Advice for slowing down? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lemonlacroix

New

Advice for slowing down?

Post by lemonlacroix » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:44 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm following the LSAT Trainer 16 week guide and I just took my first PT (156), but on each section (including LG???) I had at least 10 minutes left after my first go through. I am 100% sure my score is because of how much I was rushing. I had time to go back and did change a few of my answers (about 60% ended up being correct so that's nice). I had never done a timed full section before either so I don't have typical section scores to compare.

How do I get out of the habit of rushing before it really becomes a habit? I've always been good at handling the stress and focusing during standardized tests (and I've always been the type to finish before time) but it's never been this crazy before.

Thanks!!

Alexandros

Platinum

Re: Advice for slowing down?

Post by Alexandros » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:47 pm

Get a stopwatch and set guidelines about where you need to be for each question, and practice getting into that rhythm. It's easier to avoid rushing when you know you have a large amount of time left.
I think your first concern should be accuracy at this point, though.

lemonlacroix

New

Post by lemonlacroix » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:33 pm

Alexandros wrote:Get a stopwatch and set guidelines about where you need to be for each question, and practice getting into that rhythm. It's easier to avoid rushing when you know you have a large amount of time left.
I think your first concern should be accuracy at this point, though.
I'll definitely use the stopwatch.

Yeah accuracy is definitely my #1 concern, but I think in my case, the more I slow down, the more accurate I'll be? My final section of this PT, I made a conscious effort to slow down and my # wrong was much less than the earlier 3 sections. But I will focus on accuracy regardless!

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:22 pm

lemonlacroix wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm following the LSAT Trainer 16 week guide and I just took my first PT (156), but on each section (including LG???) I had at least 10 minutes left after my first go through. I am 100% sure my score is because of how much I was rushing. I had time to go back and did change a few of my answers (about 60% ended up being correct so that's nice). I had never done a timed full section before either so I don't have typical section scores to compare.

How do I get out of the habit of rushing before it really becomes a habit? I've always been good at handling the stress and focusing during standardized tests (and I've always been the type to finish before time) but it's never been this crazy before.

Thanks!!
i don't get this. why would you ever find it hard to stop rushing when you are rushing so much that you know you're missing a bunch of questions and still have 10 minutes per section which is an eternity in lsat time? i don't see any rationalization or benefit for rushing if you're missing that many.
i find it hard to believe people finishing every section in 25 minutes and getting all correct, it's very rare. the sections are hard enough to do in 35 minutes.

lemonlacroix

New

Post by lemonlacroix » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:29 pm

appind wrote:

Thanks!!
i don't get this. why would you ever find it hard to stop rushing when you are rushing so much that you know you're missing a bunch of questions and still have 10 minutes per section which is an eternity in lsat time? i don't see any rationalization or benefit for rushing if you're missing that many.
i find it hard to believe people finishing every section in 25 minutes and getting all correct, it's very rare. the sections are hard enough to do in 35 minutes.
This was my first PT and I'd never done a timed section before so I didn't really have a feel for how long I actually had per question. I looked at my watch but I was always thinking that I might as well get ahead in case there were trickier questions later. Now I know not to do that lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:37 pm

lemonlacroix wrote:
appind wrote:

Thanks!!
This was my first PT and I'd never done a timed section before so I didn't really have a feel for how long I actually had per question. I looked at my watch but I was always thinking that I might as well get ahead in case there were trickier questions later. Now I know not to do that lol.
The trickiest questions tend to be toward the end of the section, so you are correct in that regard. But still, 10 minutes left is way too much time left over. Usually 3-4 is enough to check back on 1-2 questions you're unsure about. I would suggest setting a timer for your phone and getting an analog wristwatch w/ some sort of stopwatch feature. Honestly though, at this point you still should be taking sections untimed until you can consistently get less than 2 questions wrong. Focus on timing after you have accuracy down.

lemonlacroix

New

Post by lemonlacroix » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:16 pm

Platopus wrote:
lemonlacroix wrote:
appind wrote:

Thanks!!
The trickiest questions tend to be toward the end of the section, so you are correct in that regard. But still, 10 minutes left is way too much time left over. Usually 3-4 is enough to check back on 1-2 questions you're unsure about. I would suggest setting a timer for your phone and getting an analog wristwatch w/ some sort of stopwatch feature. Honestly though, at this point you still should be taking sections untimed until you can consistently get less than 2 questions wrong. Focus on timing after you have accuracy down.
Yep! The stopwatch thing I'm definitely going to do. I'm following the LSAT Trainer 16 Week guide, that's the only reason I took a PT now.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:10 pm

lemonlacroix wrote: Yep! The stopwatch thing I'm definitely going to do. I'm following the LSAT Trainer 16 Week guide, that's the only reason I took a PT now.
Makes sense, if you aware of the problem now, you'll be able to correct it without issue pretty quickly. Just be conscious about time moving forward

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”