June or September? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Karinne

New

June or September?

Post by Karinne » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:54 pm

TL;DR:
Working professional, scored 161 on practice test after 6 weeks of studying. How likely is it to get to 170 after 2 more months of studying? If I retake will my first low score haunt me...if I wait til September will applying later hurt me?

Hi,
My first post here. The June deadline is coming up and although I'm 6 weeks into studying (halfway through the LSAT Trainer), my PT score has not improved much. I work 50-60 hours a week and had a hard time studying more than 1 hr/day, sometimes not at all. I'm going to try really hard to change that for the next two months. However, since my goal is 170+ and I'm only scoring around 161, is it better to wait? If I take it in June and do poorly then retake in Sept, will most schools average the scores or at least ding me for the June score? If I wait til September, am I missing out on early application?

First practice test ever (untimed, cold): 162 (73/101) - was supposed to be a timed diagnostic but I took way too long on RC and LG, and I let myself finish those 2 sections untimed. On March 4th.

Second practice test (timed, after studying 6 weeks): 161 (74/102) - ran out of time on RC and LG again but stopped within time limit. Blind guessed on 5 and 9 questions, respectively, and rushed through many more. On April 15th.

Clearly, my problem is that I am way too slow. Being a slow reader (250 wpm) doesn't help. It's hard to imagine ever being able to answer all of the questions within the time limit.

My stats:
Finance undergrad from obscure state uni, 4.0 GPA
Some decent softs (community leadership role, difficult professional designation)
6 years working in finance

Also - any schools that would be more favorable towards a non-traditional applicant like me?

Platopus

Gold

Re: June or September?

Post by Platopus » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:46 pm

Karinne wrote: My stats:
Finance undergrad from obscure state uni, 4.0 GPA

Also - any schools that would be more favorable towards a non-traditional applicant like me?
Don't waste that GPA. The LSAT will always be there. Even tho you've been working 6+ years you still have some time. In my opinion you should probably wait until September. Getting from the low 160's to the upper 160's is doable, but cracking 170 is going to be pretty difficult. Since you're working a lot, it's going to be hard to put in the work needed to break that 170 threshold in only 2 months. There won't be any downside to taking in September. Schools won't average even if you do take in June, but honestly there's no reason to take until you're consistently PT'ing at or above you target score.

Speed will come, don't fret too much. Speed is a function of familiarity. The more questions you see, the easier it will be, especially on LG and LR (although to a lesser extent). Keep at it and reap the benefits come Fall.

Northwestern will be very interested in you if you can get that LSAT to the upper 160's/low 170's, and if you can get a 172+ you're looking at very substantial scholarship opportunities from several schools. HYS is definitely doable with your GPA and background.

Karinne

New

Re: June or September?

Post by Karinne » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:19 pm

^ Thank you! Good advice and I've decided I will wait until September.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”