Has the LSAT made you smarter? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Barack O'Drama

Gold

Re: Has the LSAT made you smarter?

Post by Barack O'Drama » Tue May 23, 2017 12:57 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
LesPaul1995 wrote:However, I think the other posters are mistaking me for what I am purporting. I am not saying that the LSAT is an iq test in that it does measure intelligence - "smart" in the discussed instance is defined as quick witted intelligence, and so to say that the LSAT does not at least prepare you to think more intuitively in the capacity of a lawyer is inaccurate (i.e. corporate litigation, drafting M&A deals that typically differ from one another). Do you really think it is a coincidence that the top schools who typically produce the brightest legal minds of today also happen to have a high lsat median and the worst schools just the opposite? I don't think it is a leap in logic to assume that at least some of these people in the process (especially the ones who have made a sizeable increase in their lsat score) have gotten smarter. This isn't a rhetorical btw.
No, just no. The LSAT doesn't teach you "to think more intuitively in the capacity of a lawyer" (which in itself doesn't make sense), and it doesn't make people smarter because more high LSAT people are at schools that select for high LSATs.
Precisely. How in the world can OP make such an egregious correlation/causation error and yet claim superior intelligence and mastery over the LSAT??? It kills people for making this exact mistake.
The irony...
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Tue May 23, 2017 1:02 am

CPAn00b wrote:
freekick wrote:
LesPaul1995 wrote:This is a viable occurrence that has progressed throughout my prep. 3 weeks out from the June LSAT and consistently PT'ing 177+, I have noticed that even everyday conversation/argumentation has changed DRASTICALLY. 6 months ago while with friends and family I would have gone along with everyday arguments/conversations, but I now find myself implicitly finding flaws in arguments, thinking in terms of what must or could be true in a situation, or otherwise thinking in constant logical reasoning terms. It is as if I have to find the correct answer to say before I say something, instead of before my prep of just going with something for the sake of it - like I'm finding the correct answer on a logical reasoning question, lol. I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this "side effect"? The LSAT really has the ability to change the way you think if you did not already think that way (or perhaps this is what becoming smart feels like lol)
IMV, the LSAT thinking isn't very different from how a reasonably smart person thinks. Studying for the LSAT structured my thought process so that I am now always aware of the numerous ways in which I can respond. Depending on the needs of a given situation, I am able to pick the appropriate response/line of thinking from the full array of options.

So certainly more efficienct and disciplined now. Smarter? Don't think so.

ITT: A bunch of people with aspergers
Don't just hit and run; pause and elaborate if you have a point. If you don't and want to simply foul-mouth, then let it be.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Tue May 23, 2017 11:05 am

People don't score high on the LSAT without some serious studying and preparation, and although it requires some intelligence, it's not the determining factor. I'm sure there are countless people who bang out a 160 and are smarter than 170s. So I don't think the kids at the best schools are necessarily the "smartest," but they are probably hard working. Plus getting significantly smarter in the 4-6 months it takes you to study for the LSAT is a bit of a leap.

LesPaul1995

Bronze

Post by LesPaul1995 » Tue May 23, 2017 3:16 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:People don't score high on the LSAT without some serious studying and preparation, and although it requires some intelligence, it's not the determining factor. I'm sure there are countless people who bang out a 160 and are smarter than 170s. So I don't think the kids at the best schools are necessarily the "smartest," but they are probably hard working. Plus getting significantly smarter in the 4-6 months it takes you to study for the LSAT is a bit of a leap.
Perhaps you are correct and the LSAT merely resurfaces a potentiality that was less evident or already there in the individual. However, I fail to see how this is any different than what I am already stating. Just because this occurrence may be how it permeates in 99% of people, but I still believe it has the potentiality for causation of becoming smarter, namely in the capacity of logical reasoning faculties associated with becoming a lawyer.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue May 23, 2017 4:07 pm

LesPaul1995 wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:People don't score high on the LSAT without some serious studying and preparation, and although it requires some intelligence, it's not the determining factor. I'm sure there are countless people who bang out a 160 and are smarter than 170s. So I don't think the kids at the best schools are necessarily the "smartest," but they are probably hard working. Plus getting significantly smarter in the 4-6 months it takes you to study for the LSAT is a bit of a leap.
Perhaps you are correct and the LSAT merely resurfaces a potentiality that was less evident or already there in the individual. However, I fail to see how this is any different than what I am already stating. Just because this occurrence may be how it permeates in 99% of people, but I still believe it has the potentiality for causation of becoming smarter, namely in the capacity of logical reasoning faculties associated with becoming a lawyer.
The way you speak makes me want to punch you in the face.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Tue May 23, 2017 6:02 pm

LesPaul1995 wrote:
I'm fairly certain that's not an actual sentence.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue May 23, 2017 6:04 pm

Pozzo wrote:
LesPaul1995 wrote:
So have we all agreed at this point that OP is either autistic or a troll?

