How do I start tutoring? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Hstrat

Bronze

How do I start tutoring?

Post by Hstrat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:33 pm

Posting this here because it seems like the most relevant forum, and I figure a far number of tutors frequent it:

I got a 177, but have no tutoring experience (as a tutor or a student). I've got one day a week that I was thinking about using for LSAT tutoring - a full time job the rest of the week keeps me busy. My small town has a university, but no test prep centers that offer LSAT classes. Is such limited availability going to be an issue? Is there anything I can do to learn how to be a good tutor?

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Re: How do I start tutoring?

Post by MediocreAtBest » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:41 pm

Curious to see this answer as well, if I score a 175+ like I'm hoping for I'd want to make some extra cash tutoring as well. Worst case scenario you could post an ad on craigslist but I'd prefer something a little more legit.

34iplaw

Gold

Re: How do I start tutoring?

Post by 34iplaw » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:41 pm

I think Graeme posted on r/lsat some time ago about this, but I'm not certain.

Ultimately, it'll be largely driven by word of mouth and getting your name out there. I would then look to see what people (look primarily for non-experienced) charge per hour for LSAT preparation. You could probably also look at other tests including the SAT just to get a feel of what people are willing to spend for tutoring services. Then look to see what people value in tutors and what items are important - i.e. do most care about a 'trial session.'

It'll basically come down to hustle. Your challenge will be that you lack the more important experience (IMO) when it comes to tutoring, even for the LSAT.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”