Introducing myself and seeking advice Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
King of the North

Bronze

Introducing myself and seeking advice

Post by King of the North » Wed May 17, 2017 6:32 pm

Hello all,

Today will be my very first day of studying for the LSAT. I took the June 2007 test last night and got a 153. Trying to get some feedback, advice, etc. And of course, wanting to introduce myself.

I live in Tennessee and work at a law firm here as a lobbyist. I'll have been at the job for one year on June 1. Graduated from college in 2015. I majored in English, with a concentration in writing, and minored in political science. My ugpa was a 3.5.

I'm shooting for Vanderbilt Law School, though I'd certainly go to a better school if I was accepted and offered scholarships. I'm planning on taking the LSAT this December and am trying to make sure I properly prepare for the test. From what I've read/seen, a 166 or above would be good enough to get into Vanderbilt. What do you guys think? Any questions you have for me that will help you better assess my situation? And advice for studying right off the bat? I work full time 8-5 M-F. My plan is to study a minimum of 3 hours each weekday and a minimum of 8 hours on Saturday and 8 on Sunday as well.

Thanks for the help.

maybeman

Bronze

Re: Introducing myself and seeking advice

Post by maybeman » Wed May 17, 2017 6:42 pm

The best study tools are 7Sage, The LSAT Trainer, and the Powerscore Bibles for LR and LG. I recommend starting with 7Sage. If you prefer reading as opposed to watching video explanations, then PS will be better. No other advice at this point because it's so early in your prep except you should shoot higher than 166. Your diagnostic isn't phenomenal, but it's good, and tons of (hard working) people have scored in the high 170's starting where you are. Good luck!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Wed May 17, 2017 6:50 pm

Welcome!

First, a 153 is a respectable diagnostic and you should have no problem hitting 166. I would suspect you can even hit 170+ if you really put in the work. This test is very learnable. We can help you better if you post your score break down for each section from your diagnostic. For example, missing 20 questions in the Analytical Reasoning (Logic Game) section, but only missing 3-4 questions in the other sections would tell us alot about your ability to improve, as LG is usually everyone's worse section.

To break it out pretty simply: you'll want to buy the Powerscore Logic Game Bible, Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible, Manhattan Logical Reasoning and Manhattan Reading Comp books, others would also suggest the LSAT trainer. Universally though, Powerscore is the gold standard for LG and Manhattan and Powerscore each have their share of followers for the other sections. Additionally, you'll want to buy every "Actual LSAT" series available, including all the individual tests from the most recent administrations.

Usually, we recommend you read through the Powerscore bible first and really just try to grasp the material. Once you feel comfortable with the material, take the tests 1-40 and divide them into their sections. Do all the LG from those tests. If you have trouble with any games, utilize 7Sage's free youtube videos. They are explanations for how to "set up" and complete these "games". Once you have some comfort with LG, start Logical reasoning, again, after you feel comfortable with the material, start doing some of these sections. Same for RC. At first DO NOT time yourself, work on understanding the material. Once you can complete a section with no more than 2 - 3 incorrect answers, start doing them timed.

Down the road, you'll want to do full practice tests, but that's still a bit down the road. Generally, accuracy is your first concern, then timing, then consistency and stamina.

best of luck

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Wed May 17, 2017 7:18 pm

Platopus wrote:Welcome!

First, a 153 is a respectable diagnostic and you should have no problem hitting 166. I would suspect you can even hit 170+ if you really put in the work. This test is very learnable. We can help you better if you post your score break down for each section from your diagnostic. For example, missing 20 questions in the Analytical Reasoning (Logic Game) section, but only missing 3-4 questions in the other sections would tell us alot about your ability to improve, as LG is usually everyone's worse section.

To break it out pretty simply: you'll want to buy the Powerscore Logic Game Bible, Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible, Manhattan Logical Reasoning and Manhattan Reading Comp books, others would also suggest the LSAT trainer. Universally though, Powerscore is the gold standard for LG and Manhattan and Powerscore each have their share of followers for the other sections. Additionally, you'll want to buy every "Actual LSAT" series available, including all the individual tests from the most recent administrations.

