Retake Strategy? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
vivacolonia

New

Retake Strategy?

Post by vivacolonia » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:27 am

Hi - I applied this cycle with a low LSAT (153). Clearly this didn't get too many economically sensible offers. Unless I come off a T1 waitlist, I'm set on re-taking the LSAT in September. For the previous cycle, I did a self-study (no classes, tutors, etc.) for the 2ish months leading up to the exam.

1. I know the average bump for re-takers is 2 points. But, with 3-4 months of dedicated study, is a 10-15 point bump possible?

2. What would the best strategy be to achieve the best result I can in 3-4 months? Tutors? Prep courses? Self-guided study? I'd love to hear what people in similar situations did to better themselves for the subsequent cycle. I live in Colorado (Denver metro) if that helps anyone w/ suggestions. I've also read a few previous threads, which have been helpful, but wondering if anyone in a similar situation can provide advice.

3. What's the best way to improve LR accuracy? This is the section I struggled w/ the most.

Thanks all for your feedback.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Re: Retake Strategy?

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:38 am

If you studied for 2 months and only got a 153, then I'd say either your studying was not very effective, or you started from an abysmally low starting point (like sub 130).

Did you feel like you learned things while studying? What were your PT score ranges? What did you use to 'self-study'?

All of those questions need to be answered before you can get solid advice. I self-studied using PS Bibles for a month before my December take and scored a 168 (had been hitting 170+ in practice) - so I feel like my self-study worked well. I'm continuing that train and doing a self-study regimen with drilling questions by type and using the LSAT Trainer for the June test.

To me it sounds like you may need a tutor's help if you are still in the 150 range with 2 months of studying under your belt, but I didn't go that route, so I'm probably not helpful in recommending something there.

vivacolonia

New

Post by vivacolonia » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:50 am

mrgstephe wrote:If you studied for 2 months and only got a 153, then I'd say either your studying was not very effective, or you started from an abysmally low starting point (like sub 130).

Did you feel like you learned things while studying? What were your PT score ranges? What did you use to 'self-study'?

All of those questions need to be answered before you can get solid advice. I self-studied using PS Bibles for a month before my December take and scored a 168 (had been hitting 170+ in practice) - so I feel like my self-study worked well. I'm continuing that train and doing a self-study regimen with drilling questions by type and using the LSAT Trainer for the June test.

To me it sounds like you may need a tutor's help if you are still in the 150 range with 2 months of studying under your belt, but I didn't go that route, so I'm probably not helpful in recommending something there.
Thanks for the response. I'd agree that the study wasn't very effective, especially seeing as how it only net me a 153. I did feel like I learned a ton, especially seeing as how I never had any formal logic courses in undergrad or prior. I didn't use any books to self-study, it was an online course that I wouldn't recommend. I also only did about 10 PTs, went through them, and watched the 7sage videos on the games. My PTs were consistently in the 159-161 range prior to exam day. I think these still could have been better w/ more time.

Would you recommend the PS Bibles first to get the logic solidified?

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:00 pm

If you didn't get 20 points on LG that's your first step as that's the easiest thing to improve.

LR the powerscore bibles have a good reputation but I didn't use them. I found 7sage effective for what it's worth. If you can learn to get 9 of the first 10 in LR that will help you immensely. You'll learn the essential LR staples on easy questions and that knowledge will build on itself. Are you getting 9 of the first 10 correct? If not you really don't understand the bare basics of LR and need to do that ASAP. 40 raw combined on LR needs to be your minimum before retaking.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:05 pm

vivacolonia wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:If you studied for 2 months and only got a 153, then I'd say either your studying was not very effective, or you started from an abysmally low starting point (like sub 130).

Thanks for the response. I'd agree that the study wasn't very effective, especially seeing as how it only net me a 153. I did feel like I learned a ton, especially seeing as how I never had any formal logic courses in undergrad or prior. I didn't use any books to self-study, it was an online course that I wouldn't recommend. I also only did about 10 PTs, went through them, and watched the 7sage videos on the games. My PTs were consistently in the 159-161 range prior to exam day. I think these still could have been better w/ more time.

Either PS Bibles or the Trainer for logic basics. I have read (or am reading) both, and both were solid resources. The reality is you don't need a ton of 'formal' logic, you just have to learn to think LSAT logically (which has parallels to regular everyday logic, but it's not exactly the same). I've really liked the LR sections in the Trainer, and am looking forward to hitting some PTs when I finish my studying with that.

FWIW, LR has been my achilles heel. I aced one section and -6'd the other on the Sept 16 test, and then I missed a combined -11 on LR on December. If I can get down to -3 or better on both sections consistently I'll be pretty happy. I believe what I'm doing now will get me there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vivacolonia

New

Post by vivacolonia » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:15 pm

AJordan wrote:If you didn't get 20 points on LG that's your first step as that's the easiest thing to improve.

LR the powerscore bibles have a good reputation but I didn't use them. I found 7sage effective for what it's worth. If you can learn to get 9 of the first 10 in LR that will help you immensely. You'll learn the essential LR staples on easy questions and that knowledge will build on itself. Are you getting 9 of the first 10 correct? If not you really don't understand the bare basics of LR and need to do that ASAP. 40 raw combined on LR needs to be your minimum before retaking.
Thanks for your response, AJordan. I read your comment about nailing the 9 of 1st 10 Qs of LR in a separate thread that I found really helpful, and is something I didn't do the first go-round. Generally my PTs were in the 30-35 range on LR, so there's still work to be done.

I'm not too familiar with the 7sage LR, so I'll look into that as well.

vivacolonia

New

Post by vivacolonia » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:19 pm

mrgstephe wrote:
vivacolonia wrote:

Either PS Bibles or the Trainer for logic basics. I have read (or am reading) both, and both were solid resources. The reality is you don't need a ton of 'formal' logic, you just have to learn to think LSAT logically (which has parallels to regular everyday logic, but it's not exactly the same). I've really liked the LR sections in the Trainer, and am looking forward to hitting some PTs when I finish my studying with that.

FWIW, LR has been my achilles heel. I aced one section and -6'd the other on the Sept 16 test, and then I missed a combined -11 on LR on December. If I can get down to -3 or better on both sections consistently I'll be pretty happy. I believe what I'm doing now will get me there.
I'll take a look at this. I'm ok with pumping money into LSAT prep to potentially save $$$ in tuition. And I feel you on the LR. It's been the toughest nut for me to crack. Your goal of -3 on each LR section is about what I would want to hit. I'll probably read both, as you did.

guyindfw

New

Post by guyindfw » Fri May 05, 2017 11:42 am

Putting money into LSAT prep gave me a decent scholarship.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”