How many PT's did YOU take before test day? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Theory1195

New

How many PT's did YOU take before test day?

Post by Theory1195 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Hey TLS-ers,

I am sure this thread exists, so I apologize in advance for being lazy. I'm sitting for the June LSAT, and my studying has been going exceptionally well (thanks to the fantastic advice I have received from this community....seriously, I am so thankful). I've been studying since January, and in order used: LSAT Trainer, LR Bible, and a Testmasters live course. In addition, I have used 7Sage for LG explanations. As of now, I have taken 12 PT's (with extensive, no-cutting-corners BR), and I am scoring where I want to be (168-169 averages, 166 & 171 were my outliers). I have learned that it is crucial to have some "padding" for test day (who the hell knows what could happen), so I would love to try to boost my score a little more.

I'm not feeling burn out or anything, and I am unsure how many PT's I should be doing per week from now until the few days before June 12th.

What do you all think? What worked for you?

I appreciate any/all advice! Thank you, TLS!!

#gobroncos

Bronze

Re: How many PT's did YOU take before test day?

Post by #gobroncos » Mon May 15, 2017 5:43 pm

My guess is that I took about 24 PTs total, as either 4-, 5-, or 6-section timed tests. I think I took about one a week starting when I was maybe 11-12 weeks out from the test, upped it to 2 per week when I was 7-8 weeks out, and did 3 per week the last three weeks. That worked for me for a 174 (on a retake).

I think the test requires a lot of quality practice, but you seem to be putting that in. I think the types who say that you need to do six tests a week/every LSAT problem in existence are crazy.

Anyways, good luck!

zkyggi

Bronze

Post by zkyggi » Mon May 15, 2017 5:47 pm

Right around 35 since Feb.
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Mon May 15, 2017 5:52 pm

I'm pretty sure I did 35-40 timed PTs, both 4 section and 5 section. I think when I was about month out I was doing 3-4 full PTs a week. The two weeks before the test I was doing approximately one a day (with a break day).

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Mon May 15, 2017 6:37 pm

33. 12 were 6 section tests

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:22 pm

I'm on pace for only 20-25 so you guys are freaking me out. :|

saf18hornet

Bronze

Post by saf18hornet » Mon May 15, 2017 8:56 pm

I'll have gone through 55 by test day next month. 30 drilling, 25 as 4 section PTs

#gobroncos

Bronze

Post by #gobroncos » Mon May 15, 2017 9:04 pm

The thing is, YOU only have to take the number of PTs that get you to your best score whether that's 5 or 50. I would be skeptical of anyone who expects to get there with 5 or even 10 PTs, but 20-25 PTs done in the right way is plenty for some (and I'd guess most) people.

hushpuppy

New

Post by hushpuppy » Tue May 16, 2017 2:57 pm

Great question!

How often should one take a PT?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hushpuppy

New

Post by hushpuppy » Tue May 16, 2017 2:58 pm

And where/how is the best place to acquire PTs? Sorry for my n00bish questions ... I know nothing! :oops:

dbalkaran

Silver

Post by dbalkaran » Tue May 16, 2017 3:10 pm

I did like 30 or so. But I did work through every logic game because I had access to the Kaplan Question Bank and that was my weakest area.

VeiledProtectorate

New

Post by VeiledProtectorate » Tue May 16, 2017 3:28 pm

Approximately 45, and scored 178. If I had to do it again, I would probably cut it to around 35. I was doing 3-4 PTs a week for several weeks, which was the wrong approach. I made a substantial jump once I scaled back to 1-2 per week.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Tue May 16, 2017 3:29 pm

Probably 30-40.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lahtso Nuggin

New

Post by Lahtso Nuggin » Tue May 16, 2017 3:48 pm

TLDR: focus on your missed questions and thoroughly understand every mistake. Especially if its a Q type that you routinely either take a ton of time with or miss often. The overall number of PTs you do isn't nearly as relevant to you learning the test.

I sense a premise here of 'if I take the right number, I will do well'. I don't think that's right. You absolutely have to take a decent number of tests to build stamina and increase your confidence to perform well on test day but much more important than how many tests you take is whether you figure out why you are missing questions and then develop a strategy to address those weaknesses. I would say that you should raise your bar a little bit and force yourself to truly understand those missed questions. Taking lots of tests works for some people but I do not think its sufficient, probably necessary but maybe not. LR and LG are very learnable for most folks if you spend enough time going over the missed questions. RC can be a little bit more hit and miss. Don't worry about taking a bunch of tests, focus on learning why you aren't getting right answers.

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:07 pm

Im taking the December test and my current study schedule has me doing 45 PTs between August 1st and December 1st. Im currently working through the Bibles and a 7Sage course so I don't plan on attacking PTs till Im done going through the basics. With that being said, Ive seen other people on here say they've taken 80 PTs and even redid many of them once every PT was exhausted. Id say don't limit yourself just based on the responses you see here, but also be care to not burn yourself out.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”