How to avoid epic LG disaster on test day Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
nyc56

New

How to avoid epic LG disaster on test day

Post by nyc56 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:15 pm

Have done almost all the games 1-80. First take was a meltdown in LG. A couple twists confuse me and I end up starting to skip games. Last 2 PTs have included LG meltdowns to the tune of -8/12. Once I initially start skipping then I begin to diagram rules wrong, and it gets even worse. I don't consider myself necessarily poor at logic games, but PTs can often jinx me. Anyone encounter this problem and overcome it?
Last edited by nyc56 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grades??

Silver

Re: How to avoid epic LG disaster on test day

Post by grades?? » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:20 pm

Just keep practicing. Take every game over and over until you get -0 every time. Dont try to remember the game, just go through the setup systematically every time. Be consistent and you will be fine.

yyyuppp

Bronze

Post by yyyuppp » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:39 pm

one thing i tried which helped me was, when re-doing games, draw the game board and then do all the questions in your head as much as you can. its hard at first, be gets easier. and you get quicker. just a suggestion

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:43 pm

Have you utilized 7 sage videos for each game? They've been a big help for me. As far as overcoming PT anxiety, try doing a warm up of 2 games (1 easy and 1 medium-hard) before taking the PT. It's extra work, but it shouldn't really fatigue you and should hopefully help you get out the test jitters.

#gobroncos

Bronze

Post by #gobroncos » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:15 pm

Something that you need to be prepared for on test day is the weird game that's in like every other test nowadays. Like actually tell yourself throughout the section "I need to stay calm. There's a weird one coming." Plenty of those weird ones exist now (with 7sage videos no less) so you can easily practice the experience of being disoriented and see after the kind of thinking those games are meant to reward.

Having the above attitude + lots of practice got me -0 in LG on December's test. You can do it!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:27 pm

That's actually one of the best things that could have happened to you. It happened to me before my take, and it made me realize that I had grown so comfortable doing logic games that I had started skipping steps and was not being as systematic as I had been.

So I figured out what went wrong, and made sure to be more careful. That increased mindfulness helped me go perfect on my LG section, even with a weird game.

So figure out what went wrong, fix it, and be happy that you had your fuck up now rather than on the real thing.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:05 am

Dcc617 wrote:That's actually one of the best things that could have happened to you. It happened to me before my take, and it made me realize that I had grown so comfortable doing logic games that I had started skipping steps and was not being as systematic as I had been.

So I figured out what went wrong, and made sure to be more careful. That increased mindfulness helped me go perfect on my LG section, even with a weird game.

So figure out what went wrong, fix it, and be happy that you had your fuck up now rather than on the real thing.
+1 to all of this.

You said you've done most of #1-80 so this might not be a huge help, but if have any LG sections you're relatively unfamiliar with (preferably completely unfamiliar with), break into them (timed, as a full set) during the weeks before test day. I had this happen too - Got overly familiar with a lot of games and, while my skills were there, the process of making inferences, etc. had grown rusty, resulting in poor scores/timing - and doing new sets got me back in the habit of slowing down, making inferences, going step-by-step, and saved me on test day.

Also, as a last resort if you're running low on games, there are 'fake games' you can find on the internet. Not a replacement for the real thing but if you're overly familiar with existing games they can be an okay supplement.

Lastly - I'd recommend doing a warm-up of totally new games on test-day (I did 2 but some people prefer less or more). Gets your brain thinking the way it needs to be thinking in time for the real thing.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:33 am

It's important to realize where you're messing up. As Platopus has said, utilize the 7sage videos. Seeing someone else make inferences (a lot of which you wouldn't realize on your own) and diagramming and explaining it is super helpful. I sometimes watch his explanations for games I don't even miss a question on if I feel like I maybe took too long or got stuck on a question.

When you first start studying, LG is the most unusual and difficult section. But once you get it down, it's actually the most enjoyable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”