Pushing into 175+ - no specific weak points? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
TexasApplicant

New

Pushing into 175+ - no specific weak points?

Post by TexasApplicant » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:24 pm

Having some difficulty with breaking through the 175 range consistently.

Here's a link to my data:

http://imgur.com/a/f84dS

My misses seem to be randomly spread out and not consistent. I'm improving on RC, but I've gotten worse at LR.
On RC, I've started underlining and circling important parts more, and annotating paragraph info out to the side - this has helped somewhat. On LR, I started circling the question stem before reading the stim, which has sped me up but might have decreased accuracy somehow?

I usually finish LR with 5 minutes left, RC with none or 2-3 minutes, and AR with 5 minutes left. I will star the ones I think are close in LR or RC, but even after waivering on the correct answer I decide on one that's usually wrong. Upon review, the ones I miss are the ones that I had flagged.

My LR/RC misses are spread out - flaw/strengthen/assumption/disagree questions on the most recent PT.

I'm at a loss, and I'd really like to get through to the promised land (178-180) on a regular basis ahead of June.

Thanks.

CottonHarvest

Bronze

Re: Pushing into 175+ - no specific weak points?

Post by CottonHarvest » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:47 pm

TexasApplicant wrote:Having some difficulty with breaking through the 175 range consistently.

My misses seem to be randomly spread out and not consistent. I'm improving on RC, but I've gotten worse at LR.
On RC, I've started underlining and circling important parts more, and annotating paragraph info out to the side - this has helped somewhat. On LR, I started circling the question stem before reading the stim, which has sped me up but might have decreased accuracy somehow?

I usually finish LR with 5 minutes left, RC with none or 2-3 minutes, and AR with 5 minutes left. I will star the ones I think are close in LR or RC, but even after waivering on the correct answer I decide on one that's usually wrong. Upon review, the ones I miss are the ones that I had flagged.

My LR/RC misses are spread out - flaw/strengthen/assumption/disagree questions on the most recent PT.

I'm at a loss, and I'd really like to get through to the promised land (178-180) on a regular basis ahead of June.

Thanks.
I understand that you are concerned with LR and RC, and you can always improve them. But where you are at with your scores, every question counts. You definitely need to get to where you are going -1 or -0 on every section on LG and your scores will improve by a point or two just from that.

lakers180

Bronze

Post by lakers180 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:52 pm

ya you need to get games perfect, try using the 7sage videos and doing the one's you get wrong over a few times until you really understand them

TexasApplicant

New

Post by TexasApplicant » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:01 pm

That's definitely fair, I could use the extra points from going -0 in AR for sure.

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:11 pm

Last edited by Barry grandpapy on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:21 pm

I broke out of 175 territory by doing more sections. I took one of each every day in a row and BR'd all of it. Took two 6 sectioned PTs a week as well. Once you have a solid understanding of the test repetition is what will push you there imo

Alpal29

New

Post by Alpal29 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:31 pm

Looking at your data, LR and LG are the ones you're inconsistent in actually. RC seems to be okay.
Doing more LR and really working through the reasoning will help. There is no reason you should ever go anything more than -0 on LG, I actually never understood how people missed one or two because often it's just set on making sure you set up the game board right. Watching 7sage walkthroughs can help with that.

HarveySpecterr

New

Post by HarveySpecterr » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:01 pm

grandpapy360 wrote:LR-
If the questions you're missing are only the incredibly hard ones, I reccomend immediately skipping these and saving them for the end. I almost always immediately nope out of 1 or 2 questions per LR to save for the end. At your level this can sometimes leave almost 10 minutes to answer two questions. The few times I got a 180 were when I had a stupid amount of time to review the hardest questions.

But if you EVER miss an easy/medium LR question then this is an accuracy issue and you need to confirm answers, and never skip reading and eliminating all all other choices.

RC-
At this point only drill hard passages under a strict 8 minute time limit. I'd wager there's little left for you to learn from 1-3 star difficulty passages.

LG-
There's a lot of great advice on this forum for getting -0 and frankly I tend to get 1 or 2 wrong so I don't have much to add on this.

Hopefully something I said was helpful. You got this!
How do you know the difficulty level of each question? Is there somewhere I can look and see whether I'm missing easy/mediums or the extra hard ones?

HarveySpecterr

New

Post by HarveySpecterr » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:04 pm

TexasApplicant wrote:Having some difficulty with breaking through the 175 range consistently.

Thanks.
Read a novel. You're done. Just make a 175 and shout "HOOK 'EM HORNS!" on your way out the door \\m//

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:32 pm

Last edited by Barry grandpapy on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lalalsat96

New

Post by Lalalsat96 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:40 pm

maybeman wrote:I broke out of 175 territory by doing more sections. I took one of each every day in a row and BR'd all of it. Took two 6 sectioned PTs a week as well. Once you have a solid understanding of the test repetition is what will push you there imo
Just wondering how long you did daily sections for? I am guessing around a month before the exam but I could be wrong.

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:39 pm

Lalalsat96 wrote:
maybeman wrote:I broke out of 175 territory by doing more sections. I took one of each every day in a row and BR'd all of it. Took two 6 sectioned PTs a week as well. Once you have a solid understanding of the test repetition is what will push you there imo
Just wondering how long you did daily sections for? I am guessing around a month before the exam but I could be wrong.
Yeah, I did it for a month. Studied seriously for about 6 months altogether, though.

TexasApplicant

New

Post by TexasApplicant » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:06 pm

grandpapy360 wrote:LR-
If the questions you're missing are only the incredibly hard ones, I reccomend immediately skipping these and saving them for the end. I almost always immediately nope out of 1 or 2 questions per LR to save for the end. At your level this can sometimes leave almost 10 minutes to answer two questions. The few times I got a 180 were when I had a stupid amount of time to review the hardest questions.

But if you EVER miss an easy/medium LR question then this is an accuracy issue and you need to confirm answers, and never skip reading and eliminating all all other choices.

RC-
At this point only drill hard passages under a strict 8 minute time limit. I'd wager there's little left for you to learn from 1-3 star difficulty passages.

LG-
There's a lot of great advice on this forum for getting -0 and frankly I tend to get 1 or 2 wrong so I don't have much to add on this.

Hopefully something I said was helpful. You got this!
I'll definitely give that LR strategy a try, I'd never thought of skipping questions and coming back to them. I have the time do that, so I'll give it a shot.

I agree LG needs to be at consistent -0. I really appreciate the help.
Do you recommend doing more than 2 PTs a week? I have enough time in my schedule to do up to 5, and I feel like I'm falling behind if I don't take one.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:50 am

TexasApplicant wrote:
Do you recommend doing more than 2 PTs a week? I have enough time in my schedule to do up to 5, and I feel like I'm falling behind if I don't take one.
I wouldn't go that far. There are more valuable studying alternatives such as miscellaneous LG drills, memory method practice, etc. I wouldn't be able to find the time to blind review all five thoroughly too. If you have nothing else going on and don't think you'll get burnt out, you could try it. Be careful with your limits though

uion1715

New

Post by uion1715 » Mon May 01, 2017 5:16 pm

From my experience, I would recommend trying one PT in the 70s pretty soon. I was hitting 175-178 pretty consistently in the 30s and the 40s but my score has dropped down to the low 170s (but improving!) when I jumped to the 70s PTs. It might give you a more accurate idea of where you are at currently and avoid the shock that comes with the real test.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”