I need to change up my prep method. What is the best course to take? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Redstorm152

New

I need to change up my prep method. What is the best course to take?

Post by Redstorm152 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:15 pm

I took a practice test last year, and scored 148 cold. I took the prep course at my school, and subsequently took another prep test and scored a 140. I enrolled in a prep program, and it's been 2 months, and I just scored a 141 on the last prep test. It feels like I'm not learning anything because the instructor blows through the material and it's extremely difficult to complete the homework. When I go to the tutoring they want me to point out specific problems when in actuality I'm struggling with the whole concept.

It's not that I'm not capable. It's just that at this point I've realized that I need a more comprehensive program that offers robust 1-on-1 personal instruction, along with online resources. I'm trying to score around 160 and I know it's possible. Any suggestions?

grades??

Silver

Re: I need to change up my prep method. What is the best course to take?

Post by grades?? » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:21 pm

First, obviously that class isn't working.

Isolate each section. Dont give a shit about any other sections except games right now. Games are the easiest section to learn. Go look at all the 7sage videos and do the games. Learn to love games. Dont even think about any other section until you can go -0 every time on games. Thats a free 20 points for you that you are probably missing right now.

Then move on to the next section: either RC or LG. I suggest LG. It makes up 50% of the lsat. Learn the question stems and what each stem is asking for exactly.

All this time, start reading really boring stuff that is heavy on logic. My recommendation is go check out a bunch of platonic dialogues. Most people find them boring and they are FULL of logical reasoning. Spend 30 minutes every day working through a dialogue, noting the arguments and how they follow. That will also help naturally improve RC.

connordalto

Bronze

Post by connordalto » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:27 pm

Redstorm152 wrote:I took a practice test last year, and scored 148 cold. I took the prep course at my school, and subsequently took another prep test and scored a 140. I enrolled in a prep program, and it's been 2 months, and I just scored a 141 on the last prep test. It feels like I'm not learning anything because the instructor blows through the material and it's extremely difficult to complete the homework. When I go to the tutoring they want me to point out specific problems when in actuality I'm struggling with the whole concept.

It's not that I'm not capable. It's just that at this point I've realized that I need a more comprehensive program that offers robust 1-on-1 personal instruction, along with online resources. I'm trying to score around 160 and I know it's possible. Any suggestions?
Ya you need to start with the basics or nothing will make sense and you won't progress. Make sure you understand sufficient and necessary conditions like your life depends on it. Get the easy games down (i.e. ordering, basic grouping) and then progress to the harder stuff. I read the LSAT Trainer as my first book and loved it-- it distills most of the hard concepts into things that actually make sense. As you begin to get games, this will help you on your LR.

And don't be worrying about timing all this time, make sure you 100% understand why every answer is right or wrong (and I mean every one). After you start going -0 on games and hitting about 80-90% untimed on LR, then start timing and maybe a course. Good luck!

Redstorm152

New

Post by Redstorm152 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:30 pm

That makes sense. Are the 7sage videos free or would I have to pay? I could use those points. LG is still my weakest section.

connordalto

Bronze

Post by connordalto » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:33 pm

Redstorm152 wrote:That makes sense. Are the 7sage videos free or would I have to pay? I could use those points. LG is still my weakest section.
https://www.youtube.com/user/7sagelsat All ya need!

And seriously, buy this book https://www.amazon.com/LSAT-Trainer-Rem ... 0989081508. Best $50 you'll ever spend

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:36 pm

Redstorm152 wrote:That makes sense. Are the 7sage videos free or would I have to pay? I could use those points. LG is still my weakest section.
Honestly OP, if you are getting 140s, every section is your weakest section. But that doesn't mean you can't fix it. Just be systematic. Other poster was right, don't even think about timing. Just worry about learning how do the sections.

Listen, my first diagnostic was low 140s. I have a 175+ real score. I did it and so can you! Just be systematic. It can take a while, so don't freak out. Just read dense stuff, focus on games, and work hard. When you get questions wrong, fix out why and how to fix it. You can do it!

Edit: think about it like this: you wouldn't make a baby run a marathon. There are a lot of literal steps from learning to walk to running a marathon. This is the same thing. Be systematic about each step, and you will eventually cross that line.

Redstorm152

New

Post by Redstorm152 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:41 am

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice and words of encouragement. I'm going to tackle this one step at a time. I bought the LSAT trainer mentioned above on Amazon, and I like the reviews. I'm feeling pretty confident that between that and the 7sage videos I should be able to get moving in the right direction. I've heard Manhattan has an excellent program, but I'm weary about dishing out money for another program when the one I'm in didn't really help.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”