stuck at 169 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lawschoolgirl312

Bronze

stuck at 169

Post by lawschoolgirl312 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi,

I have taken the LSAT twice now, 163 and then 160. I was PT-ing around 169 during both takes too and now I'm stuck at PT-ing at 169. I'm worried that I won't do better on the June test.

Is it possible to pull my PT to a 173-174 in the next two months before going into the test? Or should I sit out until the September test? I'm just really worried now because its my last shot..

I usually miss 3-4 per LR section, -1 on LG, and 5-8 per RC section. I've done all the material at least twice now...so I also cant tell if I'm truly understanding or if I am just memorizing the answers.

lakers180

Bronze

Re: stuck at 169

Post by lakers180 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:06 pm

try to identify what type of LR question you're missing, then drill that type. that should help you get that down to 1-2. also what type of question are you missing on logic games, that should be -0. those two corrections will help you get 170 +.

Neil_Gorsuch

New

Post by Neil_Gorsuch » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:15 pm

For every game that you get at least one question wrong in or took you an inordinate amount of time. Do it five more times with zero wrong and in time. Also, write up explanations for each LR question that you get wrong. I didn't employ these strategies on my first two takes and they've been helping a lot.

I haven't been getting almost any wrong on RC recently, but I'd practice absorbing every part of the passage and fully visualizing, it, as well as marking the general structure of the passage with notes.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:17 pm

Neil_Gorsuch wrote:For every game that you get at least one question wrong in or took you an inordinate amount of time. Do it five more times with zero wrong and in time. Also, write up explanations for each LR question that you get wrong. I didn't employ these strategies on my first two takes and they've been helping a lot.
^ This

OP, exactly what he said about LG and redoing it is what got me good and fast at them. Except I pushed myself a bit more to the extreme with LG, as in, if I got 1 question wrong in a section, I would redo the entire section over again instead of just the 1 game. Might seem extreme, but you can never go wrong with redoing games.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:20 pm

Mikey wrote:
Neil_Gorsuch wrote:For every game that you get at least one question wrong in or took you an inordinate amount of time. Do it five more times with zero wrong and in time. Also, write up explanations for each LR question that you get wrong. I didn't employ these strategies on my first two takes and they've been helping a lot.
^ This

OP, exactly what he said about LG and redoing it is what got me good and fast at them. Except I pushed myself a bit more to the extreme with LG, as in, if I got 1 question wrong in a section, I would redo the entire section over again instead of just the 1 game. Might seem extreme, but you can never go wrong with redoing games.
While I agree with everything you said, OP is only missing -1 on a regular basis. I am a firm believer that everyone CAN go -0 in LG, but there seems to be a lot more work that would be better focused in LR or RC. The best way to analyze and improve in LR is to focus on what you get incorrect. If you miss a problem, write at least a paragraph summarizing why you missed it and what the right answer is. Write out why each and every problem is correct or incorrect. If there is a trend in missing questions from certain question types, go back into your books/curriculum and focus on those problems. Reread the content and then drill that question type. While you are drilling, write the summaries for each question as I mentioned earlier. It will burn these underlying theories and patterns into your subconscious and it will become muscle memory down the line.

I suck at RC myself, so maybe check out some of the guides on here that others have posted. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... f=6&t=7240

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:28 pm

TWiiX wrote:
Mikey wrote:
^ This

While I agree with everything you said, OP is only missing -1 on a regular basis. I am a firm believer that everyone CAN go -0 in LG, but there seems to be a lot more work that would be better focused in LR or RC. The best way to analyze and improve in LR is to focus on what you get incorrect. If you miss a problem, write at least a paragraph summarizing why you missed it and what the right answer is. Write out why each and every problem is correct or incorrect. If there is a trend in missing questions from certain question types, go back into your books/curriculum and focus on those problems. Reread the content and then drill that question type. While you are drilling, write the summaries for each question as I mentioned earlier. It will burn these underlying theories and patterns into your subconscious and it will become muscle memory down the line.

I suck at RC myself, so maybe check out some of the guides on here that others have posted. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... f=6&t=7240
oh yeah definitely. I do agree that OP should focus more on LR and RC since they're only getting -1 on LG. I was just elaborating on what Neil said :P

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:53 am

TWiiX wrote:
Mikey wrote:
^ This

Seconding this advice. I would focus more time on LR and especially RC. For some reason people seem to have a mental block on RC that kills their confidence and prevents them from making improvements. Personally, slowing down while reading the passages has really helped me. Additionally, remember that all RC answers need to be consistent. Take your time on the 1st question (usually a Main Point question), and use this to help guide you through you answers for other questions. For LR, you might try as others have suggested. Review is where LR points are made-up. You absolutely need to review very thoroughly. For timing on LR you need to work to the point where you can confidently pre-phrase certain answers and simply move-on. It's a bit risky, but especially in the early questions, you'll almost always be right, and it saves tons of time. I would be more cautious on the more difficult questions, but hopefully by being able to cut down 2-3 easy questions to about 20 seconds, you'll have plenty of time to work through the 3-4 hardest questions.

YBF-W

New

Post by YBF-W » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:50 am

Platopus wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
Mikey wrote:
^ This

Seconding this advice. I would focus more time on LR and especially RC. For some reason people seem to have a mental block on RC that kills their confidence and prevents them from making improvements. Personally, slowing down while reading the passages has really helped me. Additionally, remember that all RC answers need to be consistent. Take your time on the 1st question (usually a Main Point question), and use this to help guide you through you answers for other questions. For LR, you might try as others have suggested. Review is where LR points are made-up. You absolutely need to review very thoroughly. For timing on LR you need to work to the point where you can confidently pre-phrase certain answers and simply move-on. It's a bit risky, but especially in the early questions, you'll almost always be right, and it saves tons of time. I would be more cautious on the more difficult questions, but hopefully by being able to cut down 2-3 easy questions to about 20 seconds, you'll have plenty of time to work through the 3-4 hardest questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”