Advice Concerning Retake??? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Advice Concerning Retake???

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Fri May 12, 2017 6:36 pm

I got into a T13 (withdrew) and into GT right now (my only offer that I'm considering - still waiting on aid package).

I just got moved off the WL for Mich tho and while I'm not bummed, I am considering a retake. I saw Michigan offering egregious money to URM like me who were at median and above, and I would like to see how a cycle would play out with more money.

The problem is that i started studying in for this test truly in 2015 (diag 141-143) and i've taken three times (162, 161, 165). I've also PT'd into the 170s & high160s twice, but that's it. I don't doubt that i can do it, but I'm not in the position where I can study more than 20-21 hours a week.

If i were to retake, my earliest take is December - so I would have more than enough time to actually edit my essays (i literally wrote mine all of mine in 2 weeks for this cycle). I feel like its a good timeline, but how you guys go about it. Itaken it 3x already, i really want my 4th to be my last. I've had 3/4 tutors - but they just cant help me breakthrough with RC in particular - my worst section, and ive never gone perfect in LG ( it's hard for me for some reason. I dont know if its linked to my ADHD, which i didnt take meds for. I'm on medication now, just to eliminate any excuse for performance i would have. )

1 - Whats the most optimal method for RC improvement ( i miss inference questions mostly ( i missed 3 of them on my last exam) also analogy questions as well

2- LG - I read people talking about being so familiar with logic games that they can tell can tell by the rules the sort of questions the games will ask. ( i understand diagramming/categories), but from what i've read, it seems like some can almost predict all the inferences. I often have to diaggram all the inferences, because its really really hard for me t0 visualize scenarios in my head. I've done the games over and over and over, trust me. but when the test comes - i always miss like -2 - 4. How to help mitigate this. Drill two sections at once? Lower the time requirement?

3 - LR i only miss paradox and Strengthen/weaken, and then the odd question somewhere questions. the ones with the tricky AC"s to be particular - how do i go about really analyzing a question

Breakdown
LR- 7
RC -7
LG - 4
Last edited by Hi-So - ArshavinFan on Fri May 12, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platopus

Gold

Re: Advice Concerning Retake???

Post by Platopus » Fri May 12, 2017 6:50 pm

What's your GPA? Are you a K-JD or are you out of school?

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Fri May 12, 2017 6:53 pm

Platopus wrote:What's your GPA? Are you a K-JD or are you out of school?
GPA is 3.3
Out of school for 4/5 years

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Fri May 12, 2017 7:00 pm

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:
GPA is 3.3
In that case, I vote do not retake. A 170 may give you a shot at some of the lower T-13, especially NU and UVA, but it still doesn't give you a tremendous chance at many other schools. The only real consideration here is scholarship money. You've gotten a 20+ point increase over your diagnostic and you've maxed your takes. If you're comfortable w/ the financial implications of GT, then attend.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Fri May 12, 2017 7:33 pm

Platopus wrote:
GPA is 3.3
In that case, I vote do not retake. A 170 may give you a shot at some of the lower T-13, especially NU and UVA, but it still doesn't give you a tremendous chance at many other schools. The only real consideration here is scholarship money. You've gotten a 20+ point increase over your diagnostic and you've maxed your takes. If you're comfortable w/ the financial implications of GT, then attend.
Hmm a 170 would defnitely give me a shot, past lsn numbers show that. Money is a different thing, youre absolutely correct. Being an AA Male URM, a 170+ means Aichigan trowing crazy money as well.

I definitely maxed my takes -but December is open. If you mean maxe my takes that adcoms would look at the 4th score with a bit of scorn i understand. But if you were to help me study - how WOULD you go about it. ( i just want to envision all scenarios to make the most informed decision)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Fri May 12, 2017 8:19 pm

Platopus wrote:
GPA is 3.3
Hmm a 170 would defnitely give me a shot, past lsn numbers show that. Money is a different thing, youre absolutely correct. Being an AA Male URM, a 170+ means Aichigan trowing crazy money as well.

I definitely maxed my takes -but December is open. If you mean maxe my takes that adcoms would look at the 4th score with a bit of scorn i understand. But if you were to help me study - how WOULD you go about it. ( i just want to envision all scenarios to make the most informed decision)
Didn't see the part about you being an AA-Male, yes retake. A 170 would open many doors. I doubt a 4th take would be looked at too critically.

