Bogged down from convoluted answer choices Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
anonposter6775

New

Bogged down from convoluted answer choices

Post by anonposter6775 » Sat May 27, 2017 5:07 pm

Do you guys have any tips on how to unravel complicated answer choices/RC passages? Sometime this language trips me up in a LR passage too.

I seem to miss questions where the correct answer is tangled amongst complex language.

Thanks!

pancakes3

Platinum

Re: Bogged down from convoluted answer choices

Post by pancakes3 » Sat May 27, 2017 6:08 pm

no tips. you just have to become a better reader.

zkyggi

Bronze

Post by zkyggi » Sat May 27, 2017 6:18 pm

I'm not even really sure what this means. Are you not understanding what you're being asked to answer, or are you just not able to find it?
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Sat May 27, 2017 6:21 pm

pancakes3 wrote:no tips. you just have to become a better reader.
Yeah, this is literally what RC is testing you on.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sat May 27, 2017 11:28 pm

I'll be a little nicer than the others and give you some broad tips for reading on the LSAT.

First, pay attention to scope. If we are talking about People in Country X Behavior Patterns, and the answer choices is referencing "All people" it's probably too broad.

Look for key words such as, ALWAYS, NEVER, CAN, SOME, MOST, etc. Everything in the AC needs to match the stim/stem.

For those confusing answers that are really abstract and only references things as "phenomenon" (etc.), you need to actually match it up to the point in the text.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

anonposter6775

New

Post by anonposter6775 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:59 pm

Platopus wrote:I'll be a little nicer than the others and give you some broad tips for reading on the LSAT.

First, pay attention to scope. If we are talking about People in Country X Behavior Patterns, and the answer choices is referencing "All people" it's probably too broad.

Look for key words such as, ALWAYS, NEVER, CAN, SOME, MOST, etc. Everything in the AC needs to match the stim/stem.

For those confusing answers that are really abstract and only references things as "phenomenon" (etc.), you need to actually match it up to the point in the text.
THanks

it's allgood

Bronze

Post by it's allgood » Sun May 28, 2017 8:06 am

anonposter6775 wrote:
Platopus wrote:I'll be a little nicer than the others and give you some broad tips for reading on the LSAT.

THanks
For LR, there are some questions where AC language & passage language may seem complicated but there is also one obvious thing done like an assumption and that will be an answer choice; however, the question will be asking for what must be true. Make sure you are clear on what the question is asking for because, in that case, the assumption answer choice would be wrong. There are usually at least a few like this on LR--so make sure you are answering the question that is asked. See PT 76, Section 4, Question 5 - asking for flawed presumption but choice D guarantees the conclusion (but this is not what is being asked) choice C is correct because this is what was the flawed presumption/assumption. See PT 76, Section 4, question 19 - choice D could be an assumption that was made but the question is asking what must be true and so A is the answer. My point is make sure to understand the passage you are reading and be aware of what question is being asked and to answer that question AND be aware of answer choices that would be correct if the question were different--they are there to trick you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”