First Pt - Plan from here - Critiques Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
StetsonU

New

First Pt - Plan from here - Critiques

Post by StetsonU » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:00 pm

Ok. So on my first pt today with no studying other than sequencing lg game strategy I scored a 156. It was pt 62 and followed the strict 35min time restraints, etc.

I didn't answer questions 2 or 3 in LG as it was just completely foreign and i felt that anything i got right would have just been guesses (or at least i wouldn't have been certain in my choice) so I just marked all 12 questions wrong. I was -1 in the lg with questions 1/4. -7 in rc and -11/-9 in Lr sections 2/4.

My plan from here at the moment would be to take the next 5 pt's in order but one section at a time. So I would take tests 63-67 only logic games first while studying and mastering lg, then Lr then finally Rc in that order and in the same manner. I then planned to start taking full pt's again and reviewing everything/what i need more work on.

Any advice on whether i should just keep my studying divided up between lr/lg and a bit of rc then just keep taking full pts, or go along with my game plan would be greatly appreciated.

lakers180

Bronze

Re: First Pt - Plan from here - Critiques

Post by lakers180 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:05 pm

don't waste new pt's this early when you don't know how to do the games. start by doing powerscore or manhattan logic games and logic reasoning books

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:32 pm

lakers180 wrote:don't waste new pt's this early when you don't know how to do the games. start by doing powerscore or manhattan logic games and logic reasoning books
+1
Use earlier PTs (1-35) if you want material for drilling. I wouldn't touch PTs 60+ for now.

zkyggi

Bronze

Post by zkyggi » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:53 pm

With a score that high for your diagnostic, I would recommend really spending time to get games down to consistently -2 at least before going back to PTs. It is the easiest section to be consistent on, so any points you lose there are just a prep mistake. Once you are there, I would just go through tests and heavily review. A lot of people here advocate drilling by type, but that didn't help me much. Reviewing tests has been crucial for improvements for me.

I think your strategy with the tests is a little arbitrarily structured to be honest. If you are having conceptual issues, the tests you use to study won't really matter. You should learn the concepts before seeing how the new tests mess up your ability to apply them. The newer tests aren't harder from a conceptual standpoint, so you might as well save them for your full PTs.
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:18 pm

LOL I took PT 62 today too!

That LG section was wicked. I didn't even finish and I usually go -2 or less on LG. Went -4. So it's not just you. But I would suggest following The Great's advice -
Alexandros wrote:+1
Use earlier PTs (1-35) if you want material for drilling. I wouldn't touch PTs 60+ for now
and save later PTs for the latter stages of your prep.

You're studying for September right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:24 pm

dm1683 wrote: The Great
I like you.

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:42 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dm1683 wrote: The Great
I like you.
He is referring to your score and UG institution.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:54 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StetsonU

New

Post by StetsonU » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:21 pm

Alexandros wrote:
lakers180 wrote:don't waste new pt's this early when you don't know how to do the games. start by doing powerscore or manhattan logic games and logic reasoning books
+1
Use earlier PTs (1-35) if you want material for drilling. I wouldn't touch PTs 60+ for now.
I have the Powerscore bibles, should I just run through all of those and my kaplan prep books then start tackling the 60+ pts? Or should i still drill the 1-35 ones as well? Thank you guys for the quick responses, I appreciate it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

StetsonU

New

Post by StetsonU » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:25 pm

dm1683 wrote:LOL I took PT 62 today too!

That LG section was wicked. I didn't even finish and I usually go -2 or less on LG. Went -4. So it's not just you. But I would suggest following The Great's advice -
Use earlier PTs (1-35) if you want material for drilling. I wouldn't touch PTs 60+ for now

The meetings or whatever courses that second one was along with the windows was so above my head lol. Idk if the sequencing were just super easy or if the -1 on the two questions is insight into how I will do.

I am studying for June, in case I end up having to take it three times I still want to apply early in the cycle (December instead of February.) The dream is to score 175+ on June and be done with it, but we'll see when the time comes.

StetsonU

New

Post by StetsonU » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:26 pm

zkyggi wrote:With a score that high for your diagnostic, I would recommend really spending time to get games down to consistently -2 at least before going back to PTs. It is the easiest section to be consistent on, so any points you lose there are just a prep mistake. Once you are there, I would just go through tests and heavily review. A lot of people here advocate drilling by type, but that didn't help me much. Reviewing tests has been crucial for improvements for me.

I think your strategy with the tests is a little arbitrarily structured to be honest. If you are having conceptual issues, the tests you use to study won't really matter. You should learn the concepts before seeing how the new tests mess up your ability to apply them. The newer tests aren't harder from a conceptual standpoint, so you might as well save them for your full PTs.
Thank you for the feedback, I'm definitely looking into a bunch of strategies and trying to find the style that suits me best.

lakers180

Bronze

Post by lakers180 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:27 pm

StetsonU wrote: I have the Powerscore bibles, should I just run through all of those and my kaplan prep books then start tackling the 60+ pts? Or should i still drill the 1-35 ones as well? Thank you guys for the quick responses, I appreciate it.
i would do power score and then drill the lower tests. then do the later tests 40-60ish full length if possible. would save 60+ as close to test day as possible.

StetsonU

New

Post by StetsonU » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:29 pm

lakers180 wrote:
StetsonU wrote: I have the Powerscore bibles, should I just run through all of those and my kaplan prep books then start tackling the 60+ pts? Or should i still drill the 1-35 ones as well? Thank you guys for the quick responses, I appreciate it.
i would do power score and then drill the lower tests. then do the later tests 40-60ish full length if possible. would save 60+ as close to test day as possible.
I'm glad I got all of this feedback before I wasted anymore 60+'s

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:32 pm

StetsonU wrote:

The meetings or whatever courses that second one was along with the windows was so above my head lol. Idk if the sequencing were just super easy or if the -1 on the two questions is insight into how I will do.

I am studying for June, in case I end up having to take it three times I still want to apply early in the cycle (December instead of February.) The dream is to score 175+ on June and be done with it, but we'll see when the time comes.
The stained glass game is infamous for its difficulty i hear. Seminars ("Handling People???") was rough too. But the first and last games were the easiest you'll find on the lsat.

You really should postpone till June my friend. Not enoug time for a 20 point jump when you still have to practice games IMO. Maybe 165-170 is doable but 175 is pushing it. Sorry to say.

StetsonU

New

Post by StetsonU » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:44 pm

dm1683 wrote:
StetsonU wrote:

The stained glass game is infamous for its difficulty i hear. Seminars ("Handling People???") was rough too. But the first and last games were the easiest you'll find on the lsat.

You really should postpone till June my friend. Not enoug time for a 20 point jump when you still have to practice games IMO. Maybe 165-170 is doable but 175 is pushing it. Sorry to say.
Of course I know it's not normal and it's pushing it but I'll be alright either way. I'll keep you guys posted.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”