Best method for practicing logical reasoning Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Lawschoolsenpai

New

Best method for practicing logical reasoning

Post by Lawschoolsenpai » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:28 am

Hi everyone, I had a question regarding drilling old LR sections for practice. With LG, I'll look at an old game and not remember any of the answers, which makes for great practice. With LR it seems almost completely futile, I'll look at the answer choices from any previous PT and the correct answer just pops out of the page(the test is clean, no physical indication of the correct answer exists).

I've only done PT 19-30 so far but I don't want to waste taking more LR sections if I'm not improving and I'm not sure how to do that if practicing old tests doesn't help like it does with LG or RC.

TL;DR Drilling old LR sections doesn't seem to be helping me that much because I remember the correct answers, this is frustrating b/c the same problem doesn't exist for LG or RC :(

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Re: Best method for practicing logical reasoning

Post by MediocreAtBest » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:05 pm

Understanding exactly why the answers are correct/incorrect is the best thing you can do, even if you recognize the correct answer in old tests. The good thing about LR is there are 2 of them per test, so there's a lot of material, but definitely slow down a little, read through your books, and drill whenever you feel like it, really focusing on how you're arriving at answers. Maybe after you've done 30 LR sections the ones from pt19 won't seem quite as familiar anymore.

JoanOfArc2012

New

Post by JoanOfArc2012 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:07 pm

Read the logical reasoning bibles. Be sure you understand the basic concepts.

Do small (1 section) practice sets. Review each question carefully, especially the ones you missed but also the ones you got right. There are patterns on the LSAT -- try to look for them! If you're practicing from old tests (as opposed to textbook excerpts) you can find good explanations of what makes answers right/wrong, diagrams, etc on free online forums --

https://forum.powerscore.com/lsat/viewtopic.php?t=13994

Learn from your mistakes. Practice. Repeat.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:56 pm

My LR drilling started by going through the Powerscore book and doing most of the drills in it, I then went on to Manhattan and did the same thing. Started doing LR UNTIMED, and started to get comfortable before starting timed sections.

I'd usually do 2 timed sections every other day. Honestly, review for LR is far more important than plugging and chugging through the material. Personally, I would go over the entire section again, not just the one's I missed or thought were hard. Doing so gave me a good perspective on why I might get a particularly tough question right but miss another.

My other piece of advice for LR would be to not only look at the actual logic of the question, but also analyze your own thought process. If you're not seeing improvement, you need to slow down, maybe stop doing timed sections and dedicate more time to review.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”