June 2017 Waiters Thread- Grayday! -9 curve. GL all Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get? (Presumptive release day poll. Revolting enabled)

177+
6%
175+
4%
173+
15%
170+
17%
167+
19%
165+
11%
163+
10%
160+
6%
159 -
12%

Total votes: 143

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for 180s

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:32 pm

I booked a cruise from Puerto Rico for score release day

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:33 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:I booked a cruise from Puerto Rico for score release day
Yolo

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:41 pm

I called LSAC this morning to see if they got my certifying statement yet, and while they didn't get it through the mail they told me I could just fill it out, scan it and email it which I did. I got an email saying they were processing it 30 minutes later and the notice has been removed from my online account as of 5 minutes ago! The rep on the phone said it actually happens a lot, and it could be because you missed a word, comma, or wrote illegibly. They also said it would be very unlikely to delay my score.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:44 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:I booked a cruise from Puerto Rico for score release day
Sweet! I'm waiting on scores to see if I need to retake, and if I don't I'm probably using the money I have set aside for a retake + more prep materials to go to EDC Orlando in November.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:45 pm

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
Yolo
oooooooooo

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:04 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Sweet! I'm waiting on scores to see if I need to retake, and if I don't I'm probably using the money I have set aside for a retake + more prep materials to go to EDC Orlando in November.
Lol double praying for a high score then

I'm stoked, I might even be without reception so I'll have no idea

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:08 am

Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:

I hope scores come early enough that you can know your score (and celebrate).

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:09 am

Last edited by Experiment626 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

NavyNuke

Bronze

Post by NavyNuke » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:57 am

Last edited by NavyNuke on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LesPaul1995

Bronze

Post by LesPaul1995 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:12 am

NavyNuke wrote:Anybody have a list of the schools in the T20 that have a "why X school" essay option?
Any school absent HYSCCN technically could benefit from you writing a why "x" essay. As for who accepts them, I think it is an option as long as they don't specify on their website not to, which to my knowledge, none of them do. From what I have heard, they are especially useful for YP schools, e.g. MVP, Duke, etc.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:48 am

rowdy wrote:
Mint-Berry_Crunch wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:

I hope scores come early enough that you can know your score (and celebrate).

#prayfor30

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:50 am

NavyNuke wrote:Anybody have a list of the schools in the T20 that have a "why X school" essay option?
From my research it seems like UVA, Michigan, Duke, Cornell and UT really want to see why X essays, especially if you are from out of state/region. I'm planning on writing one for each of those.

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Post by Mint-Berry_Crunch » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:56 am

Why Xs never hurt.

I know uva really likes them, berk, mich, and upen. corn asks for a blurb

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:29 am

Haven't started doing my PS yet, but I know what I'm writing about so I should probably do it, I'm not doing anything else anyway. Definitely writing whyX statements for almost every school, I need all the help I can get if they don't immediately throw my app in the trash when they see my gpa.

LesPaul1995

Bronze

Post by LesPaul1995 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:47 am

Has anyone started studying for the September LSAT in case of a retake?

kai90

New

Post by kai90 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:07 pm

vtdelt wrote:
King of the North wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
King of the North wrote:Not to hijack this thread but it seems like you guys are willing to talk about anything with anyone lol, so I'm going to take advantage of that and ask a question or two.

Is applying in Dec. fine? Because I've been studying for a month and Dec. is when I plan on taking the test. That's not going to be "late" or a hindrance on my chance to get into schools/scholarships will it? Assuming, obviously, that my numbers and application check out fine.
Dec scores come out in January. I would consider that late, seeing as how you would completely miss out on the opportunity to apply for something like Northwestern's ED program which gives a 150k scholly. It won't kill a good app by any means, just not the most ideal timing
That's really frustrating. Why the hell is the test in December then if people have to wait until January to apply? In any event, my hope is that I can just submit or at least prepare all my application material and either have them waiting on my LSAT score or just be ready to submit my application the day they release scores. This really makes me mad. I think I would consider myself a splitter considering my GPA is a 3.5 and I'm shooting for at least a 168 so I have a chance at getting in and getting some money from Vanderbilt. If I can do that, I'm set.
I feel like the December test is really more of a "retake" option for people applying that cycle. They've already got a score under their belt and will send in apps and use the score they already have. If they want to get a higher score, they retake and December will replace their older score if it's better while keeping their time of submission of their application the same.
Your feeling is backed by data. An LSAC report (http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source ... -14-01.pdf) shows that "On
average, the percentage of first-time test takers was about 83% in June, 76% inSeptember/October, and 61% in both December and February." Personally, I would have thought that this would be a good indicator of when someone should take the test, meaning that people who are more experienced with the LSAT are probably going to perform better overall, therefore a June testing date would be ideal. However, when looking at data from the 2012-2013 cycle (http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source ... erdata.pdf) it seems that the vast majority of re-takers that initially received a score of 168 or higher actually lowered their score upon retaking the test. Of course, this may very well be attributed to a cluster of re-takers in December causing a stricter curve, thus again lending credence to the idea of taking in June. Take this with a grain of salt though, for these mere observations are meaningless conjecture considering the lack of comprehensive information.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:08 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:10 pm

kai90 wrote:
vtdelt wrote:
King of the North wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
King of the North wrote:Not to hijack this thread but it seems like you guys are willing to talk about anything with anyone lol, so I'm going to take advantage of that and ask a question or two.

