Help me w/ LSAT study plan? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
czenko

New

Help me w/ LSAT study plan?

Post by czenko » Tue May 09, 2017 12:31 pm

Hello, so I am a rising junior at a top 20 University (like literally 20th, it's a tie so you can guess which one :D ) with a 3.58 GPA-- my current plan is to take the LSAT June 2018 with the intention of applying to law schools for Fall 2019. I did a timed practice test yesterday with no prep whatsoever and got a 156 my goal is to hit upper 160's to 170 if humanly possible?
I was just wondering how one would go about studying this far in advanced without risking a burn-out as well as any tips and tricks to make myself more competitive? (My ultimate dream would be NYU law, but like I'd be happy with any top 20.)
I hate to be this person but I would be thankful for advice from those who have already begun studying/taken the LSATs before?

maybeman

Bronze

Re: Help me w/ LSAT study plan?

Post by maybeman » Tue May 09, 2017 2:41 pm

Buy 7Sage and work through the curriculum. Buy the LSAT Trainer or if you prefer the LR and LG Powerscore bibles. If you're prepared to put in the work, your goal score should be 180 with that diagnostic. Don't sell yourself short.

Impressionist

Bronze

Post by Impressionist » Tue May 09, 2017 3:13 pm

There is at least one guide (can't remember if it's 1776 or one of the main 3 180s guides on the main website) where the person did their studying over the course of a year and got a 180. I'd hunt that guide down.

czenko

New

Post by czenko » Tue May 09, 2017 9:52 pm

Thank you, both for the vote of confidence <3 I think I'd probably die from joy if I got anywhere above 172 haha. I went on Thriftbooks and bought the Logic Game and Reasoning book as well as two of the official LSAT practice test books to start with, so that works right?

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Wed May 10, 2017 12:34 am

czenko wrote:Thank you, both for the vote of confidence <3 I think I'd probably die from joy if I got anywhere above 172 haha. I went on Thriftbooks and bought the Logic Game and Reasoning book as well as two of the official LSAT practice test books to start with, so that works right?
Yeah, that's a good start. Eventually you'll want to pick up every available test, but for now that should be good. If you're going to study over the course of a year, remember, GPA is more important at this point. Don't sacrifice even .01 in GPA for the LSAT, at least not your fall semester; your 2nd semester you'll actually need to start studying. Also, make sure to pace yourself, with a year there's no need to rush. Actually learn the material, go through all the drills in all the books (no matter how basic they seem). A 172+ is definitely doable, just make sure you stay consistent with it. I would say 1, maybe 2 sections a week for drilling would be good, no need to start PT's until about 5 months out. When you start drilling, start with the older tests (1-20), save all the newer tests for when you're under the 6 mo mark. Start with LG and really nail the fundamentals, especially conditional logic. Best of luck

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tanes25

New

Post by tanes25 » Wed May 10, 2017 7:12 am

I would def go with 7Sage and The LSAT Trainer. Also, when you start PT start with a lower test number. 7Sage recommends starting in the 30-40. Depending on the pkg you purchase with 7Sage you will have access to printable PT and you wont have to worry about purchasing the books or purchasing them separately. I would keep the more recent tests closer to your test date as they do tend to have slight quirks in them that you might not be used to.

czenko

New

Post by czenko » Wed May 10, 2017 9:46 am

Platopus wrote:
czenko wrote:Thank you, both for the vote of confidence <3 I think I'd probably die from joy if I got anywhere above 172 haha. I went on Thriftbooks and bought the Logic Game and Reasoning book as well as two of the official LSAT practice test books to start with, so that works right?
Yeah, that's a good start. Eventually you'll want to pick up every available test, but for now that should be good. If you're going to study over the course of a year, remember, GPA is more important at this point. Don't sacrifice even .01 in GPA for the LSAT, at least not your fall semester; your 2nd semester you'll actually need to start studying. Also, make sure to pace yourself, with a year there's no need to rush. Actually learn the material, go through all the drills in all the books (no matter how basic they seem). A 172+ is definitely doable, just make sure you stay consistent with it. I would say 1, maybe 2 sections a week for drilling would be good, no need to start PT's until about 5 months out. When you start drilling, start with the older tests (1-20), save all the newer tests for when you're under the 6 mo mark. Start with LG and really nail the fundamentals, especially conditional logic. Best of luck
My GPA is definitely my weakest point, and I'm a little bit unsure how law schools will look at it-- I am entering a separate college at my school (business) so I'll actually have a separate GPA for my first two years then from my next year. (My major is Systems and managment consulting, it relies heavily on psychology, sociology and economics). So my current GPA can't go up but I'll be reported for next semester from this (relatively) competitive program. I'm a little hesitant my first choice in major is English but my parents (god love them) don't want me to get stuck w/ a four year degree they deem as unemployable.
Which! Is actually kind of why I've started studying already, next year my classes will be both difficult and curved (so top 30% gets an a,next 40 gets a b and the bottom 20 gets a C+) and i don't know, the school does a historically fabulous job at placing its graduates and is p well known so I'm trusting the system lol. But anyway all this means next year my gpa is my #1 priority, we with minimal lsat studying until Aprik/may-- so I wanted to start strong now and then consistently do exercises until the test date.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Wed May 10, 2017 6:25 pm

