151 LSAT --> Biglaw: some hope for those who are down Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Onetimer

New

151 LSAT --> Biglaw: some hope for those who are down

Post by Onetimer » Mon May 22, 2017 11:40 pm

I remember spending many hours in this forum when I was studying for the LSAT. I want to provide a "success" story for those who didn't nail the LSAT the first time, or the second or the third. I put the "success" in quotes because my future is uncertain and success is relative, but for some my story may be encouraging.

I started studying for the LSAT 9 years ago in the summer going into my senior year of college. I did the Kaplan course. My diagnostic was 147, which was disheartening. By the end of the class, my test scores were up to 160. I took the LSAT my senior year for the first time and scored a 151. I had a panic attack, had to leave the test room just so I could calm myself down. It was a disaster. I took it a second time later in my senior year. Scored a 156. Again, huge disappointment. I applied to law school with an undergrad in the social sciences/humanities. I was rejected nearly everywhere. I couldn't even get into the part time programs of schools whose full-time programs I once considered "safety schools." This was a low point, one many people on this forum have shared. I got into one school. I would have needed to pay sticker to attend. Like many of you, I had once considered myself one of the bright ones.

At the end of law school I took a risk I don't necessarily recommend.* I applied to graduate programs in the computer science and computer engineering fields. IP Lit seemed interesting. I didn't have a science background so my options were limited to weak programs that were willing to take my money in return for a degree. I was accepted to a program on the condition I performed well in the introductory classes. Over the course of 4+ years, I worked during the day in that field and took classes at night towards a masters degree, which I eventually completed. I got married. I studied for the LSAT throughout this time, took each practice test more than once. My practice tests reached the high 160s.

I took the LSAT again two years in and reached the 160s, although once again had the nerves. Later, I took the LSAT a fourth time and boosted my score a bit. From there, I applied and negotiated a 50%+ scholarship to a solid school (Wusl/BU/Fordham/Uwash/GW) in the city I wanted to live in. I made the top 10%, law review, had my pick of offers for Biglaw IP Lit and have been practicing for a couple years. The job is up and down but I mostly enjoy it. I never wanted to be an engineer so I don't regret (yet) not just getting a job as a programmer. I have a lot of debt. I don't have the best job security. I'm not sure where I'll be in a few years. Who knows if/when I'll be pushed out. I still consider myself relatively lucky.

I tell this story because there isn't just one way to reach your goals. I took that test 4 times and in my mind
I failed every time. Even when you think the world is ending, I promise you, it isn't.

*what worked for me may not work for others. My path is one of many possibilities. You do you.

Yugihoe

Silver

Re: 151 LSAT --> Biglaw: some hope for those who are down

Post by Yugihoe » Tue May 23, 2017 12:35 am

Glad it worked out for you, but most people should not take any of this as advice on what to do. If you can't get a good LSAT score, you shouldn't go to law school. Also, it's infinitely harder to make law review and be in the top 10% of your class, so most people who go to the type of school you went to, will most certainly not get big law.

Also, why didn't you stay in computer science? Why'd you go to gradschool for it while studying for the LSAT if you weren't interested in the field?

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue May 23, 2017 12:56 am

CPAn00b wrote:Glad it worked out for you, but most people should not take any of this as advice on what to do. If you can't get a good LSAT score, you shouldn't go to law school.
This x100. I love a good success story as much as the next guy but we already have enough people going to law school under poor circumstances who think they'll be that 1% of people who drastically outperform their expected employment.

For the vast majority of people law school is a terrible idea unless you at the bare minimum get $$ from a strong regional school or a T13 acceptance. And there's a great argument to be made that even that isn't enough.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue May 23, 2017 2:07 am

Onetimer wrote: I took that test 4 times
This part is legit advice though.

Onetimer

New

Post by Onetimer » Tue May 23, 2017 10:05 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
CPAn00b wrote:Glad it worked out for you, but most people should not take any of this as advice on what to do. If you can't get a good LSAT score, you shouldn't go to law school.

For the vast majority of people law school is a terrible idea unless you at the bare minimum get $$ from a strong regional school or a T13 acceptance. And there's a great argument to be made that even that isn't enough.
That's literally what I did and described above. I retook 4 times, got a good enough LSAT score to get $$ from a strong regional school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue May 23, 2017 1:19 pm

Onetimer wrote: That's literally what I did and described above. I retook 4 times, got a good enough LSAT score to get $$ from a strong regional school.
I think this is the takeaway point. You're not perfect, but you gave yourself the best shot at your goals. Not everyone can get a 170+, but it would be absolutely foolish to not maximize your LSAT score to get the best deal possible. Many people just take it once, get a crap score, and be like should I go to TTT or TTT at sticker when the obvious answer is to retake.

Congrats brother.

<----4 time taker as well

MaryKayConvention

New

Post by MaryKayConvention » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:28 pm

Agree with OP. Once you are in law school, no one -- NO ONE -- knows or cares about your LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”