Low scorer desperate for help ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Walliums

Silver

Re: Low scorer desperate for help ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by Walliums » Tue May 16, 2017 9:50 am

Mikey wrote:
anonposter6775 wrote: I'll try listening to the podcast tonight before bed -- if you have any favorite episodes, that'd be great. Just got off the phone with LSAC, and I can retake in December. There was just a change in policy and the taking the test three times rule is out. So, no need to postpone the test. If I don't get into the school of choice, I'll retake in September/December.
I don't think the 3 times every 2 years rule is out, you most likely can just take it a 4th time in December because maybe your first take was December 2015?

again though, you plan to apply to a school with a June score to enter school in the fall, is this correct??
Actually I just called them as well and they said now you can take it as many times as you want... they are in the process of updating the website

anonposter6775

New

Post by anonposter6775 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:21 am

Mikey wrote:
anonposter6775 wrote: I'll try listening to the podcast tonight before bed -- if you have any favorite episodes, that'd be great. Just got off the phone with LSAC, and I can retake in December. There was just a change in policy and the taking the test three times rule is out. So, no need to postpone the test. If I don't get into the school of choice, I'll retake in September/December.
I don't think the 3 times every 2 years rule is out, you most likely can just take it a 4th time in December because maybe your first take was December 2015?

again though, you plan to apply to a school with a June score to enter school in the fall, is this correct??

edit: sorry, you are right, there was a change in policy. wow!

I have already applied. However, if I don't get my desired score, waiting another year won't be the end of the world. I just want to get my legal career started as soon as possible.

The policy just changed (like this week). So, now I have no reason to reschedule the test. I might as well take it and see what my score is.
Last edited by anonposter6775 on Tue May 16, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue May 16, 2017 10:40 am

anonposter6775 wrote: I have already applied and have personal relationships with high-ranking faculty members at my school of choice. However, if I don't get my desired score, waiting another year won't be the end of the world. I just want to get my legal career started as soon as possible.

The policy just changed (like this week). So, now I have no reason to reschedule the test. I might as well take it and see what my score is.
Your legal career starts with a job, not with law school. Unless you have a family member who's a named partner or something similar, your current trajectory doesn't bode well for the school -> employment transition. You clearly have a school in mind - does law school numbers suggest you can get admitted, and what does law school transparency say about your estimated debt burden and job prospects?

You have a decent GPA. For the best long-term outcome as a lawyer, you should take the time to master the LSAT and start school next fall. That's the advice you have repeatedly received from others who have been in your shoes. If you don't want to take the advice, it's squarely on you.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Tue May 16, 2017 11:26 am

albanach wrote:
Your legal career starts with a job, not with law school. Unless you have a family member who's a named partner or something similar, your current trajectory doesn't bode well for the school -> employment transition. You clearly have a school in mind - does law school numbers suggest you can get admitted, and what does law school transparency say about your estimated debt burden and job prospects?

You have a decent GPA. For the best long-term outcome as a lawyer, you should take the time to master the LSAT and start school next fall. That's the advice you have repeatedly received from others who have been in your shoes. If you don't want to take the advice, it's squarely on you.
This.

We don't know what your target school is or what your career goals are, but you have received some solid advice. If you understand the implications of the direction you're heading in, then fine, that's your prerogative and I hope it works out for you. However, you're sitting on some potential that people on here don't want to see you waste because a)you're making your path to a legal career much harder, and b)potentially facing life-altering debt. That's all it boils down to.

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:51 am

albanach wrote:
anonposter6775 wrote: I have already applied and have personal relationships with high-ranking faculty members at my school of choice. However, if I don't get my desired score, waiting another year won't be the end of the world. I just want to get my legal career started as soon as possible.

