June 2017 Waiters Thread- Grayday! -9 curve. GL all Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get? (Presumptive release day poll. Revolting enabled)

177+
6%
175+
4%
173+
15%
170+
17%
167+
19%
165+
11%
163+
10%
160+
6%
159 -
12%

Total votes: 143

rowdy

Bronze

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Grayday! -9 curve. GL all

Post by rowdy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:04 am

MediocreAtBest wrote:Really looking forward to it being a year from now and knowing where I'm going to be.
Get in the C/O 2021 thread!

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:04 pm

Just wanted to mention I am still waiting on the review for my fee waiver to complete and thus don't have my score yet. It's not too late, for me anyway, to hit 170 pages. ;)

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:20 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:Just wanted to mention I am still waiting on the review for my fee waiver to complete and thus don't have my score yet. It's not too late, for me anyway, to hit 170 pages. ;)
Ouch. Fingers still crossed for you!

DaydreamNation

Bronze

Post by DaydreamNation » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:22 pm

As it stands now the number of pages and the most-chosen poll response are the same...don't even try to fucking tell me that was a coincidence!!

bycron77

New

Post by bycron77 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:42 pm

DaydreamNation wrote:
calmike wrote:
DaydreamNation wrote:Okay sorry to post this again but I need serious help deciding whether to register for the September administration. My LSAC cart expires in about ten hours and if I lose this spot it means driving over an hour from my school to the next-closest test center.

I got a 168. PT average was ~164. Logic games is my worst section. Didn't get through all my prep materials.
Break down:
RC -3
LR1 -3
LG -3
LR2 -2

I am an extreme splitter with GPA below 3.0, but a very very strong grade trend in recent semesters, a very convincing reason for a GPA addendum, and decent softs. Help me please, thread!

Edit: GULC is my pie-in-the-sky dream school

How did you study for LR?

I got a 168 too but I had -9 in LR
LSAT Trainer.
DaydreamNation, as a lower scorer I may not have the right perspective for evaluating whether you should retake based on your score. Based on the info you gave, though, I wouldn't retake. You did better than your PT average by a decent amount. It's possible that your higher score was due to random variation from your average, in which case I definitely wouldn't take it again. Unless you think you can genuinely increase your LSAT skills/scoring potential by a significant amount by September, I wouldn't retake. The range of random variation in your score (which could easily be greater than the +/-3 that LSAT reports as your score band -- it's different for different people) is likely to go down rather than up (i.e., the ceiling effect). Look at your score breakdown. You're not more than -3 anywhere -- not a lot of room to go up. Do you really think that on every section you can get to a point where you will consistently score no lower than -0 or -1, without the strong possibility of varying into the range of -3 or more on a given test? I know there are people who score in the high 170s, but that is extremely rare and unattainable for the vast majority of people.

TLS gives a distorted notion of how high people score because it attracts tons of HYS-or-bust kind of people. Contrary to what many say here, your career as a lawyer is not doomed if you don't go to a T15 law school. Statistically, most good lawyers did not go to one of those schools. I work with lawyers every day who demonstrate that school reputation does not translate 1:1 to how good a lawyer you are. I work with a lawyer who went to an unimpressively ranked school who is constantly asked for advice by people who went to top, top law schools and respect her judgment and leadership, which are excellent. There is another lawyer here who went to a no-name school who I believe helped write, and had her name on, a Supreme Court brief.

Also, I don't know how/how much you studied, but I am guessing it was a lot. If by not getting through all your prep materials you mean you haven't taken 80 practice tests three times each (as I am sure some people here would mean), that is not an indication that you have a long way up to go. I really don't think you have to do every LSAT question ever released (or nearly every question) to know your score potential.

168 is a good score for Georgetown, but your chances may depend on how much lower than 3.0 you are. My sense is that Georgetown encourages some creativity in the personal statement (read their website) and is interested in getting a sense of what kind of person you are, so that could be an area that would boost your chances if you have something interesting to say. They encourage people who are at the lower end of the applicant pool, in particular, to take a risk on the PS. You've got nothing to lose.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:47 pm

DaydreamNation wrote:As it stands now the number of pages and the most-chosen poll response are the same...don't even try to fucking tell me that was a coincidence!!
Exactly, so we get to 170 pages, I get my score back and can officially I vote 170+, and it's a tie with 167. Maybe a lurker will break the tie and all will be balanced in the universe.

conker

Bronze

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread

Post by conker » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:04 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
HenryHankPalmer wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
HenryHankPalmer wrote:I'm late to the conversation on test day quirkiness, but I got seated next to a guy who wore a full suit, tie, and latex surgical gloves throughout the test. I'm sure that there might be a medical necessity for the gloves, but for the life of me I can't figure out what. I was mildly worried that he was a hitman. Also, an LSAT taking couple was in my testing center, talking about how they were gonna go to Harvard together. One of their parents came into the center to take a picture of them going into the room together. They looked and acted exactly how you are probably picturing them.
AWW THAT IS SO CUTE!! (about the couple, not the weird dude with gloves).
Glove guy wasn't bad looking either, I forgot to mention that.
...I'm tired of getting the "Anyone would be lucky to be with you but..." line... Fuck that, after 16 years of dating I've resigned myself to the fate that it's going to be just me and law school...
Ah

Experiment626

Silver

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread

Post by Experiment626 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:23 pm

conker wrote:
Ah

Applause for the trolling/necroing/wasting time. Not to mention editing down what I posted...

:roll:

ms9

Gold

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Post by ms9 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:29 pm

ugatvandy wrote:
InterLaw wrote:I was wondering, is it possible to apply ED to more than 1 school? It's maybe stupid, but I could like pick 3 schools, apply ED and as soon as one of them accepts me I could withdraw the other applications, am I wrong? (I probably am, but I wanted to hear why)

I just read Ann Levine's book, and from what I remember, law schools can tell where you've applied-- LSAC provides that information to them. So, theoretically, that's possible, but they're going to see that you don't *really* believe that they're your top pick and will treat your application as such.
FWIW, law schools can't tell where you applied. They can, indeed, tell where you have deposited, but not applied.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

conker

Bronze

Re: June 2017 Waiters Thread- Dowsing for gray

Post by conker » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:43 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
ugatvandy wrote:
InterLaw wrote:I was wondering, is it possible to apply ED to more than 1 school? It's maybe stupid, but I could like pick 3 schools, apply ED and as soon as one of them accepts me I could withdraw the other applications, am I wrong? (I probably am, but I wanted to hear why)

I just read Ann Levine's book, and from what I remember, law schools can tell where you've applied-- LSAC provides that information to them. So, theoretically, that's possible, but they're going to see that you don't *really* believe that they're your top pick and will treat your application as such.
FWIW, law schools can't tell where you applied. They can, indeed, tell where you have deposited, but not applied.
Can you withdraw an ED application?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”