Has the LSAT made you smarter? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LesPaul1995

Bronze

Has the LSAT made you smarter?

Post by LesPaul1995 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:58 pm

This is a viable occurrence that has progressed throughout my prep. 3 weeks out from the June LSAT and consistently PT'ing 177+, I have noticed that even everyday conversation/argumentation has changed DRASTICALLY. 6 months ago while with friends and family I would have gone along with everyday arguments/conversations, but I now find myself implicitly finding flaws in arguments, thinking in terms of what must or could be true in a situation, or otherwise thinking in constant logical reasoning terms. It is as if I have to find the correct answer to say before I say something, instead of before my prep of just going with something for the sake of it - like I'm finding the correct answer on a logical reasoning question, lol. I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this "side effect"? The LSAT really has the ability to change the way you think if you did not already think that way (or perhaps this is what becoming smart feels like lol)

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Re: Has the LSAT made you smarter?

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Sun May 21, 2017 12:09 am

I don't think this is an indication of you becoming 'smarter'. It honestly sounds like you've just started being a dick.

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Sun May 21, 2017 12:12 am

I'm definitely more aware of my total inability to do logic games, if that counts as intelligence.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sun May 21, 2017 12:30 am

Nah, always thought like this. Most people are pretty dumb, and it's obvious. Not saying I'm a genius or immune to any of it myself, just saying the revelation that people say stupid shit didn't come from studying the LSAT.

Also, remember, the LSAT constrains us from making some otherwise pretty common sense assumptions that would hold in the real world. Being good at the LSAT is not really an indication of intelligence.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Sun May 21, 2017 12:37 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:I don't think this is an indication of you becoming 'smarter'. It honestly sounds like you've just started being a dick.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Sun May 21, 2017 12:41 am

Last edited by Veil of Ignorance on Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Sun May 21, 2017 12:54 am

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Sun May 21, 2017 1:05 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:I don't think this is an indication of you becoming 'smarter'. It honestly sounds like you've just started being a dick.

:lol:
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Post by tuna_wasabi » Sun May 21, 2017 1:35 am

Jack_Kelly wrote:I'm definitely more aware of my total inability to do logic games, if that counts as intelligence.
Ay mate, you are not alone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sun May 21, 2017 10:07 am

I wouldn't say it has made me smarter.. But I will say that it has made me more attentive to details and being more cautious with certain words. That's about it, though.

DragonWell

New

Post by DragonWell » Sun May 21, 2017 10:15 am

LesPaul1995 wrote:This is a viable occurrence that has progressed throughout my prep. 3 weeks out from the June LSAT and consistently PT'ing 177+, I have noticed that even everyday conversation/argumentation has changed DRASTICALLY. 6 months ago while with friends and family I would have gone along with everyday arguments/conversations, but I now find myself implicitly finding flaws in arguments, thinking in terms of what must or could be true in a situation, or otherwise thinking in constant logical reasoning terms. It is as if I have to find the correct answer to say before I say something, instead of before my prep of just going with something for the sake of it - like I'm finding the correct answer on a logical reasoning question, lol. I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this "side effect"? The LSAT really has the ability to change the way you think if you did not already think that way (or perhaps this is what becoming smart feels like lol)
I agree. I definitely am getting much better. Also, I heard intense study may help you fend off Alzheimers.
However, I also remind myself, that "Charming is nonsense. Nonsense is charming"--just watch Breakfast at Tiffany's . So I try not to be dick, lol.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sun May 21, 2017 10:21 am

LesPaul1995 wrote:This is a viable occurrence that has progressed throughout my prep. 3 weeks out from the June LSAT and consistently PT'ing 177+, I have noticed that even everyday conversation/argumentation has changed DRASTICALLY. 6 months ago while with friends and family I would have gone along with everyday arguments/conversations, but I now find myself implicitly finding flaws in arguments, thinking in terms of what must or could be true in a situation, or otherwise thinking in constant logical reasoning terms. It is as if I have to find the correct answer to say before I say something, instead of before my prep of just going with something for the sake of it - like I'm finding the correct answer on a logical reasoning question, lol. I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this "side effect"? The LSAT really has the ability to change the way you think if you did not already think that way (or perhaps this is what becoming smart feels like lol)
This definitely happened to me, though in my new found risk aversion in conversation I'm not going to say that indicates anyone is smarter, just more reserved in conversation (and some would probably say boring)

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun May 21, 2017 10:39 am

Creation of this thread is proof you're not smarter

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Sun May 21, 2017 10:42 am

Nebby wrote:Creation of this thread is proof you're not smarter
In b4 OP 160s June and comes back asking about a retake

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Sun May 21, 2017 12:52 pm

IMV, the LSAT thinking isn't very different from how a reasonably smart person thinks. Studying for the LSAT structured my thought process so that I am now always aware of the numerous ways in which I can respond. Depending on the needs of a given situation, I am able to pick the appropriate response/line of thinking from the full array of options.