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue May 23, 2017 6:09 pm

Pozzo wrote:
LesPaul1995 wrote:
So have we all agreed at this point that OP is either autistic or a troll?
If not a troll OP Also likes to shoplift

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3#p9634163

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:28 pm

Is there a standardized test that would make you a better writer?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sanzgo

New

Post by sanzgo » Tue May 23, 2017 7:00 pm

LesPaul1995 wrote:
potentiality.

even if we accept your premise, there's really no way of knowing. none of us can scientifically prove/disprove your claim. you can't objectively measure this kind of stuff like you can with math. so it really ends up being a waste of time. whatever discussion that arises from a hypothetical that cannot be resolved except by "feelings", conjectures, anecdotes, etc. is hardly going to get you closer to whatever truth you were seeking. unless you were just hoping for a circlejerk thread where we make ourselves feel good for having studied the lsat ;;

that aside, if there's anyone who can benefit from this thread, it's you. hopefully by now, this thread has helped you become aware of the insufferable way in which you think and speak. this increased self-awareness, if you put it to good use, should help you with oci and making friends in ls.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue May 23, 2017 7:04 pm

sanzgo wrote:
LesPaul1995 wrote:
potentiality.

even if we accept your premise, there's really no way of knowing. none of us can scientifically prove/disprove your claim. you can't objectively measure this kind of stuff like you can with math. so it really ends up being a waste of time. whatever discussion that arises from a hypothetical that cannot be resolved except by "feelings", conjectures, anecdotes, etc. is hardly going to get you closer to whatever truth you were seeking. unless you were just hoping for a circlejerk thread where we make ourselves feel good for having studied the lsat ;;

that aside, if there's anyone who can benefit from this thread, it's you. hopefully by now, this thread has helped you become aware of the insufferable way in which you think and speak. this increased self-awareness, if you put it to good use, should help you with oci and making friends in ls.
I'm honestly surprised OP is still coming back to this thread - they copy-pasted the exact same thing on reddit with the exact same username and it basically did turn into a feel-good 'we're smarter b/c we studied LSAT' circle jerk over there.

Just more evidence that the LSAT subreddit is sub 160 compared to TLS

claireosaurus-rex

New

Post by claireosaurus-rex » Tue May 23, 2017 7:21 pm

Studying for the LSAT can definitely change the way you think.
http://news.berkeley.edu/2012/08/22/int ... structure/

#micdrop

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue May 23, 2017 7:31 pm

claireosaurus-rex wrote:Studying for the LSAT can definitely change the way you think.
http://news.berkeley.edu/2012/08/22/int ... structure/

#micdrop
I don't think that article means what you think it means.

It shows that test prep can alter brain pathways, but that doesn't mean it makes you smarter. The article even goes on to say that essentially you game IQ tests by doing this sort of thing, so they aren't a reliable indicator of intelligence or 'smartness'. Here's your mic back.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue May 23, 2017 7:38 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LesPaul1995

Bronze

Post by LesPaul1995 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:33 pm

sanzgo wrote:
LesPaul1995 wrote:
potentiality.

I'm honestly surprised OP is still coming back to this thread - they copy-pasted the exact same thing on reddit with the exact same username and it basically did turn into a feel-good 'we're smarter b/c we studied LSAT' circle jerk over there.

Just more evidence that the LSAT subreddit is sub 160 compared to TLS
You mean the thread you deleted your posts in because they were objectively flawed?
Last edited by LesPaul1995 on Tue May 23, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Impressionist

Bronze

Post by Impressionist » Tue May 23, 2017 8:42 pm

Playing devils advocate here, but i suppose a question worth asking is 'does learning new things make you smarter?'

I think most people would agree they learned some new stuff studying for the LSAT. For example I learned a lot about conditional reasoning that I previously did not know and I fully expect to maintain a basic understanding of conditional reasoning for the rest of my life. Further, while reading through hundreds of RC passages I definitely learned some random interesting things (who would have thought you'd learn so much about the dancing of bees studying for the LSAT!).

Whether or not actual pathways in the brain are changed to make us better thinkers I can't say, but all the work making inferences in games and the critical-thinking required for LR questions can't hurt I imagine.

Either way, who cares. Nobody should study for the LSAT to get smart; they should study it to go to law school. If you learn some neat stuff in the process, cool.

MaryKayConvention

New

Post by MaryKayConvention » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:27 pm

No. Just richer (scholarship $$$).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NYCounsel

New

Post by NYCounsel » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:33 pm

MaryKayConvention wrote:No. Just richer (scholarship $$$).
This. Except not richer. Just happy I'll be debt-free with a JD. At most I'll take out maybe 10K for non-tuition expenses.

MaryKayConvention

New

Post by MaryKayConvention » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:36 pm

NYCounsel wrote:
MaryKayConvention wrote:No. Just richer (scholarship $$$).
This. Except not richer. Just happy I'll be debt-free with a JD. At most I'll take out maybe 10K for non-tuition expenses.

Yeah that's what I meant. Should have said "improved net worth."

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:15 pm

Why was this cancerous thread bumped?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”