Kaplan or Powerscore/7Sage Combo Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jciigoe30

New

Kaplan or Powerscore/7Sage Combo

Post by jciigoe30 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:09 pm

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice on what prep course to use for the September LSAT. I'm trying to decide between doing the Powerscore self study course in conjunction with the 7Sage material OR signing up for the in person Kaplan course. Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks in advance

jciigoe30

New

Re: Kaplan or Powerscore/7Sage Combo

Post by jciigoe30 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:12 pm

Just as some background, I have a 158 diagnostic and want to be in the high 160s.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:17 pm

Powerscore/7sage no doubt. Kaplan sucks.

Also, you want to be in the 170s

jciigoe30

New

Post by jciigoe30 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:18 pm

I've heard mixed reviews on both of these so any insight would be helpful!

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:30 pm

jciigoe30 wrote:I've heard mixed reviews on both of these so any insight would be helpful!
I'll elaborate. You can also use the search function on here, as I'm sure this has been discussed plenty.

I believe kaplan is more geared towards getting test takers into the 60-80th percentiles. Powerscore and 7sage are better suited for test takers aiming for 90th+ percentile scores. I had a fairly high diagnostic, started with kaplan and quickly realized it wasn't getting me very far. Switched to a combination of 7sage/powerscore/manhattan. 99th percentile score on test day.

Edit: I recommend manhattan for LR and RC. I liked powerscore and 7sage for LG.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:34 pm

Powerscore + 7sage is exactly what I did and it worked great. Don't waste your money on a course, especially Kaplan.

JBird

New

Post by JBird » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:50 am

Clemenceau wrote:Powerscore/7sage no doubt. Kaplan sucks.

This.
(Disclaimer: I haven't done anything with Kaplan, but that was the general consensus from my research).
jciigoe30 wrote:I've heard mixed reviews on both of these so any insight would be helpful!

I'm surprised by this.

Sounds like you're set on Kaplan, and trying to decide between Powerscore and 7sage for the other half of your combo. Are you saying you've heard mixed reviews of PS & 7S? Like what? From most other accounts, it seems like those two are considered the best.

jciigoe30

New

Post by jciigoe30 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:14 am

JBird wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:Powerscore/7sage no doubt. Kaplan sucks.

This.
(Disclaimer: I haven't done anything with Kaplan, but that was the general consensus from my research).

I'm surprised by this.

Sounds like you're set on Kaplan, and trying to decide between Powerscore and 7sage for the other half of your combo. Are you saying you've heard mixed reviews of PS & 7S? Like what? From most other accounts, it seems like those two are considered the best.
I've heard mixed reviews on Kaplan. I'm trying to figure out if Powerscore and 7Sage are the two that I should use, or if I should swap out one of those for Manhattan.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:40 am

I've used PS and I'm pleased with it, in addition to watching 7sage videos. Had a 151 diagnostic and hit 172 on my pt yesterday so it's working fairly well so far.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dbalkaran

Silver

Post by dbalkaran » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:47 am

I took the Kaplan in-person course and didn't find it to be all that helpful. A lot of the kids in the class had cold tested at 150 or below and the instructor was more focused on going through the basics and helping people to understand those. I think my cold score was 154 and on my own I was able to get my score into the low 160s on PTs using 7Sage. I think once you're into the 160s you obviously understand the basics and what the Kaplan courses teach is not necessarily bad, but it's not going to help you with the nuances of the test.

I felt they did a decent job covering logic games, but 7Sage goes into a lot more detail. Didn't get much out of the course for reading comprehension. The logical reasoning stuff they do is fine and actually helped me out quite a bit. Overall is it worth over $1,000? No probably not, but you do get access to every prep test with the solutions and the online question bank is helpful because it can help you find questions that focus on your weak areas. They do also have the better score guarantee so if your score doesn't improve on your LSAT or you end up not taking it you can take the course again for free.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:48 am

Personally I'd go with Manhattan over Powerscore, but no matter what you do don't go with Kaplan.

Purple Ranger

New

Post by Purple Ranger » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:05 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:Personally I'd go with Manhattan over Powerscore, but no matter what you do don't go with Kaplan.
What's the difference between Manhattan and Powerscore? I used Powerscore and did great with LG, but I'm still struggling with LR and RC.

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:02 pm

Can't attest to Manhattan, because I used Powerscore, but I would definitely recommend PS for LG. It was by far my weakest section to start out, and ended up being my most consistent (I could consistently go -0 or -1). From what I understand, Manhattan is good for RC/LR though, so consider your own personal needs.

Edit: if you're struggling with RC particularly, I can't say anything about Powerscore's capacity in that area because I never opened the RC bible.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”