czenko wrote:
Platopus wrote:
My GPA is definitely my weakest point, and I'm a little bit unsure how law schools will look at it-- I am entering a separate college at my school (business) so I'll actually have a separate GPA for my first two years then from my next year. (My major is Systems and managment consulting, it relies heavily on psychology, sociology and economics). So my current GPA can't go up but I'll be reported for next semester from this (relatively) competitive program. I'm a little hesitant my first choice in major is English but my parents (god love them) don't want me to get stuck w/ a four year degree they deem as unemployable.
Which! Is actually kind of why I've started studying already, next year my classes will be both difficult and curved (so top 30% gets an a,next 40 gets a b and the bottom 20 gets a C+) and i don't know, the school does a historically fabulous job at placing its graduates and is p well known so I'm trusting the system lol. But anyway all this means next year my gpa is my #1 priority, we with minimal lsat studying until Aprik/may-- so I wanted to start strong now and then consistently do exercises until the test date.

Good, keep that focus on your GPA. If you can improve it at all by taking 1-2 courses you know will be easier, then do so. I was an English Lit major turned philosophy major and had no problem whatsoever finding jobs, even those that paid as well as my engineer brother. Anyway, I would recommend starting to study in earnest much earlier, like January-February. April/May is not enough time if you plan to take the June 2018 test. Even though you'll be learning the basics throughout the course of the next year, there are some skills that are really only improved with intense focus and review.

littlelibertine

Bronze

Post by littlelibertine » Wed May 10, 2017 10:46 pm

Platopus wrote:
czenko wrote:
Platopus wrote:

Good, keep that focus on your GPA. If you can improve it at all by taking 1-2 courses you know will be easier, then do so. I was an English Lit major turned philosophy major and had no problem whatsoever finding jobs, even those that paid as well as my engineer brother. Anyway, I would recommend starting to study in earnest much earlier, like January-February. April/May is not enough time if you plan to take the June 2018 test. Even though you'll be learning the basics throughout the course of the next year, there are some skills that are really only improved with intense focus and review.
How in God's name did you do that? Source: English major with philosophy minor, make less than half of either of my engineer sisters.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sanghyunp2004

New

Post by sanghyunp2004 » Fri May 12, 2017 3:04 pm

haha OP, i know what school you go to as I go to the same school. I guess I'll be seeing you there (although I don't know who you are of course).
Good luck with the LSAT studying on the same boat as you, except i'll be taking it Sep 2017. Yeah the curve is gonna be killer :O hopefully it isn't too bad since financial accounting wasn't that bad to begin with

czenko

New

Post by czenko » Sun May 14, 2017 10:45 am

sanghyunp2004 wrote:haha OP, i know what school you go to as I go to the same school. I guess I'll be seeing you there (although I don't know who you are of course).
Good luck with the LSAT studying on the same boat as you, except i'll be taking it Sep 2017. Yeah the curve is gonna be killer :O hopefully it isn't too bad since financial accounting wasn't that bad to begin with
High key thrilled to make ur acquintance! As you know my gpa we can all assume financial accounting was no good to me, but I'll be pretty safe (in theory) cos all the bad things are over /minus managerial and corporate but ehh/
I'm sure I'll see you around though! Cheers to camping in August :roll:

sanghyunp2004

New

Post by sanghyunp2004 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:08 pm

czenko wrote:
High key thrilled to make ur acquintance! As you know my gpa we can all assume financial accounting was no good to me, but I'll be pretty safe (in theory) cos all the bad things are over /minus managerial and corporate but ehh/
I'm sure I'll see you around though! Cheers to camping in August :roll:

Yeah forsure, I'll see you around! Maybe after the LSAT (if i get my score) i'll let you know who I am through PM! Good luck, have a great summer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”