Usually, we recommend you read through the Powerscore bible first and really just try to grasp the material. Once you feel comfortable with the material, take the tests 1-40 and divide them into their sections. Do all the LG from those tests. If you have trouble with any games, utilize 7Sage's free youtube videos. They are explanations for how to "set up" and complete these "games". Once you have some comfort with LG, start Logical reasoning, again, after you feel comfortable with the material, start doing some of these sections. Same for RC. At first DO NOT time yourself, work on understanding the material. Once you can complete a section with no more than 2 - 3 incorrect answers, start doing them timed.

Down the road, you'll want to do full practice tests, but that's still a bit down the road. Generally, accuracy is your first concern, then timing, then consistency and stamina.

best of luck
I'm having trouble understanding which section is which type as far as my scores go. Do you know which one is which? I did my grading on the 7sage website but I'm confused.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed May 17, 2017 8:55 pm

King of the North wrote:
Platopus wrote:Welcome!

best of luck
I'm having trouble understanding which section is which type as far as my scores go. Do you know which one is which? I did my grading on the 7sage website but I'm confused.
LG are logic games, where you get a series of propositions that leads to a series of questions designed to make you logically deduct things not directly stated. RC is reading comprehension, which is where you read a short passage, followed by several questions about what the passage said and the best response to the question asked. And LR is logical reasoning, which will give a paragraph or two that a question or two will derive from. They should be pretty readily apparent in looking at the types of questions asked.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Wed May 17, 2017 9:46 pm

Platopus wrote:First, a 153 is a respectable diagnostic and you should have no problem hitting 166.
This. 153 was my exact diagnostic (on the same test) and I'm currently PTing around 169.

tanes25

New

Post by tanes25 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:45 am

I would go with 7Sage and The LSAT Trainer. They work really well together but I would complete 7Sage first and use The LSAT Trainer if still shaky on some things. I wouldn't be so quick to purchase so many things just starting off because you may not need them and you may confuse yourself with all the different strategies. 7Sage has a 14 day money back guarantee if you're not satisfied. See if Barnes & Nobles (or is it Books a Million on Broadway?? Not far from Vandy) has The LSAT Trainer and skim through to see how you like it before purchasing. If you don't have access to all the PT 7Sage may be the cheapest route because you have unlimited prints of the PT (not all. Depends on the pkg you choose) along with the curriculum. Purchasing the 10 series books probably won't be that expensive but you'll have to pay for all the copies. If you follow 7Sage's fool proof method for LG you'll need 10 copies each so that's something to think about. Even if you don't decide to go with 7Sage get familiar with their blind review (BR) method. You will see the majority of your gains from BR. Try googling it or it may even be offered in the free portions of the site. If you don't find it just ask for someone to provide a thorough breakdown in their forum. Once you start PT do NOT skimp on BR. May sure you BR your diagnostic test before going into another PT. And 153 is an awesome diagnostic! I know ppl that scored 153 after studying! Also, 7Sage recommends 20 hrs a week prep time.

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Thu May 18, 2017 10:20 am

Thanks for all the feedback. This is really helpful. I've decided to begin studying LR in the LSAT trainer book first, since it's the book that I already own because someone gave it to me. I figured out what my scores were for each individual section on the June 2007 test. Here they are:

14/23 on Logic Games

15/25 on Logical Reasoning

20/25 on Logical Reasoning

17/27 on Reading Comprehension

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu May 18, 2017 6:39 pm

King of the North wrote:Thanks for all the feedback. This is really helpful. I've decided to begin studying LR in the LSAT trainer book first, since it's the book that I already own because someone gave it to me. I figured out what my scores were for each individual section on the June 2007 test. Here they are:

14/23 on Logic Games

15/25 on Logical Reasoning

20/25 on Logical Reasoning

17/27 on Reading Comprehension
Pretty consistent across the board. Keep in mind, as you progress further into studying, you'll want to keep records of your misses so you can get idea of where you continue to struggle week after week.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”