Couldn't agree with this more

I applied this past cycle with a similar gpa and a slightly above average LSAT, and even though I got into a good number of schools with scholarships, Im still taking a year off to retake. One of the worst things you can do is rush into law school. Its expensive as hell and jobs are not guaranteed, so I recommend doing your research, finding out what it takes to get into a few schools you'd like to attend (that give you a good chance of getting a job once you graduate), and not applying to said schools until you can get the LSAT score necessary to get in. Waiting sucks, taking a year or years off sucks, but at the end of the day it is worth it. There are many people on this site alone that were in a similar situation to you, took a year off, and are now at excellent schools with fantastic job prospects.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue May 16, 2017 11:56 am

OP if you tell us your school of choice we can tell you just how bad of an idea this is.

anonposter6775

New

Post by anonposter6775 » Tue May 16, 2017 12:03 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:OP if you tell us your school of choice we can tell you just how bad of an idea this is.

I have applied to a number of schools in the SEC.

Mizzou, Arkansas, Ole Miss, South Carolina, etc.

Mizzou is the highest ranked school I applied

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue May 16, 2017 12:07 pm

anonposter6775 wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:OP if you tell us your school of choice we can tell you just how bad of an idea this is.

I hate to say this but I'm smelling troll. The fact that a school is in the SEC has NOTHING to do with whether they have a quality law school or not. That's a sports conference, that's it! If you truly believe that being in the SEC is a + for a law school, perhaps you lack the critical thinking that will be required to succeed in law school and on the LSAT.

anonposter6775

New

Post by anonposter6775 » Tue May 16, 2017 12:09 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
anonposter6775 wrote:

I hate to say this but I'm smelling troll. The fact that a school is in the SEC has NOTHING to do with whether they have a quality law school or not. That's a sports conference, that's it! If you truly believe that being in the SEC is a + for a law school, perhaps you lack the critical thinking that will be required to succeed in law school and on the LSAT.

You are one miserable person.....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anonposter6775

New

Post by anonposter6775 » Tue May 16, 2017 12:12 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
anonposter6775 wrote:

I never said it was a +, smart @ss. I just was telling where I have sought admission. You're the troll.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue May 16, 2017 12:18 pm

Are you absorbing the material? It seems that possibly you are just going though the questions or the prep books without grasping the underlying concepts.

I would focus on one question type until I understood it throughly.

anonposter6775

New

Post by anonposter6775 » Tue May 16, 2017 12:20 pm

Npret wrote:Are you absorbing the material? It seems that possibly you are just going though the questions or the prep books without grasping the underlying concepts.

Thanks, that is what I am doing today. I plan on drilling specific questions types all week with two practice tests sprinkled per week until test day.
Thoughts?

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue May 16, 2017 12:24 pm

anonposter6775 wrote:
Npret wrote:Are you absorbing the material? It seems that possibly you are just going though the questions or the prep books without grasping the underlying concepts.

Thanks, that is what I am doing today. I plan on drilling specific questions types all week with two practice tests sprinkled per week until test day.
Thoughts?
How effective have the practice tests been at helping you prepare? It sounds like you need to focus on the question types and get them down. The practice tests are good for identifying weaknesses but you can't improve until you work in those weaknesses.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

anonposter6775

New

Post by anonposter6775 » Tue May 16, 2017 12:27 pm

Npret wrote:
anonposter6775 wrote:

Thoughts?
How effective have the practice tests been at helping you prepare? It sounds like you need to focus on the question types and get them down. The practice tests are good for identifying weaknesses but you can't improve until you work in those weaknesses.
They are pretty effective, but I find myself gaining points after doings lots of drills on specific questions.
I have nailed down a few weaknesses, and I plan on focusing on them until test day.
I want to keep taking PT's, but maybe I will take one a week instead of two.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue May 16, 2017 12:30 pm

anonposter6775 wrote:
Npret wrote:
anonposter6775 wrote:

Thoughts?
They are pretty effective, but I find myself gaining points after doings lots of drills on specific questions.
I have nailed down a few weaknesses, and I plan on focusing on them until test day.
Yeah maybe it depends on how quickly you can progress. You must have seen a ton of questions by this point. I bet you can improve fast if you really concentrate on learning the question types that are throwing you.

