Best way to use my time? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
mrushing10

New

Best way to use my time?

Post by mrushing10 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:15 pm

So, I was planning on matriculating this fall, but due to new circumstances I will most likely be retaking. My December 2016 LSAT breakdown in below:

LR1: -10 LR2: -8 RC: -10 LG: -9 Score: 155

My first time around I used the LSAT Trainer and took 4 PT's (152,152,155,155).

I also briefly looked through the PS LG Bible.

My goal is 162+ to get into my #1 school. I can't start studying until July 1 because of a prior commitment so that leaves me with a little more than 2 months to study before the test in which I can devote around 6 hours a day plus most weekends. I am open to a class, tutor, etc. and wanted to get TLS's opinion on how to best utilize my time to reach my goal.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Re: Best way to use my time?

Post by MediocreAtBest » Mon May 15, 2017 1:20 pm

I think a 162 is an achievable goal in 2 months, but I have to ask why not more? And if you don't mind me asking what your gpa is and what your target school(s) are. A lot of people here will be inclined to tell you to aim higher.

mrushing10

New

Post by mrushing10 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:26 pm

Will definitely be pushing for the highest score possible. A 162 would have gotten me into UGA this cycle, which is why that is my target score. My gpa is 3.3 and I plan to stay in GA. I have no real desire to go to Emory, so UGA is my #1 choice.

A score higher than 162 could yield scholarship money but honestly I'm just looking for admission. Tuition is pretty cheap in-state and I have around a 10k/year discount through the National Guard.

quigleyest

New

Post by quigleyest » Mon May 15, 2017 1:33 pm

mrushing10 wrote:So, I was planning on matriculating this fall, but due to new circumstances I will most likely be retaking. My December 2016 LSAT breakdown in below:

My goal is 162+ to get into my #1 school. I can't start studying until July 1 because of a prior commitment so that leaves me with a little more than 2 months to study before the test in which I can devote around 6 hours a day plus most weekends. I am open to a class, tutor, etc. and wanted to get TLS's opinion on how to best utilize my time to reach my goal.
Regarding the LG -9, how about spending up to a month hammering down the LG? Go through chapters of the LG bible, use real games as practice, and watch 7sage videos for strategy

for LR.. do you have LR bible or Manhattan LR book?

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Mon May 15, 2017 1:35 pm

mrushing10 wrote:Will definitely be pushing for the highest score possible. A 162 would have gotten me into UGA this cycle, which is why that is my target score. My gpa is 3.3 and I plan to stay in GA. I have no real desire to go to Emory, so UGA is my #1 choice.

A score higher than 162 could yield scholarship money but honestly I'm just looking for admission. Tuition is pretty cheap in-state and I have around a 10k/year discount through the National Guard.
Seems fair. I think you should aim for the 75th LSAT to be safe since your GPA is below the median at UGA.

Anyway, I've been using the PS Bibles with a combination of 7sage videos for LG. i think they do a good enough job to where you could make some serious progress in a couple months. A class may or may not help, I don't have any experience with one and I think I'm better suited for self-study anyway so I don't really have advice concerning that.

You definitely want to get a bunch of preptests, though. Drilling is the key to raising the score even more, and with up to 6 hours a day you'll definitely have time to drill sections. For LR, I usually go to the manhattan prep forums to see explanations for answers I don't understand fully.

All in all, good luck! 2 months flies by before you know it so make sure you're grinding, don't want to have to retake in December.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mrushing10

New

Post by mrushing10 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:38 pm

quigleyest wrote:
mrushing10 wrote:So, I was planning on matriculating this fall, but due to new circumstances I will most likely be retaking. My December 2016 LSAT breakdown in below:

Regarding the LG -9, how about spending up to a month hammering down the LG? Go through chapters of the LG bible, use real games as practice, and watch 7sage videos for strategy

That's kind of what I was thinking. Use a month to really hammer LG then move on once I'm consistently under -5. I have all the bibles, Manhattan LG prep book, and the LSAT trainer.

mrushing10

New

Post by mrushing10 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:47 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
mrushing10 wrote:Will definitely be pushing for the highest score possible. A 162 would have gotten me into UGA this cycle, which is why that is my target score. My gpa is 3.3 and I plan to stay in GA. I have no real desire to go to Emory, so UGA is my #1 choice.

Seems fair. I think you should aim for the 75th LSAT to be safe since your GPA is below the median at UGA.

Anyway, I've been using the PS Bibles with a combination of 7sage videos for LG. i think they do a good enough job to where you could make some serious progress in a couple months. A class may or may not help, I don't have any experience with one and I think I'm better suited for self-study anyway so I don't really have advice concerning that.

You definitely want to get a bunch of preptests, though. Drilling is the key to raising the score even more, and with up to 6 hours a day you'll definitely have time to drill sections. For LR, I usually go to the manhattan prep forums to see explanations for answers I don't understand fully.

All in all, good luck! 2 months flies by before you know it so make sure you're grinding, don't want to have to retake in December.
Thanks! The first time around I was working full time, around 50 hrs per week, and didn't fully appreciate how much time studying would take. I think I'm going to start with logic games for the first month and move to LR after. During the second month, I'll do at least 2 PTs a week. That should put me at 8-10 PTs leading into test day.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon May 15, 2017 2:08 pm

focus on the fundamentals initially definitely, but you need to have time to take at least 20-30 practice tests (and I highly advise taking way more than even that).

quigleyest

New

Post by quigleyest » Mon May 15, 2017 2:16 pm

mrushing10 wrote:
quigleyest wrote:

That's kind of what I was thinking. Use a month to really hammer LG then move on once I'm consistently under -5. I have all the bibles, Manhattan LG prep book, and the LSAT trainer.
LSAT trainer has really good reviews... I used it myself but not sure how much it helped (quantitatively, at least), in conjunction with bibles and manhattan. I highly recommend watching 7sage videos for LG (went -0 on LG, and still feel like learning notation/strategy from JY is helpful).

Good luck

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mrushing10

New

Post by mrushing10 » Mon May 15, 2017 3:24 pm

quigleyest wrote:
mrushing10 wrote:
quigleyest wrote:

LSAT trainer has really good reviews... I used it myself but not sure how much it helped (quantitatively, at least), in conjunction with bibles and manhattan. I highly recommend watching 7sage videos for LG (went -0 on LG, and still feel like learning notation/strategy from JY is helpful).

Good luck
Thanks man. I used 7sage for a little bit the first time and ran through most of the trainer. I just dont think I did enough drilling and reviewing. My goal is to get every section around -5. If I make a few mistakes, I can still come away with my target score

mrushing10

New

Post by mrushing10 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:45 pm

So does anyone have recommendations on self-study, class, tutor, etc? I would prefer to have the structure of a class and have looked into Powerscore and Testmasters online classes. I don't mind spending the money because I want to make sure I'm using the most appropriate reaources to get me to my goal.

mrushing10

New

Post by mrushing10 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:32 am

carsondalywashere wrote:focus on the fundamentals initially definitely, but you need to have time to take at least 20-30 practice tests (and I highly advise taking way more than even that).
Will do. Lack of PTs and review were my biggest two mistakes the first time. I plan taking Sept if I'm PTing >160 but can always retake in December if I fall short. I'll definitely have the time to do a ton of PTs between Sept and Dec

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”