Question regarding regarding speed on logical reasoning Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Lawschoolsenpai

New

Question regarding regarding speed on logical reasoning

Post by Lawschoolsenpai » Fri May 05, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi everyone, I've been on top-law for quite a while and finally feel like I'm able to ask coherent questions. I have reviewed the advice on how to document progress on logical reasoning and its been pretty good ( excel sheet and word document documenting every single mistake). I've taken 9 practice tests so far PT XIX-27 and it has helped clarify my weak and strong points (been getting better at those damn weaken questions ever since). Now that my accuracy has gotten better, getting 2-3 questions wrong max per logical reasoning section, should I start focusing on speed? I'm god awful at speed and miss the 35 minute limit by a wide margin every time.

More generally what other practices should I be implementing other than reviewing wrong answers?

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Re: Question regarding regarding speed on logical reasoning

Post by Barry grandpapy » Fri May 05, 2017 3:27 pm

Last edited by Barry grandpapy on Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Fri May 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Lawschoolsenpai wrote: More generally what other practices should I be implementing other than reviewing wrong answers?
Diagram conditional reasoning, identify premises and conclusions, circle term shifts, review some more. It seems like now is the time to start taking timed sections. You're going to go backward a little bit, but it's okay. Keep pushing. For review, some people swear by typing up the questions they miss and writing out an explanation for each answer choice.

Lawschoolsenpai

New

Post by Lawschoolsenpai » Fri May 05, 2017 6:58 pm

Platopus wrote:
Lawschoolsenpai wrote: More generally what other practices should I be implementing other than reviewing wrong answers?
Diagram conditional reasoning, identify premises and conclusions, circle term shifts, review some more. It seems like now is the time to start taking timed sections. You're going to go backward a little bit, but it's okay. Keep pushing. For review, some people swear by typing up the questions they miss and writing out an explanation for each answer choice.
Thank you! As well as the other guy, sorry if I'm not using the comments exactly correct yet. I do like writing an explanation for each wrong answer in LR, however on LG the instructions on how to "learn" from LG on the site seem to not be as useful. I typically just retake and retake them over and over again (old ones) and they seem to help with accuracy and speed when taking fresh ones. Is there any method you would recommend for learning from mistakes in logic games aside from relying on muscle memory?

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Fri May 05, 2017 11:01 pm

Lawschoolsenpai wrote: Is there any method you would recommend for learning from mistakes in logic games aside from relying on muscle memory?
I have a couple of tips, but I don't know if they qualify as methods:
1. Spend more time up front on diagramming the set up. Make sure you have a good understanding of which variables are floaters, if any are essentially logically identical, or if there are only a handful of "possible worlds".
2. Don't be afraid to skip around a little bit. If you see a Must be true or could be true question, considering skipping it and getting it back to it later. Often, you'll complete a question that will supply clues to other questions.

For practice, the best way is to just drill, and watch the 7sage youtube video for each game you don't feel 100% confident on, or that you miss a point on. Honestly though, you keep hearing the same advice because it's the best advice. It really is just muscle memory, like a chess grand master, it's a product of repetition.

Lawschoolsenpai

New

Post by Lawschoolsenpai » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:52 pm

Hi, not sure if this will update but thank you all for your great advice, currently averaging between 160-168 with the 70s
LSAT, 165-170 with pre 70s, taking the test on Saturday and retaking if I don't score in my upper end, appreciate all the advice, never though I would get to here tbh.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”