Is applying in Dec. fine? Because I've been studying for a month and Dec. is when I plan on taking the test. That's not going to be "late" or a hindrance on my chance to get into schools/scholarships will it? Assuming, obviously, that my numbers and application check out fine.
Dec scores come out in January. I would consider that late, seeing as how you would completely miss out on the opportunity to apply for something like Northwestern's ED program which gives a 150k scholly. It won't kill a good app by any means, just not the most ideal timing
That's really frustrating. Why the hell is the test in December then if people have to wait until January to apply? In any event, my hope is that I can just submit or at least prepare all my application material and either have them waiting on my LSAT score or just be ready to submit my application the day they release scores. This really makes me mad. I think I would consider myself a splitter considering my GPA is a 3.5 and I'm shooting for at least a 168 so I have a chance at getting in and getting some money from Vanderbilt. If I can do that, I'm set.
I feel like the December test is really more of a "retake" option for people applying that cycle. They've already got a score under their belt and will send in apps and use the score they already have. If they want to get a higher score, they retake and December will replace their older score if it's better while keeping their time of submission of their application the same.
Your feeling is backed by data. An LSAC report (http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source ... -14-01.pdf) shows that "On
average, the percentage of first-time test takers was about 83% in June, 76% inSeptember/October, and 61% in both December and February." Personally, I would have thought that this would be a good indicator of when someone should take the test, meaning that people who are more experienced with the LSAT are probably going to perform better overall, therefore a June testing date would be ideal. However, when looking at data from the 2012-2013 cycle (http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source ... erdata.pdf) it seems that the vast majority of re-takers that initially received a score of 168 or higher actually lowered their score upon retaking the test. Of course, this may very well be attributed to a cluster of re-takers in December causing a stricter curve, thus again lending credence to the idea of taking in June. Take this with a grain of salt though, for these mere observations are meaningless conjecture considering the lack of comprehensive information.
That's not how the curve is set, it's based off of how people have performed on the questions when they were tested in experimental sections. And the scaled score percentiles are based off of a 3 year average.

kai90

New

Post by kai90 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:50 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
kai90 wrote:
vtdelt wrote:
King of the North wrote:
chargers21 wrote:

That's not how the curve is set, it's based off of how people have performed on the questions when they were tested in experimental sections. And the scaled score percentiles are based off of a 3 year average.
I hope you are right, I was aware of the 3 year average, but I thought that was calculated after determining the the performance of the test taker relative to the population of *insert month* testers. Is there any proof of the previously administered experimental sections results actually having a direct impact on scoring? I had read somewhere that it's possible that the scales may already be in place before the test date, but it seems like an attempt to discern the explicit impact of experimental data is not something which can actually be proven (unless someone has an insider track). I would love to see the LSAC bulletin which talks about this if you have access to it, if not I will categorize this as more meaningless conjecture.

Saylor1720

New

Post by Saylor1720 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:15 pm

LesPaul1995 wrote:Has anyone started studying for the September LSAT in case of a retake?
Haven't started studying. Waiting for release day. But I ordered all of my materials off amazon to be prepared.

NavyNuke

Bronze

Post by NavyNuke » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:45 pm

Last edited by NavyNuke on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:58 am

Speaking of why x, in your opinion is it counter productive to say that your goal is to work for international orgs instead of big law? I mean, would they be skeptical about the fact that you wouldn't help them increasing their BL placement, which is definitely the outcome that seems to impact the most their rankings and the willingness perspective students have to attend a school...
Maybe it's stupid, but I woke up with this question in mind!

LesPaul1995

Bronze

Post by LesPaul1995 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:08 am

It just dawned on me that the average increase in average LSAT score for the 2 retakes is ~2.5 points each, however since they are extending how many times you can take the LSAT, I wonder how many times you can retake until a point of diminishing returns takes place. We don't really have stats for this since the limit was three times in two years. This is interesting, and it's likely you will start to see people during their freshman years start prepping for the LSAT.

Amerision

Bronze

Post by Amerision » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:31 am

LesPaul1995 wrote:It just dawned on me that the average increase in average LSAT score for the 2 retakes is ~2.5 points each, however since they are extending how many times you can take the LSAT, I wonder how many times you can retake until a point of diminishing returns takes place. We don't really have stats for this since the limit was three times in two years. This is interesting, and it's likely you will start to see people during their freshman years start prepping for the LSAT.
I disagree. If that were to be the case, I think we'd see a lot more people max out their 3 takes. But obviously, that's not the norm. A lot of people are one-and-done or two-and-done, and I don't think that the removal of the cap will affect the vast majority of test takers.
Last edited by Amerision on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:03 am

chargers21 wrote:
Walliums wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Walliums wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Poor Tort. <3
What happened with tort??
The rubber band ball rolled back into the shadows from whence he came
But really, did he stress too much about the test/applying?
He was a stressed guy, but he killed the test, killed his app, and got a fully to the school of his dreams. Then he left us after months of grade A shitpoasting without any real warning
Did he end up deciding on UVA for sure? Last I read from him he was freaking TF out because he couldn't decide if he should pull his Yale app and just run with UVA or not

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”