LG would be my first focus. If you consistently miss 2-4, that seems more like a timing issue than anything else. One thing I've noticed that helps is just taking a little longer in the set up. If you haven't already, check on 7sage and maybe explore with his "possible worlds" approach. LG really is just a matter of pushing inferences that occur repeatedly across games. That said, there are some "tricks". Don't be afraid to approach questions out of order, especially MBT. Sometimes you can eliminate certain answers from other questions. Additionally, look for logically equivalent answers. For future study, seriously go through ever game 2-3 times, watch the 7sage videos, rinse and repeat. It can be done. It's really a matter of just keeping at it until it clicks.

For RC, I've had some success with making no notations at all. Inference questions are essentially MBT questions in disguise. Some answers can be immediately eliminated due to their scope. Other's hinge on a minute differentiation on what is actually supported in the passage. If you can get it down to 2 answer choices, don't be afraid to go back to the passage when necessary.

Edit: 20 hours a week is plenty of time to study. I would keep at LG over the next 2 months or so, and really start to hit it hard again in August. Start w/ drills and individual sections. Review like hell, and then do the same thing for full tests.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon May 15, 2017 2:15 pm

If you want to do better in RC, master LR and read The Economist in your free time with the mindset you would have when taking the LSAT (at least 5 articles a day; they're extremely similar to RC passages). RC questions are essentially "must be true questions"

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Mon May 15, 2017 4:14 pm

Platopus wrote:
Platopus wrote:
GPA is 3.3

Didn't see the part about you being an AA-Male, yes retake. A 170 would open many doors. I doubt a 4th take would be looked at too critically.

LG would be my first focus. If you consistently miss 2-4, that seems more like a timing issue than anything else. One thing I've noticed that helps is just taking a little longer in the set up. If you haven't already, check on 7sage and maybe explore with his "possible worlds" approach. LG really is just a matter of pushing inferences that occur repeatedly across games. That said, there are some "tricks". Don't be afraid to approach questions out of order, especially MBT. Sometimes you can eliminate certain answers from other questions. Additionally, look for logically equivalent answers. For future study, seriously go through ever game 2-3 times, watch the 7sage videos, rinse and repeat. It can be done. It's really a matter of just keeping at it until it clicks.

For RC, I've had some success with making no notations at all. Inference questions are essentially MBT questions in disguise. Some answers can be immediately eliminated due to their scope. Other's hinge on a minute differentiation on what is actually supported in the passage. If you can get it down to 2 answer choices, don't be afraid to go back to the passage when necessary.

Edit: 20 hours a week is plenty of time to study. I would keep at LG over the next 2 months or so, and really start to hit it hard again in August. Start w/ drills and individual sections. Review like hell, and then do the same thing for full tests.
Agree that 20 hrs/week is plenty of time (as long as those are quality hours). Without more info on what aspects of the test are causing you problems, I'll echo general advice you'll find all over TLS:

I agree with Platopus (and conventional TLS wisdom) - if you're losing points on LG, that's where you should focus. And take as many full timed previously released PTs as you can, in distracting testing situations. Seriously, take A LOT. You should run out of fresh PTs by the time you get to test day. And don't just take a test and move on - make sure to review your incorrect answers and figure out what you're doing wrong.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Tue May 16, 2017 2:44 pm

LOL - in light of recent events - Platopus - does your advice still hold?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Greenteachurro

Silver

Post by Greenteachurro » Tue May 16, 2017 3:41 pm

I took the test 3 times and improved a ton on RC through them (-13 to -2). What I did was to take the RC from the super old tests, like 1-20, and take as much time as possible with each section and try my hardest to not miss a single question. Then I would go back and check my answers and try my hardest to figure out where and why my question was wrong and then write out that explanation. After going through 20 sections of that I felt like RC was a lot easier by the end of it. I don't think reading the economist is going to be of much use, especially when there's enough tests out there to read actual RC.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Tue May 16, 2017 6:36 pm

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:LOL - in light of recent events - Platopus - does your advice still hold?
Retake until you hit 180, I don't think "don't retake" is even a serious consideration for anyone now

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”