Speed on Logic Games Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Crooked ATL

New

Speed on Logic Games

Post by Crooked ATL » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:19 pm

Hello everyone,

I began my LSAT prep about a week and a half ago and scored 157 on my diagnostic. Most of the questions I missed were due to running out of time in the LG section.

I am now working through the Powerscore LG Bible, and am really starting to get the hang of the games, but each one is taking me 10-15 minutes to finish.

I'm just starting out and I'm sure speed will come with more practice, but I'm wondering if I should be concerned that they are taking me so long? Does anyone have any advice for speeding up on LGs?

I am hoping to at least break 170 in the end so I really want to be able to speed these up quite a bit. Any input appreciated, thanks! :)

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Re: Speed on Logic Games

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:33 pm

Do games, games, games and review the free 7sage videos for every single one. If you don't get -0 or take too long on a game, do it again. 7sage has a video on YouTube on their "foolproof method" that you should definitely check out. Speed will come, it just takes work.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:46 pm

Speed in games is largely a matter of familiarity. It takes a while to really get the hang of which diagram/set up you should use to attack the questions. It takes a little more time to start to really get familiar with the inferences that are consistently used from game to game for that particular diagram. You have nothing to worry about. In my own experience, games just "clicked" one day. Powerscore is a really good foundation, but shouldn't be considered gospel. Real speed in LG is going to come from being able to adapt techniques from various sources to what works best for you. That said, Powerscore is really good for linear, advanced linear. 7 sage is really good for grouping games (watch all the Youtube videos for each game you do, anyway), and I personally came up with my own thing for pure sequencing games.

HesusChrist

New

Post by HesusChrist » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:02 pm

Relax. Speed will come with practice. You're only a week in; some people spend years getting good. If you are slow in two months of drilling, then you may have cause for concern.

Economyclass

New

Post by Economyclass » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:08 am

Watching your timing was a big one for me, as well as knowing the type of game you are dealing with. Do the following and you should be set.

1. Read the LG Bible back to back, do all the questions, don't worry about timing, make sure you have accuracy down first.

2. Make sure you are on top of timing for each and every game. So there are 4 games in each section, the first one is usually a simple linear game, the second one gets a bit more difficult, the hardest game is usually game 3, and then game 4 could be anything but usually a grouping/advanced linear game.

3. I would budget 5-7 minutes for the first game, try to finish game 2 by 15-16 minutes, and then leave 10 minutes for game 3, and the rest for game 4. Remember to stay strictly on schedule, don't get too bogged down for difficult questions or get stuck on a single game, be disciplined/structured about time use!

4. Linear/Advanced Linear/Grouping Games take up most of the games that you will see, so make sure that as soon as you see a game, you know what TYPE of game it is, and proceed accordingly

5. THe hierarchy of games is numerical distribution-grouping-linear, you will have learned this if you read the lg bible. ALWAYS keep this in mind!

6. Proceed step by step and don't panic, keep an eye on the clock at all times.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NavyNuke

Bronze

Post by NavyNuke » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:39 am

Last edited by NavyNuke on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QueenBAYder

Bronze

Post by QueenBAYder » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:57 am

Also, as a general strategy if you're still inconsistent on timing once you start drilling sections, I recommend paying attention to the number of questions each game has. There's generally one game with only 5 questions. For those, do the set up, answer the first question (be sure to fill in guesses for the other 4 in case you can't get to them), and come back to it at the end. That way you get through the 6 and 7 question games with plenty of time to spare and when you get back to your 5 question game, its already set up and waiting for you.

Phil Brooks

Bronze

Post by Phil Brooks » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:02 am

Erase your answers and re-do the games you've already done.

Crooked ATL

New

Post by Crooked ATL » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:45 pm

Thanks for the advice, everyone! It helps a lot and I'm relieved to know I'm not behind in my prep at this point! I'm starting to get to the point where I'm not missing any questions but still find myself getting -1 on about 1 in 4 games (though not finished with the LGB yet).

I am definitely finding most of the 7sage videos incredibly helpful, and I find his methods for grouping games a lot more straightforward than Powerscore's so far.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”