So certainly more efficienct and disciplined now. Smarter? Don't think so.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Sun May 21, 2017 3:20 pm

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Sun May 21, 2017 3:22 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
:lol:
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Sun May 21, 2017 3:24 pm

Nope. He won't be able to retake due to his oh so unique circumstances that preclude him from ever taking the test again.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Sun May 21, 2017 8:07 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Nope. He won't be able to retake due to his oh so unique circumstances that preclude him from ever taking the test again.
QFP haha

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Sun May 21, 2017 8:14 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
QFP haha
Does that make OP Ferrisjo reincarnated?

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:31 am

If anything it has forced me to read and feign an interest concerning topics I would have never considered interesting in the past. For example I now know more about Native American oral traditions than I ever thought I would, but I wouldn't necessarily say I'm smarter because of that lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LesPaul1995

Bronze

Post by LesPaul1995 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:14 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
This definitely happened to me, though in my new found risk aversion in conversation I'm not going to say that indicates anyone is smarter, just more reserved in conversation (and some would probably say boring)
I too have noticed this risk aversion, and I guess since I have noticeably started thinking differently. I generally stay quiet now instead of pointing out flaws to negate the risk of sounding like, many of the commenters in this thread believe, I'm a dick.
However, I think the other posters are mistaking me for what I am purporting. I am not saying that the LSAT is an iq test in that it does measure intelligence - "smart" in the discussed instance is defined as quick witted intelligence, and so to say that the LSAT does not at least prepare you to think more intuitively in the capacity of a lawyer is inaccurate (i.e. corporate litigation, drafting M&A deals that typically differ from one another). Do you really think it is a coincidence that the top schools who typically produce the brightest legal minds of today also happen to have a high lsat median and the worst schools just the opposite? I don't think it is a leap in logic to assume that at least some of these people in the process (especially the ones who have made a sizeable increase in their lsat score) have gotten smarter. This isn't a rhetorical btw.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon May 22, 2017 8:35 pm

LesPaul1995 wrote:However, I think the other posters are mistaking me for what I am purporting. I am not saying that the LSAT is an iq test in that it does measure intelligence - "smart" in the discussed instance is defined as quick witted intelligence, and so to say that the LSAT does not at least prepare you to think more intuitively in the capacity of a lawyer is inaccurate (i.e. corporate litigation, drafting M&A deals that typically differ from one another). Do you really think it is a coincidence that the top schools who typically produce the brightest legal minds of today also happen to have a high lsat median and the worst schools just the opposite? I don't think it is a leap in logic to assume that at least some of these people in the process (especially the ones who have made a sizeable increase in their lsat score) have gotten smarter. This isn't a rhetorical btw.
No, just no. The LSAT doesn't teach you "to think more intuitively in the capacity of a lawyer" (which in itself doesn't make sense), and it doesn't make people smarter because more high LSAT people are at schools that select for high LSATs.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Mon May 22, 2017 9:10 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
LesPaul1995 wrote:However, I think the other posters are mistaking me for what I am purporting. I am not saying that the LSAT is an iq test in that it does measure intelligence - "smart" in the discussed instance is defined as quick witted intelligence, and so to say that the LSAT does not at least prepare you to think more intuitively in the capacity of a lawyer is inaccurate (i.e. corporate litigation, drafting M&A deals that typically differ from one another). Do you really think it is a coincidence that the top schools who typically produce the brightest legal minds of today also happen to have a high lsat median and the worst schools just the opposite? I don't think it is a leap in logic to assume that at least some of these people in the process (especially the ones who have made a sizeable increase in their lsat score) have gotten smarter. This isn't a rhetorical btw.
No, just no. The LSAT doesn't teach you "to think more intuitively in the capacity of a lawyer" (which in itself doesn't make sense), and it doesn't make people smarter because more high LSAT people are at schools that select for high LSATs.
Precisely. How in the world can OP make such an egregious correlation/causation error and yet claim superior intelligence and mastery over the LSAT??? It kills people for making this exact mistake.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Tue May 23, 2017 12:42 am

freekick wrote:
IMV, the LSAT thinking isn't very different from how a reasonably smart person thinks. Studying for the LSAT structured my thought process so that I am now always aware of the numerous ways in which I can respond. Depending on the needs of a given situation, I am able to pick the appropriate response/line of thinking from the full array of options.

So certainly more efficienct and disciplined now. Smarter? Don't think so.

ITT: A bunch of people with aspergers

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”