Most efficient way to study (abnormal situation) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
quando

New

Most efficient way to study (abnormal situation)

Post by quando » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:55 pm

I am currently strapped for cash but will be able to invest in LSAT learning material in a few months. I am hoping to take the LSAT sometime next year. I have a lot of downtime at work but don't have any LSAT books nor can I really watch videos (with any diligence anyway) and I believe I work better with pen and paper anyway. I'm wary of wasting PT's before grasping the fundamentals so I don't want to go that route.

Judging from my one untimed PT, my main weaknesses are doing Logic Games faster (accuracy is there, but I take way too long with the questions) and for LR and RC, understanding why the questions I got wrong were wrong and why the right answer is right.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Re: Most efficient way to study (abnormal situation)

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:25 pm

The most bang for your buck prep wise is probably the LSAT Trainer which is $50 and the 10 actual LSAT books which are $20 each. That's what I'd probably start with if you're strapped for cash.

If you have a bit more $$$ you can also get PTs 72-80 which are about $8 each as well as some other prep books. Manhattan and Powerscore are both pretty popular, and so is 7sage but a package that will last from now until when you'll take the test will be pretty expensive.

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:43 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:The most bang for your buck prep wise is probably the LSAT Trainer which is $50 and the 10 actual LSAT books which are $20 each. That's what I'd probably start with if you're strapped for cash.

If you have a bit more $$$ you can also get PTs 72-80 which are about $8 each as well as some other prep books. Manhattan and Powerscore are both pretty popular, and so is 7sage but a package that will last from now until when you'll take the test will be pretty expensive.
+1; also, be on the lookout for clean PTs on ebay/craigslist. I was able to get close to every PT out there for about $80, iirc

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:39 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:The most bang for your buck prep wise is probably the LSAT Trainer which is $50 and the 10 actual LSAT books which are $20 each. That's what I'd probably start with if you're strapped for cash.

-1 Bought the trainer, and feel like I wasted $50. Personally hated the teaching method, and found it to be way over-hyped. I strongly recommend the LG Bible trilogy. Probably like $120 on amazon, but worth it. After that, buy the Official LSAT series as cash becomes available. I'm a big fan of Manhattan LR, too, but I don't think it's necessary, just a little different perspective compared to Powerscore.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:11 pm

Platopus wrote:

-1 Bought the trainer, and feel like I wasted $50. Personally hated the teaching method, and found it to be way over-hyped. I strongly recommend the LG Bible trilogy. Probably like $120 on amazon, but worth it. After that, buy the Official LSAT series as cash becomes available. I'm a big fan of Manhattan LR, too, but I don't think it's necessary, just a little different perspective compared to Powerscore.
Funny, I found the LG Bible to be a big disappointment while I found the Trainer to be a big help on LR and RC, especially in the beginning. Different strokes I guess. Regardless, the best overall program is IMHO 7Sage, but that doesn't really go well with OPs situation since it is relatively expensive when compared to book options.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:17 pm

You should look for PDFs of old tests on the internet. Through legal sources only of course.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

generic noob

New

Post by generic noob » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:36 am

These 7Sage videos are free: https://www.youtube.com/user/7sagelsat/videos

And then there was this one guy in an earlier thread selling his old preptests for pretty cheap.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:08 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:You should look for PDFs of old tests on the internet. Through legal sources only of course.
RE: this. obviously I'm not a lawyer, and as such, don't understand the intricacies of copyright law. So how does that work - is it legal to download PDFs of tests from free sources? Are certain free sources more legal than others? Does torrent vs straight download make a difference?

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:10 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Platopus wrote:

Funny, I found the LG Bible to be a big disappointment while I found the Trainer to be a big help on LR and RC, especially in the beginning. Different strokes I guess. Regardless, the best overall program is IMHO 7Sage, but that doesn't really go well with OPs situation since it is relatively expensive when compared to book options.
Third differing opinion. RC and LR improved significantly from the LSAT Trainer both in consistency and speed. LG Bible took me from -4 starting point to -0 in under two weeks. Granted, I probably could have gotten there on my own in LG with drilling (especially given my starting point), but the book helped give me a framework to develop my own method for games.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”