Am I doing the right things? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ggmu1992

New

Am I doing the right things?

Post by ggmu1992 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:45 pm

Just decided to retake for a third time. 167 and 169 first two times, even though I was PTing about 170-174.
Obvs, shooting as high as I can go.

I'll tell you my tendencies/history, then my plan, then you can tell me if I've got the right Idea?

History

The December LSAT: -5 LR, -4 LG, -4 RC

During practice tests, I routinely get 0, -1, or -2 on LR and RC, but always bank on -2 to -4 on Logic Games. I've never done a perfect logic games section, except maybe once (timed, at least. The time constraint is my issue--i get stuck sometimes).

First time I studied, I used Power Score books, and then just took practice tests. Didn't learn about the concept of "drilling" until recently (I thought re-taking Logic games sections seemed useless, but I'm going to trust people's advice on here that it is a skill that benefits from repetition).

Study Plan

Since LG is my weakness, and people say it should be perfect, I'm going to do this:

Assuming I study 5 days a week: 3 days drilling LG, 1 day doing practice sections of LR/RC (just to stay in the groove with those, maybe improve a bit).

I'm going to do that for a bout a month (now to mid-may), and then the month before the test (mid-may to mid-june), I'll throw a couple practice tests per week into that (or, whenever I get LG perfect, Ill start PTing).

Is there anything else I should add to this? I've lurked a lot around the admissions side of this forum, but not a ton around the LSAT prep (I didn't find TLS till after applying), so I could be missing conventional wisdom.

...sorry for all those parentheticals

Platopus

Gold

Re: Am I doing the right things?

Post by Platopus » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:33 pm

Yes, you should definitely aim to improve LG to -0. At this point, RC and LR won't deteriorate, so a couple sections every other day should be sufficient to at least maintain. Absolutely watch every 7 sage video for every game that you miss any question on, if you haven't done so already. Additionally, focus on specific game types that seem to give you the most trouble. Also take a look at the older (1-20) games, as some of these are a bit unusual, and a weird game is certainly a strong possibility on test day. However, I would start incorporating PT's sooner than just a month out, or perhaps bump it to 2 tests a week in that final month.

McMooch

New

Re: Am I doing the right things?

Post by McMooch » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:17 pm

Platopus wrote:Yes, you should definitely aim to improve LG to -0. At this point, RC and LR won't deteriorate, so a couple sections every other day should be sufficient to at least maintain. Absolutely watch every 7 sage video for every game that you miss any question on, if you haven't done so already. Additionally, focus on specific game types that seem to give you the most trouble. Also take a look at the older (1-20) games, as some of these are a bit unusual, and a weird game is certainly a strong possibility on test day. However, I would start incorporating PT's sooner than just a month out, or perhaps bump it to 2 tests a week in that final month.
I 100% agree with this. Unless you're getting all LG's right, you're not fully understanding the problem. That is not the case with LR or RC.
7Sage is extremely helpful, and unfortunately the PS book on Logic Games leaves what to be desired.

Best way to study for LG is to drill similar games so that you nail down the skills before moving to the next type.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”