now onto my laptop. I don't want to do a course cause they're super expensive and can't afford it right now and I'm also better and reading materials and understanding them on my own vs having someone teach me :P

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:49 pm

guybourdin wrote:
vtdelt wrote:
heyduchess wrote: I wish I'd done SOMETHING for RC. I just tried reading dense material, but I wish I knew some tricks.
echoing that I think powerscore RC is worthless.
I suspect that there is no way to bring your RC to a high level comfort like you would in LR and LG.

roflsat

New

Post by roflsat » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:13 pm

vtdelt wrote:
heyduchess wrote:

I'm in the minority here, but I actually found RC Bible quite helpful. I started off pretty strong in RC, and was definitely helped by just being a person who reads a lot. But the PS method helped me focus on reading for structure and argumentation, and in particular to understand each passage as a conversation, with a bunch of distinct people or groups of people (e.g. "critics") giving arguments and pieces of evidence that may or may not directly relate to one another. And the focus on presenting different viewpoints and understanding their relationship to one another is a hallmark of LSAT reading that is not necessarily going to be present even in dense or complex reading material.

LastManStanding

New

Post by LastManStanding » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:22 pm

Currently finishing up the PS 4 month Study Plan about 3 weeks early. I don't think the timing is necessarily mission critical. The way they structure the reading material and Type Training is more important than keeping their weekly schedule. At least that's what I found most useful about the schedule. If you have 12M, consider the quicker 6M and take it at your own pace. Once done, you can use the remaining months to focus on more PTs and memorizing the PS methods.

IMO, PS RC is by far the least useful of the trilogy, but not useless. If you have 12M, you should push through it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”