anonposter6775

New

Post by anonposter6775 » Tue May 16, 2017 12:35 pm

Npret wrote:
anonposter6775 wrote:
Npret wrote:
anonposter6775 wrote:

Thoughts?
Yeah maybe it depends on how quickly you can progress. You must have seen a ton of questions by this point. I bet you can improve fast if you really concentrate on learning the question types that are throwing you.
That is the goal! Thanks for the kind advice -- much appreciated and good luck with your legal aspirations.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue May 16, 2017 5:31 pm

anonposter6775 wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
anonposter6775 wrote:

I never said it was a +, smart @ss. I just was telling where I have sought admission. You're the troll.
Saying you are applying to SEC schools gives us no idea what kind of schools you are applying to besides a very general geography. SEC ranges from good, solid regionals (Florida) to absolute trash schools. It was a stupid category to use.

Why I think you're a troll? You refuse to retake and sit out a cycle, saying its impossible when it certainly is not and is in your best interests. You are trying to take the June LSAT for admittance this fall. You don't seem to care about employment statistics or scholarships. You completely ignore all the people telling you how bad of an idea it is for you to go to law school this fall. You also took an extremely long time studying while still receiving middling results. All of these things are very typical of trolls here on TLS.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Tue May 16, 2017 6:46 pm

anonposter6775 wrote: However, if I don't get my desired score, waiting another year won't be the end of the world.
Very glad to see this post, good job OP.

anonposter6775

New

Post by anonposter6775 » Tue May 16, 2017 6:47 pm

Platopus wrote:
anonposter6775 wrote: However, if I don't get my desired score, waiting another year won't be the end of the world.

But..... if I do get into my first choice, I'm packing my bags! :D

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Tue May 16, 2017 6:50 pm

anonposter6775 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

Fair enough, if you're comfortable with a certain amount of debt and the job prospects from a given school it's your call.

anonposter6775

New

Post by anonposter6775 » Tue May 16, 2017 6:58 pm

Platopus wrote:
anonposter6775 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

Fair enough, if you're comfortable with a certain amount of debt and the job prospects from a given school it's your call.

How does one tap into the potential job prospects?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Tue May 16, 2017 8:56 pm

anonposter6775 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
anonposter6775 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

https://www.lstreports.com/schools/

Should let you know what to expect from any given school. Assume you are dead average, and have the mean outcome. Those are the job prospects
Last edited by Platopus on Tue May 16, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue May 16, 2017 8:59 pm

anonposter6775 wrote:
Platopus wrote:
anonposter6775 wrote:
Platopus wrote:

Law school transparency

hushpuppy

New

Post by hushpuppy » Wed May 17, 2017 1:10 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Any law schools that will let you apply with a June LSAT for Fall 2017 are not worth going to, not even for free. You can always put off law school, but you can never redo it and having a JD from a TTTT garbage school is worse than not having one in the first place. Wait tables, work at McDonalds, do anything while actually learning the LSAT vs. just taking PTs and sit in September/December and go to a solid regional at worst.

Which schools exactly are you considering?
Wait, Slippin' Jimmy (love Better Call Saul!), can you please elaborate on this?

What's the deal with the June LSAT? How is it inferior to the Sep LSAT, etc?

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Wed May 17, 2017 1:20 pm

hushpuppy wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Any law schools that will let you apply with a June LSAT for Fall 2017 are not worth going to, not even for free. You can always put off law school, but you can never redo it and having a JD from a TTTT garbage school is worse than not having one in the first place. Wait tables, work at McDonalds, do anything while actually learning the LSAT vs. just taking PTs and sit in September/December and go to a solid regional at worst.

Which schools exactly are you considering?
Wait, Slippin' Jimmy (love Better Call Saul!), can you please elaborate on this?

What's the deal with the June LSAT? How is it inferior to the Sep LSAT, etc?
Not to speak for him, but I don't think he's saying it's inferior, OP wants to take the June LSAT to go to school this fall (bad idea). Jimmy is telling him to wait until September and go to school next year.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”